PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 17, 2020
West Michigan
Lane BCA and VBC.
While they are both great on their own, they can blend into existing blends quite well. Ads an aro feel to the blend.
Without knowing availability, I don't know who to recommend.
C&D Espresso is nice, as is the Berries and Cream.
Dan Tobaccos Blue Note is a nice vanilla blend.

Boyce999UK

Lurker
May 17, 2020
I will have to check them out. May be a little difficult getting the C&D stuff as I don’t see many retailers in the UK holding their brand. Was looking at trying Century Black Kathy as I’ve heard that has a good vanilla flavour and room note. Have tried Gawith &Hoggarths C&V and it’s ok. I may just try and get some of the C&D stuff imported

Reactions: bnichols23

Boyce999UK

Lurker
May 17, 2020
I will have to check them out. May be a little difficult getting the C&D stuff as I don’t see many retailers in the UK holding their brand. Was looking at trying Century Black Kathy as I’ve heard that has a good vanilla flavour and room note. Have tried Gawith &Hoggarths C&V and it’s ok. I may just try and get some of the C&D stuff imported
Scratch that! Found a UK seller of C&D stuff. Will be a pricey order as they sell it as loose tobacco and they only ship loose pipe tobacco provided you meet a minimum weight of 1.1kg. So I may get to try a few flavours that way

Jun 9, 2018
England
Scratch that! Found a UK seller of C&D stuff. Will be a pricey order as they sell it as loose tobacco and they only ship loose pipe tobacco provided you meet a minimum weight of 1.1kg. So I may get to try a few flavours that way

I'd urge caution if it's the seller I'm thinking of! There's a company called tobaccoonline.co.uk who I looked at ordering from a few years back, they also sell American and French cigarettes. There was a thread on here about them and the person said they had seen reports that they were dodgy. I also did a bit of Googling and came to the same conclusion.
I remember they had a stipulation that you had to make a big order, ie 800 cigarettes or a kilo of pipe tobacco.

If you are looking for aromatics here in the UK there's plenty of options, you really are spoilt for choice. Here's just a few off the top of my head:

Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake
Gawith Hoggarth Bourbon Flake
Erinmore Flake
Rattray's have a few aromatics in their range
Gawith Hoggarth's American & Exclusiv line of tobaccos have lots of flavours as well

A good thing with the Gawith blends is you can buy small 10-15g samples, so you don't waste a lot of money on a tobacco you might not care for.

Before buying anything your best bet is to check out tobaccoreviews.com, it's a great resource for novice & experienced pipe smokers alike.

Boyce999UK

Lurker
May 17, 2020
I'd urge caution if it's the seller I'm thinking of! There's a company called tobaccoonline.co.uk who I looked at ordering from a few years back, they also sell American and French cigarettes. There was a thread on here about them and the person said they had seen reports that they were dodgy. I also did a bit of Googling and came to the same conclusion.
I remember they had a stipulation that you had to make a big order, ie 800 cigarettes or a kilo of pipe tobacco.

If you are looking for aromatics here in the UK there's plenty of options, you really are spoilt for choice. Here's just a few off the top of my head:

Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake
Gawith Hoggarth Bourbon Flake
Erinmore Flake
Rattray's have a few aromatics in their range
Gawith Hoggarth's American & Exclusiv line of tobaccos have lots of flavours as well

A good thing with the Gawith blends is you can buy small 10-15g samples, so you don't waste a lot of money on a tobacco you might not care for.

Before buying anything your best bet is to check out tobaccoreviews.com, it's a great resource for novice & experienced pipe smokers alike.
Yeah that was the website I found. Not to worry I haven’t placed an order with them so I’ll steer clear of them. Don’t want to get mugged. May just have to make a trip over to the States and buy some of their stuff over there and bring it back. I’ve tried GH American CV which is ok. Will look into the others you mentioned

Jun 9, 2018
England
Yeah that was the website I found. Not to worry I haven’t placed an order with them so I’ll steer clear of them. Don’t want to get mugged. May just have to make a trip over to the States and buy some of their stuff over there and bring it back. I’ve tried GH American CV which is ok. Will look into the others you mentioned

No problem mate?.
Like I said you definitely wanna give tobaccoreviews.com a look. There's thousands & thousands of reviews on there and you can search for specific brands, component tobaccos, flavours etc etc.
I use it all the time and it was invaluable to me when I first picked up the pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Lakeland aromatics are famously admired, but they also tend to impart their flavors on pipes, so you might want to designate specific pipes to Lakeland aromatics in general, at least at the start. If you get to like that rose-geranium scented flavoring, that may be your go-to tobacco, but you need to know about its "ghosting" from the start. Nothing terrible, it just tends to stay in a pipe once it's been smoked.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
I’m not big on most full-blown aromatics, but I do like plenty of topped tobaccos. Erinmore Flake, topped with a fruit topping, is a favorite of mine. So is Gentleman Caller, which has deer tongue and a booze topping. Chatham Manor is another one that has a topping that is pretty good. None of the above are goopy, either.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Hi all!

new pipe smoker here. What would you recommend as good aromatic pipe tobaccos for me to try? I am based in the UK.

thanks in advance!
G'day Boyce.

My favourite aro is Scottys Butternut Burley.
Scottys Trout Stream is also very good.
For something a little different you might want to try MacBarens Plumcake.

I'm not sure of the rules re; ordering tobacco in the UK from overseas.
Before it became illegal to do so in Australia [grrr] when Customs found an order of tobacco they'd send an invoice for duty. When ignored they would destroy the order. End of story.
During the year 1 out of 4 orders were intercepted. During the Christmas mail rush it was 1 in 6 or better.

It's certainly worth finding out because tobacco is incredibly cheap in the U.S. especially when ordered by the pound.
www.4noggins.com does a great job looking after overseas customers [and their Butternut Burley and Trout Stream are much cheaper than that sold with the Scotty's label]

www.tobaccopipes.com have a much broader range and sales service is 2nd to none.

A word of warning on Lakeland aro's; you'll either love the perfume/soapy taste or you'll hate it. So as already advised, order a 15g sample before committing to a larger amount.

Boyce999UK

Lurker
May 17, 2020
G'day Boyce.

My favourite aro is Scottys Butternut Burley.
Scottys Trout Stream is also very good.
For something a little different you might want to try MacBarens Plumcake.

I'm not sure of the rules re; ordering tobacco in the UK from overseas.
Before it became illegal to do so in Australia [grrr] when Customs found an order of tobacco they'd send an invoice for duty. When ignored they would destroy the order. End of story.
During the year 1 out of 4 orders were intercepted. During the Christmas mail rush it was 1 in 6 or better.

It's certainly worth finding out because tobacco is incredibly cheap in the U.S. especially when ordered by the pound.
www.4noggins.com does a great job looking after overseas customers [and their Butternut Burley and Trout Stream are much cheaper than that sold with the Scotty's label]

www.tobaccopipes.com have a much broader range and sales service is 2nd to none.

A word of warning on Lakeland aro's; you'll either love the perfume/soapy taste or you'll hate it. So as already advised, order a 15g sample before committing to a larger amount.
Hi Chopper,

yeah with importing tobaccos from overseas, depending on how the retailer has labelled the package it can either slip by customs or like you have encountered, you get a tax invoice that needs to be paid.
I have heard of 4noggins before and will check them out along with tobaccopipes.

I am wanting to enjoy what is out there and considered great stuff as I wouldn’t mind having a go at blending aromatics at home. Had a few ideas of flavours I’d like to try and achieve. So I’m wanting to put the groundwork in before I take the plunge.

Boyce999UK

Lurker
May 17, 2020
Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. Bulk Pipe Tobaccos and
Samuel Gawith Tinned Pipe Tobaccos are Glorious!!!! Look no further as they are in your back yard... ?
Will do! I’ve tried GH American Cherry and Vanilla, and thought it was ok, got some of the flavour through but that was on odd sips of my pipe. But that was an easy tobacco to smoke. Which of those brands would you recommend for me to try? What’s your favourite of their offerings?

Reactions: BROBS

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hi Chopper,

yeah with importing tobaccos from overseas, depending on how the retailer has labelled the package it can either slip by customs or like you have encountered, you get a tax invoice that needs to be paid.
I have heard of 4noggins before and will check them out along with tobaccopipes.

I am wanting to enjoy what is out there and considered great stuff as I wouldn’t mind having a go at blending aromatics at home. Had a few ideas of flavours I’d like to try and achieve. So I’m wanting to put the groundwork in before I take the plunge.
Again, I'm not sure how UK Customs works but I had a couple of orders over the 18 months when I was ordering from the U.S. where the item description was the name of the blend that included the word tobacco and they still made it to my door.

It would seem that Customs is unable to check every parcel through the mail system.

4Noggins will not put the word tobacco in the item description so that's your safest bet if you're in doubt.

For whatever reason, parcels sent through private firms like DHL or Fed-Ex for example and priority mail get the highest scrutiny. Use the cheapest postal option [USPS with tracking]

Status
Not open for further replies.