As a Perique Lover, I Wish I Still Drank!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

56 Fresh Estate Pipes
12 Fresh BriarWorks Pipes
8 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
18 Fresh Chacom Pipes
3 Fresh Wandi Riyadi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Nuts!

Who gets up one morning and decides it would be a good idea, and maybe even profitable, to make a liquor with Perique tobacco leaf?
Yeh, I am sure that somewhere in Kentucky, there was someone running a still at one of the distilleries that pitched the idea of adding some RedMan chewing tobacco to a whisky. Call it... Swallin' a Mouthful.... or, Wrong Cup.

It is funny that it's made in France. In French saying perique is like calling it "Cock," or "schlong."

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Yeh, I am sure that somewhere in Kentucky, there was someone running a still at one of the distilleries that pitched the idea of adding some RedMan chewing tobacco to a whisky. Call it... Swallin' a Mouthful.... or, Wrong Cup.

It is funny that it's made in France. In French saying perique is like calling it "Cock," or "schlong."
Chewing tobacco was actually a common additive to "frontier whiskey."

"The type of whiskey one might find in a watering hole, such as shown in Thomas's work, would likely not be familiar to modern drinkers. By all accounts, it could be pretty vile. Quality and flavor varied widely, as there were few standards or regulations on its manufacture. Some of the more popular nicknames from the Wild West-era might give a clue as to the nature of frontier whiskey: "Mountain Howitzer," "Coffin Varnish," “Tarantula Juice,” "Stagger Soup,” "Chain-lightning," "Strychnine," and "Tangleleg."
Following the Civil War, Western distillers producing the early version of bourbon supplied only about 10 percent of the whiskey market. Some of this liquor was actually distilled from a low-grade variety of molasses, to which could be added burnt sugar, glycerin, prune juice, and sulfuric acid. The remaining whiskies began as grain neutral spirits, which were distilled from corn, rye, or wheat of cheap and uncertain quality at 190 degrees proof or above ( at least 95% alcohol by volume). Grain neutral spirits offered little in the way of flavor or variety. Typically, they were sold to rectifiers who redistilled and mixed them with whatever was readily available, including old shoes, chewing tobacco, turpentine, gunpowder, molasses, or burnt sugar, until the end result resembled whiskey. This "rot gut" was frequently given an extra “kick” by adding cayenne pepper. The product was then sold to wholesalers, who bought liquor in bulk and added additional water, more grain neutral spirits, and other ingredients to increase the inventory and, thus, profits. This step was also usually where any aging occurred. Naturally, the final product had an extremely high alcohol and fusel oil content.
"Indian whiskey" was a homemade alcohol, similar to the later "bathtub gin." Edward Charles "Teddy Blue" Abbott, an English-born trail driver, claimed the concoction was invented by Missouri River traders. He described the recipe in his memoirs: "Take one barrel of Missouri River water, and two gallons of alcohol. Then you add two ounces of strychnine to make them crazy -- because strychnine is the greatest stimulant in the world -- three bars of tobacco to make them sick -- because an Indian wouldn't figure it was whisky unless it made him sick -- five bars of soap to give it a bead, and a half pound of red pepper, and then you put some sage brush and boil it until it's brown. Strain this into a barrel and you've got Indian Whisky."

Chewing tobacco was actually a common additive to "frontier whiskey."

"The type of whiskey one might find in a watering hole, such as shown in Thomas's work, would likely not be familiar to modern drinkers. By all accounts, it could be pretty vile. Quality and flavor varied widely, as there were few standards or regulations on its manufacture. Some of the more popular nicknames from the Wild West-era might give a clue as to the nature of frontier whiskey: "Mountain Howitzer," "Coffin Varnish," “Tarantula Juice,” "Stagger Soup,” "Chain-lightning," "Strychnine," and "Tangleleg."
Following the Civil War, Western distillers producing the early version of bourbon supplied only about 10 percent of the whiskey market. Some of this liquor was actually distilled from a low-grade variety of molasses, to which could be added burnt sugar, glycerin, prune juice, and sulfuric acid. The remaining whiskies began as grain neutral spirits, which were distilled from corn, rye, or wheat of cheap and uncertain quality at 190 degrees proof or above ( at least 95% alcohol by volume). Grain neutral spirits offered little in the way of flavor or variety. Typically, they were sold to rectifiers who redistilled and mixed them with whatever was readily available, including old shoes, chewing tobacco, turpentine, gunpowder, molasses, or burnt sugar, until the end result resembled whiskey. This "rot gut" was frequently given an extra “kick” by adding cayenne pepper. The product was then sold to wholesalers, who bought liquor in bulk and added additional water, more grain neutral spirits, and other ingredients to increase the inventory and, thus, profits. This step was also usually where any aging occurred. Naturally, the final product had an extremely high alcohol and fusel oil content.
"Indian whiskey" was a homemade alcohol, similar to the later "bathtub gin." Edward Charles "Teddy Blue" Abbott, an English-born trail driver, claimed the concoction was invented by Missouri River traders. He described the recipe in his memoirs: "Take one barrel of Missouri River water, and two gallons of alcohol. Then you add two ounces of strychnine to make them crazy -- because strychnine is the greatest stimulant in the world -- three bars of tobacco to make them sick -- because an Indian wouldn't figure it was whisky unless it made him sick -- five bars of soap to give it a bead, and a half pound of red pepper, and then you put some sage brush and boil it until it's brown. Strain this into a barrel and you've got Indian Whisky."
Yeh, Bourbon is the US drink that has followed all of the rules. It is strictly regulated. But whisky, any ol' shit can be added to whisky. You are never fully sure what is in it. Whisky is when bourbon doesn't follow the rules. Even Jack Daniels has be caught blending itself with stock from other makers. Nothing illegal about it, because there are almost no regulations for whisky.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The lengths they’ve gone to to replace the lost marketshare since I quit never ceases to amaze me😆
I know I cut back and suddenly all these weird things hit the market.
I like to think it'd be good, maybe using the perique barrels somewhere in the process of making it. But your probably right about it not being good.
I loathe the thought of it having artificial flavors to mimic the taste of perique.
worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen? The worst is it's really good and you finish the whole thing without thinking about it and wake up with the worst hangover and the mystery of whose blood am I covered in.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I know I cut back and suddenly all these weird things hit the market.

worth a shot. What's the worst that can happen? The worst is it's really good and you finish the whole thing without thinking about it and wake up with the worst hangover and the mystery of whose blood am I covered in.
I quit drinking, fortunately/unfortunately. Comin up on 2 years.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Oh I'll bet it's not great, I'm more tongue in cheek when I express my desire for it.
But man has it peaked my interest
I was thinking alcohol in general. Also that's my go to line when someone lies about never having had a drink. (actually most people are telling the truth but I did find out that an 18 year old who told me they never drank, really should have said they only did a few times and learned real fast that they never should drink). But while I enjoy the stuff, it's kind of lame when you think about it. Also teaches you how useful yet annoying having a working brain actually is (that's pretty much all it does is turns bits of your brain off from least important functions to most).

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
I was thinking alcohol in general. Also that's my go to line when someone lies about never having had a drink. (actually most people are telling the truth but I did find out that an 18 year old who told me they never drank, really should have said they only did a few times and learned real fast that they never should drink). But while I enjoy the stuff, it's kind of lame when you think about it. Also teaches you how useful yet annoying having a working brain actually is (that's pretty much all it does is turns bits of your brain off from least important functions to most).
It's been nice having a clear mind after being "absent" for the last decade plus.
Now I just buy my wife fancy booze and encourage her to enjoy them, because somebody has to.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never expected cigar leaf in a pipe tobacco blend to make it taste like a cigar. And I like chocolate as chocolate and not a flavor with tobacco. So I'd approach this with caution. To me, liqueurs are best in small quantities.

Funny about the meaning of Perique in French.

Maybe a nice glass of a known brand of bourbon instead.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Sorry to those who are longing to try it, but I don't think I'm missing much...I'll just stick to smoking my perique :sher: