PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
Hello all,
I'm wondering if anyone could recommend me an aromatic. NOT LANE TYVM!
I've been smoking pipes for about a year. When I first started I tried 1Q, RLP6, BCA, Captain Black, etc. Then i tried English blends and was off to the races. I haven't smoked aromatic blends since. Over the last year, I've tried probably 20-30 Lat blends, C&D, GLP, SPC, Rattray, SG, etc. I love English/Balkan blends, Some Burley blends, VaPers, all the usual suspects. But here in the past couple of months I've been wondering if there were any great tasting aromatic blends. The ones I've tried all smell good-ish (some smell like chemicals to me) but they all kind of taste the same to me. I lack the descriptive palate others have, but I guess it's the cavendish I'm thinking of. I really try to be open to everything when it comes to pipe tobacco, so I'm willing to give things a try as I have found a few blends that I have ended up loving that way. So I don't want to just close the door on all aros as if to say "they all suck".
Anyways, does anyone here get where I'm coming from? Can anyone recommend an aro blend that actually tastes like something? Maybe even taste like what it smells like? Maybe even be a good tobacco?

The term aromatic refers to smells, aromas, things concerning the nose. I don’t think that as a genre you’re suposed to “taste” the added flavors. But, you sense the aromas with your nose on some better than others. Isn’t it smell that gives some foods their flavor nuances? Like those taste tests where you pinch your nose and find it harder to tell whether you are eating an orange or peach?
Molto Dolce is one famed for being a strong enough aroma to sense as a taste. Smoke it wet for a greater aroma. Rattrays Orange is a good one. What flavors are you looking for? Maybe one that tastes like tobacco but smells like vanilla? MacBarons Vanilla Flake is a great one.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Mac Baren Vanilla Cream

Hearth & Home Butternut Burley

Hearth & Home Trout Stream

Mac Baren Original Choice
I'm not very good at describing the flavours when it comes to tobacco, but I've found that I can discern most of the flavours once I'm "reminded". My go to reminder is virtually any review by JimInks. He seems to have a way of picking out flavours and describing them well.
I'm sure you will get many other suggestions, these are my favorites.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
I'm in the same boat. Turns out my lat-based favorites just aren't as good (to me) in the warm months so I've been looking around for something different...sweeter, but not cloyingly, gloppy, etc. So far I've had a bit of luck with The Virginia Cream from GL Pease.
It's strange that all of my tastes (food, drink, tobacco) seem to change by season, but at least I'm realizing it and can try to get ahead of it.
Need it to get colder so I can get some chili going! :)

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
What flavors are you looking for? Maybe one that tastes like tobacco but smells like vanilla? MacBarons Vanilla Flake is a great one.
I'm not looking for a particular flavor. I'm just wondering if there are any good tasting aromatic blends. So far my experience with them has been "meh" but I don't want to just say I hate aros if there's actually good ones out there. The "top selling" ones: ie Lane, etc. just aren't good to me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My primary virtue in aromatics is that they be tobacco-forward, and that the flavoring bring up and complement the base leaf and condimental leaf. I don't want to smoke Vanilla as the first experienced flavor, for example. No two people will share exactly the same taste, and aromatics will illustrate this principle. But a few I find good to keep on hand are Iwan Ries Three Star Blue; Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, with Virginia and three liqueurs as flavoring; and Edward G. Robinson, one of jiminks' staples. I do like Royal Yacht, but since that is going out of production, supposedly, we'll pass on that. Erin Go Braugh is a well balanced whiskey blend pouch tobacco carried by PC.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I'm in the same boat. Turns out my lat-based favorites just aren't as good (to me) in the warm months so I've been looking around for something different...sweeter, but not cloyingly, gloppy, etc. So far I've had a bit of luck with The Virginia Cream from GL Pease.
It's strange that all of my tastes (food, drink, tobacco) seem to change by season, but at least I'm realizing it and can try to get ahead of it.
Need it to get colder so I can get some chili going! :)
I hear you. I started VaPers this summer for this same reason. Fortunately in the mountains of NC the mornings are pretty nice so I've been able to have some Lat blends in the early hours. I usually have Virginia or Burley blends later in the day.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
What got me started on this whole line of thinking is hearing that Strauss Sleepy Hollow is out right now and everyone going nuts about how much they love it. It got me thinking that I have not really tried to find a good aromatic blend.
@mso - thanks for the suggestions. Question: Does the SWR have that chemical smell common to OTC blends?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
blacka', take note, I'm not suggestion SWR Regular, but their SWR Aromatic. I love burley, but I can't get much flavor from Regular. With the Aromatic blend, I don't experience Propyl Glycol or whatever it is, but I think some are extremely sensitive and taste it in many OTC blends. I'm not tasting it in SWR Aromatic, nor any of my other picks. But you might.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
They all taste exactly how they smell to me. Haven't came across one yet that didn't.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Here's a list of the aros I smoke.
Samuel Gawith Bothy Flake

Cult Blood Red Moon

GLP Haddo's Delight

Kramer's Blend for Carey Grant

Wilke Rumcake

Shortcut To Mushrooms (RIP)

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Slightly aro, I taste the whiskey, especially in the fresh tins. I thought someone would call me on Haddo's before Bothy.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It's the same with Black Frigate, but far from aro. Were that the case most Navy Flakes would be considered aros. Just asked because I get more of the earthy aspect of the Scotch in Bothy.

Status
Not open for further replies.