PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
My wife only approves aromatics in the house. Otherwise I smoke mostly English blends. My favorite aromatic is a blend called "Hobbits weed", which has a vanilla and chocolate taste and smell. The B&M I buy this from tells me they blend this themselves. Other than this I smoke Peter Stokkebye Nougate, P.S. French Vanilla or Lane 1Q. Some Aros are too sweet and leave gunk in the pipe. Anyone else have favorite aromatics?

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
There are quite a few Aromatics that I enjoy smoking. Too many to list but here are a few that IMO are really good and well done Aromatics:
Dan Milonga

Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Samuel Gawith Fire Dance Flake

Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake

G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake

G&H Rum Flake

G.L. Pease Barbary Coast

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I like to mix Lane BCA with a good English like P.S. Proper English. I call it Mick's Mix. Makes a good smoke without the goop. It works best with an English with a high Latakia content. 1/3 BCA 2/3 English. A compromise of sorts. I like it. Picked it up from a B&M in Encino a few years back. Lou's. RIP Lou.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
These are aros I enjoy, all with excellent room notes and little goopiness:

• McClelland: Mellow Mack (my #1 aro)[/*]
  • McClelland: Holiday Spirit (biggest crowd pleaser it seems after only a few bowls)[/*]
  • Peterson: Connoisseur's Choice[/*]
  • Dan: Sweet Vanilla Honeydew[/*]
And, though not strictly an aro since it's a crossover english/aro, Esoterica's Pembroke gives the satisfaction of an english delicately cased with cognac to give it an excellent room note.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I have been on a six month quest to try and find a tobacco that smells good to my wife. So many. Solani X mystery, Devils Holiday, P.S. French Vanilla, Blue Note, Lane 1Q, Treasures of Ireland Galway, and others. Nothing has worked. To tell the the truth I am sick of Aros. My Christmas order was C&D Bow Legged Bear, P.S. Bulls Eye Flake, Count Polaski, P.S. Proper English. My last hope on Aros the wife may like is Sir Walter Raliegh Aro. which my grandfather smoked. She always talked about how good his pipe smelled. God rest his soul. We shall see.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Oh yeah. I forget the British Woods and the SPC Plum Pudding. Maybe the Plum Pudding has a good note. Happy holidays indeed.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I am surprised that none of those aro's have worked!
You could try Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. My wife loves the room note of that.
Also H&H Egg Nog, McClelland Holiday Spirit, and Peterson Merry Xmas and Happy New Year 2009 all are recent blends that I have smoked with great room notes that my wife likes.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Thanks Bob I will. You know it is strange that my 18 and 20 year old sons, and their girlfriends like the way all of them smell. Even the English, Balkans, and Vapers. I think maybe my wife has developed an allergy to all smoke. It could be some P.C. creeping in. Oh well.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I can not believe it. After all the searching. I hit paydirt. My wife let me sample a couple of blends from my Christmas order before they went under the tree. She loves the smell of Count Pulaski. It is not even an Aro. CP is also a great tasting blend. What a woman! Wonders never cease.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
WOW! I am amazed that she likes the aroma of Count Pulaski!
I like that blend, but it does have quite a bit of Latakia in it. I am surprised that she prefers the aroma of that compared to all of the Aro's that you have tried.
But then again, she is a woman. I guess when a man figures out the mind of a woman, death must be close for that man, lol.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I know. I gives me hope for the Plum Pudding in my Christmas order, and maybe the Bullseye Flake. Maybe she likes the more natural flavors. I have no hope for the British Woods, or the PS Proper English. I really can't taste much Latakia in the Count though. I do love the flavor. It was my first time trying Count Pulaski, and I have 8 ozs. Merry Christmas indeed.

whiskeymick

Lurker
Dec 18, 2009
London UK
It's the same the whole world over - my good lady wife will begrudgingly tolerate me smoking just about anything indoors (except perhaps Ashton's Artisan's Blend or Balkan Sobranie when it was about). It's a trade off between the voracity of her comments and the temperature in the garden! I've been known to feel unwelcome enough to have to smoke outside in winter! She loves however, anything with black cherries in and tells me I'm a walking joss-stick. She's not mad keen on my everyday baccy which is Germain's Special Latakia Flake. Try Petersons' Merry Christmas 2009 mixture for a reasonable smoke and a half-decent room note. Peterson describe it as: Red and golden virginias with two kinds of black cavendish. A delicious and intense flavour of baked apples, roasted almonds and bourbon vanilla. A touch of wishfull thinking maybe but try it and make up your own mind ..... :)

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
My 2 sons like their "weed" and they don't mind my weed. I don't mind their weed. I just try to keep my wife's Royal Crown flowing. In the morning I am on the patio. Sometimes in the bathroom with the laptop on the loo with the exhaust fan blowing.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Women can be strange ( but they say the same thing about men! ) My first wife hated smoking in general and aromatics in particular, but and I've always found this strange, she didn't mind either Condor or St. Bruno in the house.
My favourite and I still smoke it is Benson and Hedges Mellow Virginia - it has a lovely honeyed "nose" and offers a satisfying smoke. Mind you, I don't know if it's available on the other side of the Pond!
Best to all
Gerry

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
One thing I hate about smoking heavily cased aromatics, is the way they stain my teeth. Anyone got a tip for getting those stains out? I brush my teeth about five times a day, but I still have the stains. I also use filters.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
"Anyone got a tip for getting those stains out?"
I just use the teeth bleaching stuff you find in the supermarket.
It's effects seem to last for years.
I haven't used it in 1.5 years and still have very white teeth. They used to be yellow.

falconeer

Lurker
Dec 17, 2009
Hi All,
If it's your own teeth ( not the ones you bought! ) try biting into a slice of lemon - it'll sting your gums like the devil but it will shift stains - follow it with a glass of your favourite spirits and the taste will be fine and the gums will be anaesthetised nicely,
Best as usual
Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.