PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Intriguing, Cos', tnx! [Carson voice] "I did not know that."
Personally, even as much as I like aros, goopy crap just DOES not work for me. I just don't like [blech] sludge in my blends. I knew Sutliff married PS, but I still just can't hack monikers that connote candy or milkshakes. (Nougat, P&C, etc.) They just sound, I dunno, like I'm stuffing my bowl with 1/3 of a Milky Way or something. Now MB Vanilla Flake, yeah, but that's different; its a flake.
Bill

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
Aromatic English is pretty good, latakia with alcohol topping always works and this one you can buy in bulk to try

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Digging through the upstairs blends looking for something for HS football i ran across some Boswells Bear Blend a tasty and stout tobacco forward blend.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I just popped my tin of Haddos Delight. Maybe a few weeks in a jar will make a difference, but it's not doing much for me right now. Thankfully there are samples of Molto Doce and also Edward G on the way to try.

Haddos is a blend that ignites my inner pyromaniac, and I can’t control myself. I burn through tins of Haddos like one of the Four Horsemen of the Taboccolypse. I can suck down a tin of it in a single day... but in no way do I rhink of Haddos as being even similar to an aromatic. It kind of smells like one in the tin, and technically it does have some alcahol topping on it, but as for tasting or eminating an aromatic flavor of any sort... it smokes like an excellent VaPer (Virginia Perique). So, it’s likely to dissapoint someone wanting a classic aromatic experience.

And, if it disappoints, then avoid GLPs Virginia Cream, because it smokes like a unique VaPer with some really flavorful condimentals added for zest. YMMV

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Haddos was a bit of a miss for me too. Open a tin of D&R London Dock and it won't last but a couple of days though.

capnomancy

Lurker
Sep 28, 2018
I recall some of Boswells aromatics tasting very close to how they smell, more than other aro's that I have tried.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
OK, here goes. Years ago I smoked BCA, and tried a lot of aros that I disliked. Tried the 50-50 blend of BCA and 1Q, it was ok. For quite a while now I have been smoking mainly flakes, PS LTF is pretty aromatic. But then I got a sample of Lane Dark Red, and loved it. My wife loves it. I buddy who doesn't like aros tried it, and loves it. It is in a class by itself for aros.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Haddos is a blend that ignites my inner pyromaniac, and I can’t control myself. I burn through tins of Haddos like one of the Four Horsemen of the Taboccolypse. I can suck down a tin of it in a single day... but in no way do I rhink of Haddos as being even similar to an aromatic. It kind of smells like one in the tin, and technically it does have some alcahol topping on it, but as for tasting or eminating an aromatic flavor of any sort... it smokes like an excellent VaPer (Virginia Perique). So, it’s likely to dissapoint someone wanting a classic aromatic experience.

And, if it disappoints, then avoid GLPs Virginia Cream, because it smokes like a unique VaPer with some really flavorful condimentals added for zest. YMMV
It didn't really strike me as an aromatic either. But for me the tobaccos were good, but I'm not sure it's something I would stock up on. That said, half of the GLP blends I've tried fresh out of the tin didn't do it for me but after a few weeks in a jar were totally different. So I'm not done with it yet, but I had two bowls today, and I'm not sure about it. I plan on getting the Vanilla Cream next time I order.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
So I recently received a box pass with some samples in it and have had the chance to try Molto Doce, Autumn Evening and also Leavitt & Peirce - Cake Box which apparently is a staple at Harvard.
Molto Doce was kind of bland to me. It seemed a better quality or Aro than many others I have tried, but didn't really strike me as a tasty blend. It smelled wonderful though.
Autumn Evening was interesting. I've only had one bowl so far, and I'm not sure where I am with it, but the maple syrup thing was interesting. I like that it actually tasted like tobacco though. On retrohale, the flavoring kind of reminded me of celery. I'll need to try it some more.
Cake Box was surprising. I really liked the bowl I had of it. It actually tasted like tobacco, which is what I'm going for.

I have always heard rave reviews about Autumn Evening. It's ok, and I keep some set back. But, it really isn't much more than another run of the mill aromatic. It doesn't have nearly the strength, nor flavor that I have always heard it does.
But, my wife likes the pancake smell, so I do smoke it from time to time. But, as with all aromatics, I don't really taste it. You just sort of smell it while smoking, somewhat.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Autumn Evening was interesting. I've only had one bowl so far, and I'm not sure where I am with it, but the maple syrup thing was interesting. I like that it actually tasted like tobacco though. On retrohale, the flavoring kind of reminded me of celery. I'll need to try it some more.
I bought a tin of Autumn Evening last year and didn't care much for it. To me, it was like smoking artificial maple syrup pancakes. I jarred it up and stuck it in the cellar to revisit later.
I tried it again about a month ago and found that I really like it, enough that I will always keep some on hand as a seasonal fall and winter blend. I was previously (last year) not drying it out enough and smoking it too hot. With proper drying, and smoking coolly, I can taste the Virginia tobacco plus a maple / brown sugar flavor that compliments the tobacco. While this is not some goopy aromatic, the casing / topping is a bit on the strong side, and I might prefer it to be a bit more subtle, but Autumn Evening is a good smoke.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
So I did get the vanilla flake - no comment
but I did find an Aro I actually do like a lot finally, HU Hadde’s Best Irish

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But, as with all aromatics, I don't really taste it. You just sort of smell it while smoking, somewhat.
Whereas all aros taste the same as they smell to me.

Duane, I never speak for all of humanity. It is just that as with tasting foods, like discerning lemons from limes, for most of us this is not 100% done on the tongue, but a combination tastebuds and olfactory senses. There may be some of us who are supertasters. But, even steak is not 100% sensed on the tastebuds for us regular folks.
But, note that the genre is called "aromatic" not "flavored".

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I'm gonna have to buy some autumn evening to cellar. It makes sense that it becomes better with time. I'm guessing the virginia Cavendish base makes for an increasingly sweet and tasty treat. I was going to focus on stocking up on GH flakes but with the recent passing of several blends I want to load up on my GL Pease favorites as it seems more likely that one if those blends will disappear first.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
It’s just so subjective. I think if I had no sense of smell I wouldn’t be able to tell much about one tobacco from the other. But yet then I don’t seem to care for aros, where it should seem to make a lot of sense that I would if my sense of smell is integral. Then of course there’s the tobacco reviews equating tobacco tastes to food tastes - of which I get zero sense of any similarity between tobacco and food. I can sense things that remind me of food occasionally - like nuttiness, a sharpness similar to dark chocolate, some element reminding me of sweetness - but not sweetness. Often terms I want to use to describe tobacco flavors are more related to things I smell than things I eat or drink - like earthy, leathery, hickory.
But in the end - I like it - or I don’t. I think some of us are just programmed to sense tobacco differently from others.

Status
Not open for further replies.