Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
The biggest issue in my mind is how the descriptors have come to be used. We have seen through many of the posts here that what some might consider an aromatic, many would never have labeled that way.
It would be nice to have some authority in the industry actually make a classification system that makes sense. I never thought of Royal Yacht, University Flake, Warrior Plug, etc. as aromatics. Many did without hesitation, and after some thought, I guess it makes sense. But, we all know they do not fall in the same category as 1Q or Captain Black. I think if the question was posed to many "Which of the two tobaccos is aromatic, Captain Black or Royal Yacht", most people would pick CB right off the bat.
It would be nice though, to have better categories that are more descriptive of what the tobacco really is. It's not going to happen, not that I can see.

There are different levels within each category, even in Virginias and VaPers. Some straight up Virginia flakes taste more like the casings than the tobacco. If you need more clarification, you might check out the reviews. Because of different tastes in different countries and a worldwide market, not everyone is going to agree. And, to me, the current system works and makes the most sense, because even in straight up aromatics, Captain Black and 1Q are very different from a really good soda pop aromatic. So, maybe if Captain Black is your norm, there may be a lot that you are missing. Although I am not going to stock up on them, there are some really tasty Virginia based aros that are not goopy or tasteless. It's just that if we are going to let the goopy making companies get away with calling their swill tobaccos laden with flavors to cover up the sub-par burleys, call them "quality" then we are stuck with this notion.

But, not all aromatics are made the same.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It's just that if we are going to let the goopy making companies get away with calling their swill tobaccos laden with flavors to cover up the sub-par burleys, call them "quality" then we are stuck with this notion.
I think we're stuck with that anyway. Sodapop aros are no different than Budweiser, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc: a simplified, pre-chewed, sugared/salted/fatted version of a familiar commodity.
Aros are the lite cigarettes or beer of the pipe smoking world. On the beer aisle, D&R is Firestone Walker, Dunhill is Stella Artois, MacBaren is Heineken, and the goop aros are Budweiser, Coors, Miller, etc.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Deathmetal the beer/tobacco comparison is as good as any, I totally agree. Sub-Par burley and the lacing of designer flavors seems to be the real issue. Something like Autumn Evening, where the red Virginias are top quality and the casing is done right, finds its way into my pipe. Drenched wet crummy burley with designer vanilla, which you find in tobacco shops with unique names, have no place in my pipe.

Except for nicotine, there are a few companies that makes very good aromatics, Dan's Tobaccos, McClelland, and Larson makes some quality aromatics in the tins. I just find that if you want cheap, bulk or paper tinned aromatics, you get what you pay for. If you want a quality aromatic that you can taste and enjoy, then it is just tad bit more expensive. So it goes.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Something like Autumn Evening, where the red Virginias are top quality and the casing is done right, finds its way into my pipe.
I agree. That's a far above average aro; the topping is just too intense for me.
If you want a quality aromatic that you can taste and enjoy, then it is just tad bit more expensive.
Good point. Same is true of beer, which is why there are some high-end sweet beers.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I like this thread, very interesting!

For me I always have 1Q on hand, but mostly for mixing with non-aros.

I also like Shortcut to Mushrooms, but one of their similar blends, Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, I like even better.

I used to like Autumn Evening, but now not so much for some reason. And also for some reason, I like all the Lakeland style tobaccos I've tried.
perdurabo: you mentioned Waffle House, well a member here sent me a sample of a blend I believe he got at a Tinderbox, called "Waffle House". Yup, tastes just like waffles and maple syrup! Not bad for breakfast.

beastinview

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2016
Where are the high-nicotine aromatics?

Isn't Royal Yacht an aromatic and said to be high in nicotine? I haven't tried it yet, but it's next on my list because blends that inspire wildly polarized views interest me.
My earlier comments may have been off, since I tried to research very carefully when buying aromatics and not purchase anything that had bad reviews. Most of what I've smoked has been blends like 1Q, McClelland's Holiday Spirit, Frog Morton's Cellar (some call it an aro), C&D Autumn Evening, MB Mixture Scottish, etc. I can imagine that there might be quite overdone aros on the market that I haven't smoked, given my limited experience...

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Isn't Royal Yacht an aromatic and said to be high in nicotine?
It's a nic bomb to be sure. Even if you're a former cig smoker used to unfiltered Luckys you'll want to sit down before inhaling a deep drag of RY. But I wouldn't call it an aromatic. It's cased with something cryptic, but not heavily. It's pretty much a straight Va in most respects.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Mostly tasted like a light plum topping to me but really dissipated over the course of the tin.
When dried out, however, it was a pure Virginia flavor.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Royal Yacht does ghost a pipe for a brief period, Call me crazy,
So does Elizabethan mixture.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Mostly tasted like a light plum topping to me but really dissipated over the course of the tin.
When dried out, however, it was a pure Virginia flavor.
I agree. Reminded me of plum wine.
I've smoked it both partially dried (opening the tin, leaving the lid lightly screwed for a week) and using "the Cosmic method" of smoking it fresh, and it works both ways. The plum flavor takes a hike after the first few hits of the flame anyway for the most part.
Great stuff. I recommend it to all new pipe smokers as both a Nicotine benchmark and an experience with the beauty of dark Virginias as opposed to the happy hay-and-honey kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.