PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
So I pulled the trigger on this Ashton army mount. I gravitate towards traditional British shapes with understated style (don't love silver on a pipe) and have been looking for an army mount, so this fit the bill. On its way to me. I was wavering between this and a Claudio Cavicchi (possibly a better pipe for the money, not sure) but just found I prefer "classical" to "neoclassical" style. Will be my first Ashton.

1609347648114.png

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Thanks. I swore up and down I wouldn't buy a new pipe for long time. And here I am! I was "just browsing" -- I find looking at the various offerings relaxing -- but apparently that is risky. At least I thought this one through for a good long while.

I've been able to refine what I like in a pipe -- ideal for me is 5.8" - 6" and weight around 1.5 oz, with a chamber that is not too deep. This fit the bill (a tad over 6").

Will be interesting to see the relative quality of the new Ashtons.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I keep eyeing Ashtons, and that’s a beaut. My Castello black army mount is actually acrylic on both sides. It makes for a precise and forgiving fit. Does that Ashton have an acrylic mount on the shank, or is it black painted metal?
It said the mount is “ebonite” and which i assume means acrylic or is it their version of vulcanite, same as the stem? Not sure.

Reactions: Casual

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So I pulled the trigger on this Ashton army mount. I gravitate towards traditional British shapes with understated style (don't love silver on a pipe) and have been looking for an army mount, so this fit the bill. On its way to me. I was wavering between this and a Claudio Cavicchi (possibly a better pipe for the money, not sure) but just found I prefer "classical" to "neoclassical" style. Will be my first Ashton.

View attachment 57793
Careful attaching and removing the stem on that one. Ebonite to ebonite friction can cause significant wear. Instead of twisting, press it in to insert it, and wiggle it back and forth to break the friction to remove it. That's less of a military mount and more of a ferrule fitting as the stem makes no contact with the briar.

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
Careful attaching and removing the stem on that one. Ebonite to ebonite friction can cause significant wear. Instead of twisting, press it in to insert it, and wiggle it back and forth to break the friction to remove it. That's less of a military mount and more of a ferrule fitting as the stem makes no contact with the briar.
Thanks for that tip. By the way, I’ve seen your collection of beautiful pipes (are they zulus, horns or dublins?) and came close to buying one for a change of pace. Maybe next time.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
By the way, I’ve seen your collection of beautiful pipes (are they zulus, horns or dublins?)
Savinelli calls them "yachtsmen" though they are just embellished dublins. A zulu and a horn have forward canted chambers where Savinelli's yachtsman has the chamber vertical with the illusion of a cant. They also have a conical chamber where a zulu has a cylindrical one. Many of the new ones have acrylic stems so I tend to only buy the older ones with vulcanite.