PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I tried Sutliff's Top Shelf and Barbados Plantation, liked them for a few bowls and then quickly lost interest. My go-to aro for a long time has been Bennington's #40, a rough-cut black cavendish. But I'm finding these days that I'm only using is as a condiment to mix with Royal Yacht (1 rounded tablespoon to a 50g tin). The trouble with all these aros is that they have practically no nicotine, and they smell much better than they taste.
The exception, and the one I encourage you to try, is Erik Stokkebye 1931. It's a VA-Bur-Cav flake. Aromatic in the sense of having a pleasant room note, not in the sense of tasting cased. I haven't tried 1957 (not a flake) but it sounds good too.

I will throw my +1 on Molto Dolce,

but for cherry flavor, I still keep an oz of Hobbit Weed in the cellar. Yeh, I know. I fell for the kitschy name. Hobbits didn't have cherries in the shire, lol. But anyways, It's a light cherry with a hint of licorice (anise) that gives it a tart twist with no bite. I'm saving what I have for the summertime. It hits the spot on a +100F afternoon with a RC Cola and moonpie :wink:
Also, I don't mind the ghost from this one. It actually compliments the Virginias that I share the pipe with. It comes from Tewksbury & Co. I like to call in my order. They have a great staff.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Personally I like Grousemoor which isn't completely an aro but still very good. Otherwise I like molto dulce and Mac barens Vanilla Cream.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
For an overall good anytime all day aromatic it's hard to beat 1Q by Lane Limited.
As for cherry aromatics, my favorites are Lane Limited's Very Cherry (CupOJoes has it), and Mac Baren's 7 Seas Red. Very Cherry is your typical sweet candy cherry flavor. 7 Seas Red is a bit different and more of a tart wild cherry flavor.
For other good vanilla aromatics I'd definitely second Mac Baren's Vanilla Creame and add to it Lane Limited's BCA.
The 7 Seas Blends from Mac Baren are all good. If you're looking for quality aromatics order yourself up an ounce of each is a good idea.
McClelland's Premium Aromatic line is also very good. I've sampled just about all of them and have enjoyed them all a lot.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I smoke nothing but aros and I've tried a lot, my tastes may or may not be up your alley. Buy bulk so that you can buy small amounts while you're trying different blends.
The old standard is Lane 1Q, but . . . these are right up there for me.

Hobbits Weed (thanks, Zonomo)

Altis Carribean Nights

4noggins Trout Stream

Sutliff Sunset Rum

McClelland Topper

Lane (I think) Black Raspberry

Captain Black White
Just bought a tin of McCelland Premium Pal O' Mine and Sutliff Molto Dolce. I haven't opened either one, so the jury is still out. Enjoy the journey!

apiperisdown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2014
I first picked up the pipe in November with no previous experience in tobaccos. I jumped in fast and furious looking for aromatics as they were mentioned quite frequently for the new smoker. I tried a dozen or so that had been recommended but either didn't care for or wasn't treated very well by most of them. I know now it was because of my pace and inexperience. I can be a steam engine, especially outside in cold weather. When I tried Dan Tobacco's Blue Note things changed. It was the first taste"s" and cut that made want to slow down and stick around to find out what was going on with aro's. It doesn't appear to be quite so heavily cased and moist either. I've since tried other types of tobacco's and it's a great journey but I'll always keep my Blue Note handy. I especially like having it with some Old No. 7 and cola. There is a Bourbon topping to the tobacco that really matches well with it.
From smokingpipes description:

"Mild, golden Virginias, that have a naturally high sweetness, are mixed with a mild Black Cavendish. A fresh flavor of exotic fruits and a touch of Bourbon Vanilla is added to make this an extraordinarily mild blend"

leacha

Jun 19, 2013
Colorado
johnnyz
Heres a cherry blend to add to your list. 4noggins' Catmount. I just smoked a bowl of a sample Rich sent me last month. Light in the Cherry & Vanilla department but definitely there. Burned cool even though I puffed a little hard to see what it would do. The room note was nice.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A couple good ones that didn't get mentioned: I enjoy Altadis Queen Anne's Revenge, Va/bur/Cav/rum; Brebbia Calvados, Va/bur/French apple brandy;

and some of the Sutliff aros like The Great Outdoors, as well as Lane's LL-7, which is along the lines of Q1 but has a little more flavor (to me).
Brebbia is available at cupojoes and Queen Anne's Revenge at SP, among other places. All of my picks are aromatics where the flavor supports but

doesn't supplant the tobacco flavor, fairly nuanced.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
A couple that come to mind are offerings from Dan tobacco, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew for a vanilla blend, and Devil's Holiday for a berry blend.
Tom

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
My daily is 4th Generation 1957 for the smoooooth vanilla w/no goo or bite. Lane 1Q is a nice all-rounder. Happy puffin', :puffy:
Dave

redheadedsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
Iowa
+1 for the Boswell blends. I've only smoked their Christmas Cookie and Cherry Smash, but I recommend them as they both smell great and the taste is delightful as well. I keep some of CAO's Eileen's Dream around as well for the occasional smoke, it's very smooth and kind of 'silky' or creamy in taste. If you want to go to the extreme, Dan Tobacco's Devil's Holiday is also worth a go if you can find it. It's advertised as drizzled in wild forest berries...but...I find it smells and tastes more like Tropical Punch Kool-Aid. I don't mind it, but it's one of those people either love it or hate it...either way, it's full-on sugar and flavoring.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
I don't often smoke aro's but when I do...
Trout Stream is really good.

Lane 1Q is very good

Lane RLP-6 is good and close to Captain Black White

Mac Baren 7 Seas's Royal Blend is good
Just tried Molte Dolce today. Was disappointed. To me it did not have much flavor.
I have a package of Lane HGL ready for pickup Monday.

Plumcake too.

Status
Not open for further replies.