PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
To blur the lines even more, the thing that separates an aro from a non-aro are toppings, which are added late in the production stages. But, some non-aros have casings, which are added earlier in the production stages, and usually have complimentary flavors to the natural tobacco, but...

Some non-aros like PS LTF has coconut in the casing, which makes it taste a lot like an aromatic to some. And, MacBarens Modern Virginia had such a strong apricot casing that they reclassified it on most websites.

So, even retailer websites don't always give you the best description. I would check Tobaccoreviews.com also if getting an aromatic just ruins your day... like it does me.
To blur the lines even further, you also have tobaccos like Orlik Golden Sliced that actually have toppings but are usually thought of as non aromatics. I taste a heavy top flavor in that one but it serves to accentuate the VA’s not to cover them up (bergamot/citrus). Some people don’t pick up on it, others do. To me, OGS is obviously topped, not a bad thing in my opinion, I love the stuff but there is a fine line as to what is considered an aromatic and what’s not. I would place Reiner’s Long Golden Flake among many others in this category that walk a fine line of being an aromatic or a non aromatic.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
First off I you need to distinguish between casings and toppings. Based on my understanding, casings are usually added to the tobacco (according to C&D) to balance the pH of the tobacco to keep it from being too harsh (usually sugar/honey to raise the pH and molasses to lower the pH - if I remember correctly. Jeremy at C&D has a youtube video on this).

Topping on the other hand is for adding flavors and aromas to the tobacco (aromatics). This is where the vanilla, rum, bourbon, etc. comes in to play.

FWIW - this is what I remember from the video.

Reactions: edger
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
To blur the lines even further, you also have tobaccos like Orlik Golden Sliced that actually have toppings but are usually thought of as non aromatics. I taste a heavy top flavor in that one but it serves to accentuate the VA’s not to cover them up (bergamot/citrus). Some people don’t pick up on it, others do. To me, OGS is obviously topped, not a bad thing in my opinion, I love the stuff but there is a fine line as to what is considered an aromatic and what’s not. I would place Reiner’s Long Golden Flake among many others in this category that walk a fine line of being an aromatic or a non aromatic.
And how about, St Bruno, Condor Long Cut brown,Erinmore Flake and Amphora Red Full ?Many would specify aforementioned blends as aromatics, but I however may choose to refrain from using the aromatic definition in regards to those blends simply because the tobacco taste is in forefront with these, same way as with many G&H offerings which do have more or less distinctive lakeland toppings but again tobacco taste is there in forefront, the same applies to many standard Mc Baren classic blends, semi-aromatic might be better definition if there is a such