PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake is a solid VaBur flake under the topping. I’ve long thought it would make an excellent smoke on its own.

Sillem’s Musketeer is about 1/2 cube cut burley, and the tobacco does not get lost.

If you like deer tongue, C&D Engine 382 is very good.

I get good results mixing a straight burley (I like Stokkebye 702 and Peretti BPC) with an aromatic at 3:1 or 3:2 if I want more tobacco backbone. While I may get banned from the forum for admitting this, folding in a sliver of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake with a some HH Burley Flake is also very good.

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
Barbados plantation by sutliff is good, however it needs to dry out some before you pack a bowl, 1Q by Lane is a good one as well, lately I’ve smoked the Peterson brands.

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Mac Baren Vanilla Flake or Sam Gawith Perfection. The more I thought about that the more I think you should skip Perfection in a crowd. It has Latakia and Orientals in it.

Reactions: dublinpiper90
Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I placed an order for a couple of Mac Baren aro's. I got a tin of Vanilla Roll Cake and an ounce of Mixture Scottish Blend. As I looked at reviews, I kept seeing the words "natural" and "subtle" along with descriptions of toppings enhancing and complementing the tobacco flavors, as well as compliments for room note. These seem like they may fit the bill.

Reactions: dublinpiper90

tmcg81

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2020
NJ
1Q does the trick for me aromatic wise. There's a blend from a local store that I really enjoy as well. I've heard MacBaren Navy Flake referred to as a "light aromatic" and I really love that blend. I also always say that I'm gonna get a couple ounces of some sort of black Cavendish and mix some in with my beloved Pegasus, just to try to sweeten it up a touch. I feel like if Pegasus was slightly sweeter, I'd never stop smoking it.

Reactions: tirefire

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My favorite that fits this description is HU Tillerman. Haven't had a tin since 2019 but I just ordered a few. Looking forward to it.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
Agree with Exotic Passion (if you can find it) but not many of the others.

I just ordered a tin of Stanwell Melange based on numerous recommendations but haven't cracked the tin yet. We shall see...

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I love all of these, but none of them have the room note I'm looking for. I smoke all sorts of blends inside, and never get any complaints, but I'd like to find a blend that my wife would actually compliment the room note.

Feel like Grousemoor might have a nice room note , at least not offensive , but my wife loves the smell of FVF so I dunno what to say.

ParkitoATL

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2023
Atlanta, GA
Take a look at Peter Stokkebye. Luxury Twist Flake (affectionately known as LTF) has a pleasant room note. As does their Optimum.
Optimum is a very nice aromatic, not goopy, with a delicious berry note that you get more in the aroma than the taste. I have been lightly spiking this with some GH Dark Flake for a little extra pop. It's very tasty.

Reactions: RookieGuy80