PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Autumn Evening is great, if you like maple. It has that nicotine hit that puts it in that Lakeland realm. It took about 4 bowls to figure it out, not what I expected.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Rattray Bagpiper's

Gawith Grousemore

Dunhill Royal Yacht

Peterson University Flake
I don't consider certain spirit topped tobaccos aromatics, but if you do add Smoker's Haven Cognac and any good, rummy Navy Flake you can think of.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Or Royal Yacht
I need to add that to my list. After seeing Cosmic's list, I guess there are a couple that fall into the aro category in my favorites list. Oh well, I guess I'm a frooty tooty aro guy.
1. Shortcut to Mushrooms

2. Royal Yacht

3. Warrior Plug

4. McQuaid

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I don't smoke a lot of aros but I've been having an affair with Peter Stokkebyes's Sambuka this past week. Love that black licorice flavor.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
Like Pitchfork and Stanlaurel, I exclude Lakelands from the aromatic category. I also exclude blends like Royal Yacht. Consequently, my list of aromatics has only three residents:
McClelland Walnut Liqueur

Rattray's Bagpiper's Dream

MacBaren Plumcake

Ha ha, thanks for tolerating my tootie fruity comment. I guess if the list had to be longer, I would have added a few of my ice cream favorites, like Firedance, Erinmore, and even Solanis Mango Flakes. These are three fruity flakes that I keep on hand. Firedance and Erinmore have a substantial nicotine kick. Mangos... Well, I like mangos, ha ha. MacBarons Vanilla Flake is another one, but since the list was for five, I'll keep mum on that one. :puffy:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cosmic It could be 30, I was targeting the thread towards those that really prefer non aromatics. Thinking no one would name five. I included five that really satisfied, then began to see responses, thinking damn there are more than these 5 that I enjoy. Royal Yacht being one, but I don't classify that one as an aro. I guess it is though.
I've been dating Godlen Days for the past week, then began having an affair with Autumn Evening. To day will have to be a Buffalo Soldier day. I need a perique fix.

I had a brief fling with Autumn Evening. It is interesting, but not one that held my heart for long. I would gladly try it again sometime, but for now, so much to explore.
Vanilla Cream Flake is interesting. I don't think it has any nicotine at all, barely any tobacco, but the flavor is so strong in taste and smell that it is perfect to smoke on those long trips in the car when the kids get gassy, ha!!

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I had a brief fling with Autumn Evening. It is interesting, but not one that held my heart for long.
I had a similar experience. I found it lacking in the actual tobacco taste department. Improved immensely when I added some rough cut Burley to it. I suppose that defeats the purpose though.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Royal Yacht is not an aromatic. It is cased with something but very little and impossible to identify. Basically it's a strong Va, very close to natural, in fact without a little age on it it reminds of strong cigarette tobacco. Other Dunhill blends such as their ready-rubbed and 3-yr mature have much stronger, obvious casings.

Plum and anise are the casings for RY, and yes it is considered an aromatic in the industry, just look at any review or product listing. Whether we think it is is irrelevant. If you smoke is very slow, you get the fruity deep anise along with the tobacco.

Just because there are some crap goopy tobaccos out there that seem to be designed for children, doesn't take away from the legit tobaccos that are aromatics as well. In other words, because some aromatics are an embarrassing insult to the whole hobby, that shouldn't put us down on the whole genre.

Some Muslims are terrorists, but the whole religion isn't.
Ha ha ha, yes yes, see what I just did? I just compared goopy aromatics to terrorists. Ha ha. :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Hate is a strong word... :D
My five aros.
Peter Stokkebye - Black Danske

Just for Men - Shortcut to Mushrooms

EG Robinson's Blend

Scotty's Butternut Burley

Frog Morton's?

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
Pete's Uni FLake

Dan's Devils Holiday

FM Cellar (why some don't consider this an aro is beyond me)

Blackpool

Having a tough time thinking of a 5th. I'll revisit this.

Yes, FM is an aromatic, as much as it's fans do not want to admit it. It is a good one though, but you can especially tell when you aren't the one smoking it. The room note with a few guys smoking a Froggie blend is indistinguishable from a room full of guys smoking Captain Black, IMO. But, the taste is quite different.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Royal Yacht has anise? I could've bet a million that it had a splash of that Tonkin truck stuff on it. No wonder I liked Royal Yacht so much. It's kind of like PS Lux. Twist Flake, supposedly its coconut but I swear it's butterscotch.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Dunhill has never stated what RY is cased with. Just because someone's olfactory and/or gustatory makeup causes them to think they smell or taste anise doesn't mean it's really in there. If it actually was cased with anise it would have the same reaction on me as if it were cased with anus. Think Linda Blair projectile vomiting in The Exorcist.

cynicismandsugar

Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
The only two aros I consistently enjoy is Shortcut to Mushrooms and Black Magic Woman. I'll try aromatics from time to time, but they're just not my cup of tea. However, Shortcut and BMW are two blends that retain most of their tobacco flavor -- so I usually keep some laying around.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I can only list three:

C&D Berry Good!

SG 1792 Flake

Lane Hazelnut
As to Royal Yacht, I recall reading (I think on wiki)under tonquin (tonka) bean that Royal Yacht is lightly flavored with the stuff. I did buy a fresh tin and tried to taste it but could not place it; at least not to the extent that 1792 displays).

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The lakeland tobacco's trace their origins back to Thomas Harrison, who in 1792 returned from Scotland with materials and technique to establish a company for the production of Nasal Snuff. Recipes for nasal snuff are very similar to those of perfume at the time. I'm not sure one can reduce the linkage between aroma and tobacco any finer than this.
The american and danish schools seem to highlight food flavorings rather than perfume aromas but all are meant to be experienced by the tongue and nose. In that respect, making distinctions between one variety of stinky tobacco and the next seems pointless and perhaps even cynical if meant to divide one group of smokers that smoke the right variety from the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.