PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
With that new Sobranie, it was definitely ash. I'd run cleaner thru, take a couple of puffs, same thing. It did this on several pipes. I never had anything remotely like that before, in fact I've never before or since had to run a cleaner thru any of my pipes while smoking. I gave up on the Sobranie, it was OK, but certainly not worth that hassle.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks Al, it seems to be a combi of pipe and tobacco. The tobacco doesnt do it with all pipes, and the pipe doesnt do it with all tobaccos. That feels like an answer :)

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Once in a great while I have this problem. What I usually do is too run a pipe cleaner into the airway, enough so that I know it has run down into the bowl. I then use my pick too lightly stir the ash itself and then lightly dump, removing the ash. Then I retamp what is left evening it in the bowl remove the pipe cleaner, relight and puff away. Sometimes If I've over packed I do the same thing, then with the pipe cleaner still in the airway I'll stir the baccy in the bowl using my pick, then lightly repack, remove the pipe cleaner, relight and puff away.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
I tried this last night... Unfortunately the pipe that does it is made for a filter that I don't put in, and it is a bent stem, so it is really hard to direct the pipe cleaner to the bowl! it has to go round the stem, through the filter chamber and find the small hole on the other side, then round the final bent to the bowl. PITA

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Unfortunately the pipe that does it is made for a filter that I don't put in
That could be part of your problem. You can get a adapter to replace the filter, that would restrict the draw somewhat. What kind of pipe? Stanwell sells the adapters I believe, but they probably fit other pipes.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Its only a fairly cheap jbr adventure. The problem would be getting hold of an adaptor in my area. One to look into though :)

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
This happens to me frequently when I smoke cube cut burley. Very frustrating when you're on the go and you don't have a pipe cleaner handy. Now I know this goes against common pipe protocol, but I will take my pipe apart mid bowl and stick the pipe tool pick through the shank and into the bowl to clear the blockage. DO NOT do this if you are using a valuable pipe because it could easily crack or break. I smoke a crappy $20 briar and a cob so I'm kind of rough on my pipes.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yes, I routinely take the stem off and blow through it if it's wet or needs attention -- even though one isn't supposed to remove hot stems, I've never had a problem with a loose stem in 40+ years!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Let the pipe cool, remove the stem and then run the cleaner into it.......... I've been known to take stems off while the pipe is hot and guess I've been lucky, as so far, no ill effects from this. But once I'm smoking, I hate to take the time for the pipe to cool. :)

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thats exactly the problem smokindawg, having to wait for it to cool before using the pipe cleaner. Makes it too much of a PITA, may as well just use a different one! But i don't give up that easy...

Status
Not open for further replies.