PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Definitely a yes! Latakia and flavour is one of the most under-estimated tobacco type imho.

My favourite all-day, the HU Daddy Gefftl, contains a very unique flavour and a hint of Latakia. Also the DTM Independence is a good blend with some Latakia and a decent casing on top.
Daddy Gefftl is the shite! I love that stuff, it’s a very odd blend however, an acquired taste for sure.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I

wouldn’t consider Northwoods to be an English/aro. It’s a pretty full bodied Latakia smoke in my opinion.
I haven’t had the newer version of it but back when they were sourcing their tobaccos from McClelland I noticed a very strong vanilla black cavendish component to it, which in my opinion made it a crossover. I loved it when I first started smoking a pipe... could be very different now though.

Reactions: sandollars

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love the "crossover English" blends. My love started with Iwan Ries Gourmet English (which was blended by McClelland, so it's now gone like the rest of the McC's), and then Frog Morton Cellar. I've enjoyed most of the others that I've tried as well, including the old Walnut blend and its current match blends. A sweet aromatic or cavendish component goes great with the smokiness of latakia, IMO. However, I don't smoke much latakia in the summer, so I'll be waiting for fall to get back into these.

Reactions: Bowie

Spavilla

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 6, 2020
Gulf Coast of Florida
This category is casting an ever increasing net. Under this big tent I tend to appreciate the more lat forward blends, so another vote for Sillems Black. Love Black Frigate too but I don't consider it an aro at all. That Whiskey Biscuit Gravy by Just for Him is a sleeper, definitely worth checking out. Boswells Northwoods en route...

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
Esoterica's ASTB, StIves, and Pembroke are my favs, but I also really enjoy E. Hoffman's Distinguished Gentleman, Sutliff Count Pulaski, Revelation match, and Wellauer's English(if there really is a wine topping, may just be the syrian effect).
But the very best English/Aro crossover I've smoked is a simple 2:1 combination of Balkan Supreme & Firedance Flake.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Esoterica's ASTB, StIves, and Pembroke are my favs, but I also really enjoy E. Hoffman's Distinguished Gentleman, Sutliff Count Pulaski, Revelation match, and Wellauer's English(if there really is a wine topping, may just be the syrian effect).
But the very best English/Aro crossover I've smoked is a simple 2:1 combination of Balkan Supreme & Firedance Flake.
See, I have a hard time with the labels, I guess. For example, I’ve never even considered ASTB or Pembroke to be aromatic Englishes. I would‘ve called them “topped Englishes,” and call the blends with the sweet Cavendish and Burley in them “aromatic Englishes.” Not arguing with your assessment, though. I like Pembroke and ASTB a lot. I don’t usually care for “Englishes” that contain traditional American style aromatic leaf (Burley and sweetened Cavendish), though. Although I do like the new Wilke’s Lizzie Blood Red English, which tastes like it falls into that category.

Reactions: rushx9
Status
Not open for further replies.