PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
Came across this bit of info on another smoking site:
There is such a thing as "artificial" tobacco!! It is made from long, wide sheets of cigarette paper which is sprayed with "juice" that is rendered from boiled down floor sweepings, scrap tobacco, molded tobacco, stale returned cigarettes, and added chemicals. The paper is then shredded to the same size as the shredded tobacco. It is primarily used in commercially produced cigarettes. Some pipe tobacco producers include the "all natural tobacco" statement to let the smoker know that the tobacco does not contain any of this "artificial" tobacco.

foxinabox

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Instantly confirmed by your first puff from any prefabricated cigarette. Don't forget the carpet-glue tainted FSC tubes, too. These evil impostors give tobacco its bad name.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Its absolutely true. Google sheet tobacco. The other thing they add to commercial cigarettes (Marlboro, Camel etc) is puff tobacco. Just like popcorn but a chemical process that blows the tobacco up to 3-4 times its normal size. I also roll my own with Daughters & Ryan, better than any brand I've ever smoked but then its 100% real tobacco and modeled after the great old blends.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Came across this bit of info on another smoking site:
There is such a thing as "artificial" tobacco!! It is made from long, wide sheets of cigarette paper which is sprayed with "juice" that is rendered from boiled down floor sweepings, scrap tobacco, molded tobacco, stale returned cigarettes, and added chemicals. The paper is then shredded to the same size as the shredded tobacco. It is primarily used in commercially produced cigarettes. Some pipe tobacco producers include the "all natural tobacco" statement to let the smoker know that the tobacco does not contain any of this "artificial" tobacco.
Sheet tobacco is certainly out there, used by the cigarette industry and by makers of some cheap cigars. But, it's not quite what this would make it seem to be. It's basically reclaimed tobacco, tobacco cutoffs, dust from the cutter, and so on, and when it's used, at least in the cigarette world, it's used in small percentages. The reclaimed tobaccos are ground, made into a pulp, like paper, then cut and blended with first-run tobacco when the cigarettes are being made. Additionally, there's something known as CRS, cut rolled stems, that are used as filler. Usually, tobacco is made from the lamina, the thin leafy parts, and the stems are discarded. Some companies try to save money by using some of that stem. (And, some of the big European and UK pipe tobacco producers have used it, as well. The fabled Balkan Sobranie, for instance, in its later incarnations contained about 5% CRS in the formulae I've seen. Another reason to support small, boutique blending houses that are run by tobacco people who care about the product, not by accountants who care about the bottom line. Just sayin'.)
Some of the ultra-cheap cigars are produced with a homogenized "wrapper," that same paper-like reconstituted sheet.
I'm not defending it. I don't like the stuff, would never use it, and don't want to smoke it, but it's not quite as bad as "cigarette paper sprayed with juice" makes it sound. ;)

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for the clarification Mr. Pease. I'm going to show this to every cig smoker in America.
Bwahahaha! :twisted:

vegasblue

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2012
You can usually see it under a strong magnifier or a microscope. Ive actually done that with a few really cheap cigarettes and it is just horrible how little tobacco is in there!

smooth

Might Stick Around
Jan 10, 2012
Seems to me that once again, as so often in our current lives, we find out again about something we all really dislike. So we voice our displeasure, remain ignored by the powers that be, and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.