PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Last night I smoked Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake in the presence of my wife, who I have had a very hard time finding a blend that she likes. She really liked Bullseye. She doesn't like any aro that I could find. I suppose she just likes the smell of a good quality VA/Per. Who would have guessed? I am pleased :) I am really getting a taste for Bullseye Flake.

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
My Grandfather smoked Mixture #79 It had a great room note very pleasnt.

I have not gotten my hands on any, but in researching the blend it did'nt get very good reviews . If anyone out there has tried it I would love to hear about what you think.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
My Grandfather smoked Mixture #79 It had a great room note very pleasnt.

I have not gotten my hands on any, but in researching the blend it did'nt get very good reviews . If anyone out there has tried it I would love to hear about what you think.
In short, I think it is a good mild tobacco.
I have some Mixture 79 that I bought 5 - 6 years ago. I smoked some then, and I smoked some from the same pouch last year. It is a fine mild tobacco. I do not recall it being very aromatic. My recollection is that it is a straight-forward tobacco taste that is mild and pleasant. There is not loads of flavor, but there is some.
It is kind of like Prince Albert or Sir Walter Raleigh, but maybe a little more flavorful, perhaps with a hint of rum.
That's my best recollection from smoking it about 6 months ago, so don't hold me to it for 100% accuracy.
I would give it a shot.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have always wanted to try Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic. That is the blend that my grandfather smoked. I have memories of him dipping his pipe and thumb in one fell swoop, into the bag and back out, with a perfectly filled pipe. It always smelled so good when he had that pipe going. I worshiped that dude. He taught me so much about some very important things, that I am just now starting to understand. I wondered if I could be objective, when I tried his smoke. Anyway, I had a couple of pouches added to my Christmas order. Last week, I tried it for the first time. I had no problem being objective. I have smoked and tested many blends since I took up the pipe. My grandfather died in 91, as well. So, the smell was a faint memory. The tobacco tasted nothing like I thought it would. Very perfumy. Flavoured with liqueurs, from France and Holland I understand. It's a pretty good smoke. Lightly topped and pretty dry. No gurgling, and it did not foul up my pipe. I guess I was somewhat disappointed that the smell and taste did not bring back many memories, but the blue striped bag certainly did. :)

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have have found a crowd pleaser. In and around LA, that is hard to find. It is Lane MV1000. Lightly flavored, burley, and Virginia shag. I have gotten many good comments on the smell, from total strangers on the street. My wife likes it as well, which is always a plus.

surfmac211

Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
My wife tends to just like the smell of straight Virginias. She lets me smoke G.L. Pease Union Square and Nat Sherman Liberty Golden Virginia in our computer room with the door closed lol. Thanks again Kevin for that recommendation. Anyone know of any straight gold Virginias that they like?

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey Mick... That's a great idea, trying Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic that is. I may have to give it a try as well. Many years back I lived in a small town in Colorado that didn't have a B&M so all of my tobacco came from a drug store and I would smoke SW for a change up from my regular CBW.
By the way try brushing your teeth with straight baking soda 2 or 3 times a week to help remove the staining you mentioned. It does a pretty go job on coffee, tea, and tobacco stains.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks JC. Iwill give it a try. I thought about just getting a full set of gold teeth. I drink way too much coffee and tea.

condorguy

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
Condor Original Ready Rubbed has a wonderful home-and-hearth room note. My (non pipe-smoking) buddies are always telling me how much they love the smell when I fire up a bowl around them.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I just got 2 ozs. of Peter Stokkebye Highland Whiskey, and evryone tells me it smells great. I really like the flavor, as well. It taste like scotch.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
My wife loves this:

Quoted from "The Briary"'s Web site:
Baklava This is an aromatic with a honey nut topping that consists of Virginias, Carolinas, and "seasoned with a hint of Oriental and Burley-Virginia Cake Cavendish".
And it tastes great.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Mick, I have been smoking the PS Highland Whiskey for quite a while. Excellent and FAR better than the PS Whiskey blend. Smells nice too!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
You should also give Esoterica St. Ives a try. Its a cross over blend, part english, part aro and a great smoke. I'd also recommend Esoterica Pembroke, an english with a cognac topping, unique and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.