PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SDJ1967

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Central Florida, USA
Here's a completely noob question. When tobacco shopping online, how can you tell when a tobacco is aromatic and when it isn't? The tins or the website don't always tell you this.

Usually if I see the word "Cherry Flavored" or the like, I figure it's aromatic, but is there another way to tell?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Usually the online listing, or the packaging itself, will state it is aromatic and/or suggest specifically or generally that it has non-tobacco flavoring. There are many blends that sit on the edge, either with mostly tobacco but a remote flavoring, or others that are so tobacco forward as to be described both ways. The classic case is Granger, which is rough cut Kentucky burley flavored with molasses, but is often listed as non-aromatic, though technically aromatic. Other blends without flavoring have a flavor profile so unique or spicy they taste aromatic to many. Even setting that distinction aside, it is useful to notice what the constituent tobaccos are in a blend, to better understand which tobaccos appeal to you.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Usually the online listing, or the packaging itself, will state it is aromatic and/or suggest specifically or generally that it has non-tobacco flavoring. There are many blends that sit on the edge, either with mostly tobacco but a remote flavoring, or others that are so tobacco forward as to be described both ways. The classic case is Granger, which is rough cut Kentucky burley flavored with molasses, but is often listed as non-aromatic, though technically aromatic. Other blends without flavoring have a flavor profile so unique or spicy they taste aromatic to many. Even setting that distinction aside, it is useful to notice what the constituent tobaccos are in a blend, to better understand which tobaccos appeal to you.
Good description...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Over the years, some have talked about aromatics as if they are beginner tobaccos, whereas lately on Forums, some members have expressed the idea that aromatics are best left to the more experienced smoker. There are narratives that go with each view, but I think it is true that cultivating a knowledge of non-aromatic, that is totally tobacco, blends is a good idea sooner or later. I enjoy both, but tend more toward non-aromatic so far.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
For online shopping tobaccoreviews works perfectly, I also quickly check reviews to be sure what I can expect from a tobacco. More challenging is buying in a tobacco shop or similar. Many sellers have no idea about tobaccos so I usually plan each visit and if they don't have exactly what I want I don't buy anything. Usually they try to get rid of some old Borkum Riff or Clan. They got me a few times. Nothing is more disappointing than coming home all happy with a mysterious blend and then realizing you actually bought garbage.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
As has been said, TobaccoReviews.com is an awesome source. But then again, I'm not aware of any sites that don't. I mean, I'm sure they're out there. But I mostly use SmokingPipes.com and PipesandCigars.com.

Reactions: HitchensDog

HitchensDog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2020
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
Sometimes I shop using tobaccoreviews.com . I'll read through reviews and descriptions, see something I've never tried before, then go to the online stores to see if anyone carries it. The point being, you might see something, aromatic, non aromatic, sort of an aromatic (some do fall into this category), something that just seems appealing to you by the description and reviews. Maybe I'm a little off topic, but it might give you a better idea what people view as aromatic and non aromatic just by the reviews alone.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Here's a completely noob question. When tobacco shopping online, how can you tell when a tobacco is aromatic and when it isn't? The tins or the website don't always tell you this.

Usually if I see the word "Cherry Flavored" or the like, I figure it's aromatic, but is there another way to tell?
Good luck... Tobacco genres definitions are practically useless since they aren't really well defined to start and even if there were, most tobaccos wouldn't really fit into them nicely due to all of the exceptions, variations, etc. It's just a crazy as beer styles. A lot of it is just words on the tin for marketing purposes. The only real "rule" is that pretty much all "aromatic" tobacco has added flavor(s) added that are typically obvious in the aroma and flavor, and may or may not dominate the tobacco flavor. However, "non-aromatic" tobacco may or may not have flavorings added that may or may not be detectable.

You best options for making the determination for non-obvious blends is to consult the categorizations and descriptions for it on various reseller sites, read reviews on sites like TobaccoReviews.com, consult lists of types on sites like the Smokingpipes.com and Pipes & Cigars, search for articles on sites like Smokingpipes.com blog and here, and of course search on this site for past threads or just start a thread to ask. I know this sounds like a lot of effort, but that may be necessary if it really makes a difference in your purchase decision.

Dimitri

Lurker
Jul 2, 2020
St. Helens, England
As you say, if the packet or tin features the words "cherry" or "vanilla" its an aromatic for sure.
Otherwise as others have said its open to interpretation

Lines can be blurry, like Smuel Gawiths Chocolate flake, it has latakia but also flavourings which is unusual

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
To blur the lines even more, the thing that separates an aro from a non-aro are toppings, which are added late in the production stages. But, some non-aros have casings, which are added earlier in the production stages, and usually have complimentary flavors to the natural tobacco, but...

Some non-aros like PS LTF has coconut in the casing, which makes it taste a lot like an aromatic to some. And, MacBarens Modern Virginia had such a strong apricot casing that they reclassified it on most websites.

So, even retailer websites don't always give you the best description. I would check Tobaccoreviews.com also if getting an aromatic just ruins your day... like it does me.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Besides reviews it's mostly just a matter of experience. After a while you start learning the earmarks of what's likely to be an aro based on the brand name, the company style, and the listed ingredients. True aros usually trumpet the fact pretty openly since that's there selling feature. Where it gets hard are the semi-aros where the topping isn't the main feature but is still present enough to be noticeable and perhaps ruin an otherwise straight forward blend.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
I'm struggling to find purely non-aros as I try to understand the tobacco types better. If you click on English on P&C, Stanwell Vanilla is on the top row. That's a pungent Vanilla, not an English blend (as I understand it). Lot's of tobaccos are listed as non-aromatic that do have flavorings. I have one pipe I am trying to keep free of flavorings. All I've smoked in it is Carter Hall and PS LTF, which is borderline.

The challenge with reviews is their analysis of casings can be subjective. Does it have just rum or something else? This guy says vanilla. This one says honey and citrus. Puff, puff, ponder.... puffy

• Wow
Reactions: JOHN72

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I would recommend trying something from GL Pease. He's very transparent on his use of toppings and casings--very minimal if at all with regard to toppings I think. For an English, I would suggest his Westminster or for something lighter, Chelsea Morning. To me, the question is--does the flavoring sublimate (@jiminks term I believe) the tobacco so that most of what you might taste in the flavoring (it's an aromatic)? Or might some light flavoring bring out the flavors in the tobacco?
I would suggest for a new smoker (I'm fairly new myself) that they start with mild/medium English blends--you will have no problem tasting the tobacco, they burn easily, rarely give you tongue bite, and provide plenty of feedback with the amount of smoke you produce. They will "ghost" a pipe eventually, so if you are thinking of other types of tobacco, save that pipe for English.
I'm sure folks can recommend some good bulk English if you'd rather order smaller sample sizes--that's a good way to go, as well.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I have one pipe I am trying to keep free of flavorings. All I've smoked in it is Carter Hall and PS LTF, which is borderline.

Both of those absolutely have toppings added. LNF has a very light rum topping, but it’s very light and significantly less than the coconut/caramel/vanilla/???? topping on the LTF. GLP Union Square also has no topping. The Mac Baren HH line are also good bets. However, there are plenty of English blends and blends with dark fried Kentucky (some HH blends among them) have no food flavorings, but they certainly will have the smoky flavors from being smoked cured.

Recon Paul

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2020
New Jersey, US
Both of those absolutely have toppings added. LNF has a very light rum topping, but it’s very light and significantly less than the coconut/caramel/vanilla/???? topping on the LTF. GLP Union Square also has no topping. The Mac Baren HH line are also good bets. However, there are plenty of English blends and blends with dark fried Kentucky (some HH blends among them) have no food flavorings, but they certainly will have the smoky flavors from being smoked cured.
Well there goes that theory!

I have some Sutliff Emerald Isle which is a pretty heavy (by my limited experience) latakia blend.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've always looked at the flavors that aren't considered aromatics to be thee rough equivalent of a cocktail like a Manhattan or Martini where the flavors is still primarily the liquor used it's just altered a little bit maybe certain aspects are smoothed over but you can still taste the whiskey or the gin pretty much as what it is. Where as aromatics are more like a Rum and Coke or something like that where even if you taste the liquor it's in competition with whatever chasers (whatever you want to call it), but might also be completely covered up. Switch liquor with tobacco and you get a good idea. Some aromatics I can taste the tobacco and id what leaf others just that it's tobacco and some could be cardboard with nicotine for all I can taste besides the aromatic flavor.