Are You a Sloppy Pipe Smoker or a Meticulous Pipe Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a fun fact for you guys who keep your pipes in draws. The pipe just gets smellier and smellier without breathing. I have a 36 count Savinelli rack made of Burlwood. It has 3 holes in each side and when I bought it I asked the guy what's with the holes. He explained how pipes that don't breath just nastier and nastier as the years go buy.
Savinelli stopped making these racks years ago as they had too sell them for around 2200-2600.00, I traded a box of Cuban Trinidad Fundadores.
I owned the box for 292.00. That was the price in Spain in 1999. The SPanish Pesetas was 181.00 to a US dollar.

I hope you draw guys give your pipes some air. I did not read this on the internet.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I'm neither one way or the other. I have a few pipe stands and that's where I keep must of them but the ones being used thruought the day end up either in the ashtray outside or in the garage, keeping them in certain spots to know where they would be.

But I'm not anal about cleaning my pipes and sometimes just give them a scrape with pipe tool to clean out any dottle and use a pipe cleaner when it's time to do so.

Tobacco wise i keep jars labeled and well stacked but did accidently knock over a few tins right Before reading this thread so a bit of sloppiness as well. It's a balance:)

While i try to take care of the things I have in life, I'm not as obsessive as others. And as long as your happy that's what counts IMO.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Here is a fun fact for you guys who keep your pipes in draws. The pipe just gets smellier and smellier without breathing. I have a 36 count Savinelli rack made of Burlwood. It has 3 holes in each side and when I bought it I asked the guy what's with the holes. He explained how pipes that don't breath just nastier and nastier as the years go buy.
Savinelli stopped making these racks years ago as they had too sell them for around 2200-2600.00, I traded a box of Cuban Trinidad Fundadores.
I owned the box for 292.00. That was the price in Spain in 1999. The SPanish Pesetas was 181.00 to a US dollar.

I hope you draw guys give your pipes some air. I did not read this on the internet.
I've kept my pipes in drawers for years and have never once experienced what you wrote. The few major collections of rare pipes I've been invited to see have all been kept in drawers. Maybe it's that skunk weed you're smoking, Harris.

Reactions: JOHN72 and edger

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
Is all of your equipment and tools neatly stored and ordered in some fashion, ready for each day's smokes?

Are your pipes categorized and rotated systematically?

Is your tobacco neatly stored in jars, poured so as not to loose a scrap, and neatly capped after each use?

Or are your pipes laying around the house, suffering scratches from being knocked around by the dogs?

Do you leave them on the table outside before you go to bed, lying among an ashtray full of stale ashes and burnt used pipe cleaners?

Is the only polish your pipes get is when you wipe your nose with them?

Just what type of pipe smoker are you?
I enjoyed this post and the following readings and photos! Impressed w/ those organized and neat w/ their pipes and accessories.
Where I was sitting at the time, I looked at the pipes and "stuff' around them.... and thought how many of you might be disappointed with my lack of care.
I do have two pipe stands where the majority of pipes are kept along with tobacco, cleaning items, and lighters; yet I also have a pipe in the Jeep, in coat pockets, at the workbench, etc ....like others do.
So, in the photo you see a few pipes, leather pouch, tamper and an ole VuLighter!

pipes on the desk.jpeg

dturrell

Lurker
Jan 24, 2015
Now that's one I never understood. Why does one need an ashtray with pipes?
I like having and using ashtrays!
Admittedly, I acquired so many from my parents as they were cigarette smokers back when it was "fashionable" and every nightstand, end/coffee table in our home had an ashtray.
Plus, my dad "procured" many while stationed in Germany (US Army) and it seemed the thing to do back then was to collect ashtrays and beer glasses from the German GastHause!
So, yes I have an ashtray, and use it to tap a bit of the ash, dispose a wood match, and enjoy a memory of an item maybe going out of style.
Plus, my son smokes cigars and the ashtrays get filled rather quickly!
I posted a photo of some pipes and there is a rather unusual, natural, ash tray I'm rather proud of!

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I enjoyed this post and the following readings and photos! Impressed w/ those organized and neat w/ their pipes and accessories.
Where I was sitting at the time, I looked at the pipes and "stuff' around them.... and thought how many of you might be disappointed with my lack of care.
I do have two pipe stands where the majority of pipes are kept along with tobacco, cleaning items, and lighters; yet I also have a pipe in the Jeep, in coat pockets, at the workbench, etc ....like others do.
So, in the photo you see a few pipes, leather pouch, tamper and an ole VuLighter!

View attachment 72420
I like the dog biscuit too. Any pipe smoker and dog lover is OK by me!

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Meticulous but not obsessive.
I clean my pipes after every smoke, apply Obsidian oil to the stems, and rotate them.

Reactions: JOHN72

glub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 24, 2021
KC MO
All my pipes are in racks, rests, or boxes. All opened tins go into labeled jars. All unopened tins are dated & banded in tupperware (gotta know how much of my favorites I have at a glance). All the bins are dedicated to a type (VA & Burley flake, English blends, aromatics).

I miiiiiight be a little compulsive. :rolleyes: