PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Hello, so I have been experiencing ash/dottle blocking the air hole of a couple of my pipes, only made worse by using my pipe tool pointy bit to try and improve airflow. Does anyone have any genius (or common sense) ways to prevent this? I don't think I'm tamping too hard...

Thanks

Stuart

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Hey snewton,

It depends on how you're using the pick. Try running the pick along the same side of the bowl as the airhole, not in the middle. Also, you can try blowing lightly into the bowl as you're smoking to clear out ash and move the dottle.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks Bootleg, I do actually run it down directly infront of the hole against the side, but I havent tried the blowing idea, was a bit worried it would heat up the pipe unnecessarily, but I think I will give it a go, cheers :)

cajunguy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
Very good advice from Bootleg. I do the same when I get a clog. I'd like to add one thing though: in case it is very densely packed or clogged at the bottom of the bowl, I'd put your thumb over the top of the bowl as you blow. I've had a big wad of tobacco come flying out the pipe before.
I laughed. But then I realized I'd just lost tobacco. Then I was sad.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Ah a pipecleaner! common sense it is then... Don't believe that didn't occur to me... hehe now I feel stupid

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Sounds as though you are packing a bit too tight from the start mate. Gravity fill untill your bowl is full, then press down gently, continue to add baccy untill the bowl is full again, press down gently, then fire er up and you should be OK. dnjoy

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Thanks Nsfisher, that is the method I use but I would agree that on occasion I do pack a bit too tight when not paying attention. Have been working on that one. Cheers!

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Here is the pipe smokers 8 comandmants.
1)Make sure that your pipe is cleaned before loading and packing fresh tobacco.

2)Use Less Tobacco Than You Think You Need.

3)Pack Looser Than You Think You Need To.

4)Always Check the Draw of the Pipe Before Lighting.

5)Always leave at least 1/8 of an inch of space from the top of the tobacco to the rim.

6)Perform a Charring Light.

7)Tamp Less Frequently and With Less Pressure.

8)And its ok to relight.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I only experienced that once, with the new Balkan Sobranie. It was so frustrating, that I sold the nearly new tin. Ash blocked the air hole in several pipes during the smoke. That has been the only tobacco so far that has given me this issue.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Here's what I don't get... ash is blocking the air hole. The air is at the bottom of the bowl. If you have ash at the bottom of the bowl (blocking the air hole), then the bowl is DONE.
What am I missing?

annapolispipes

Might Stick Around
Feb 14, 2012
Annapolis, MD
I see what you're saying @bigvan. I don't think it's ash at all. I think it's a combination of packing too tightly, smoking too hot and fast... moisture is building up too fast and as a result he has a soup thing going on at the bottom. I'd take @tokerpipes advice. That'll fix it for sure. I was the same way when I first started smoking. Applying some simple things to a routine for a smoke as stated above and you'll get so much more out of smoking the pipe.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Lol Bigvan,
I'm pretty sure everyone else read between the lines and knew that he didn't mean to say ash.
There is probably wet/compressed tobacco pieces blocking the airway. There's no way it's ash. Even if some ash got to the bottom when you were poking around with your pick tool when you sucked on the pipe all the ash would go into your mouth.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Ah fair point,I suppose it is more towards the bottom of the bowl, ash does seem to get into the hole when it is about halfway done, not sure exactly how it happens, but it does. It occurs if I tamp but obviously it will need tamping at some point. I know most people would just say I must be tamping too hard but obviously, given my problem I am careful of this.

snewton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2012
UK
Well some does get to my mouth too, I appreciate all the help but I'v gotta say Im not too daft and know what is ash and what isnt. the 2 pipes it happens in are very dry smokers, and i have plenty that it doesnt happen in. I dont smoke too hot because i don't like a hot pipe, I am a sipper. I think spartan is closest that when I use my tool it May be the cause. To be complete;y fair it has only really been a problem in 1 pipe, but then today i purchased another peterson 106 and the only bowl I have had so far did a little bit similar, spurring me to ask the question with this thread. Cheers

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When I get this problem, it's usually a larger than usual flake or a bit of stem. I find I can often use the pick from the stem side to move it out of the way (If I can't get the pick in, that pipe's a candidate for a re-drill! :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.