Are You a Sloppy Pipe Smoker or a Meticulous Pipe Smoker?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
Eh, probably in the middle. I keep all my pipes in a cardboard shipping box, most of which are kept in soft bags or socks. I keep my ‘baccy jars and tins in the drawers of old high school/college biology/chemistry lab counters with the thick black tops. These counters make up most of my wood shop in the basement. I have no system of storing the jars and tins, just where it’ll fit.
Those desk tops are nearly indestructible and heavy as lead! I wish I had some.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
More meticulous than sloppy... Not regiment about rotation, but clean pipe, ashtray, and area after use.
Me too. My tobacco is all in one area. Most of my pipes in racks in my office. Those that aren't are in my smoking table on the porch. As for cleaning them, it happens in spurts. I generally wait until I need to clean 6 to12 of them and then I clean them all at once, which I like doing. My office at home is a complete mess, but it's an organized mess.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Ha ha, once every other month or so, my wife will make me vacuum the pipe room, when she sees the bottoms of my socks covered in pipe tobacco.
MAN! Vivid picture! Since lockdown I smoke indoors but only in my "office", with the window opened whatever the temp outside (ok I am in Athens, Greece, the only temp extremes are upwards). There are bits of tobacco around my chair, but not ashes, at least once per week my wife will storm in with the hoover and say "I can't let you live in filth" or something along those lines. As for pipe care I am a bit better, I rotate, clean and occasionally deep clean my pipes, but once they've had their day of rest on the windowsill (in an old egg carton...) I put them back together and toss in a drawer. My tobacco is kept more neatly in labelled jars.

J.Henry845

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 22, 2019
Dutchess County, NY
My wife regularly busts my yam bag for leaving pipes & tobacco scattered about. I am constantly losing tampers. I once found a misplaced jar of Jackknife Plug in my food pantry.

I have a few bookshelf units in a spare bedroom that everything "should" be located but I have pipes and jars on my dining room table and side table next to my recliner with what I am currently smoking. It drives her nuts.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I'm more meticulous, I have all my pipes and tobacco stored in a common location. The pipes are all in their sleeves until I wish to use them, and I clean them before I put them back.
I don't leave pipes out, as I only smoke 3 or 4 days a week for a few hours.

NookersTheCat

Lurker
Sep 10, 2020
Yeah they don't make them like they used to. Those are some used too that I have left over from the good ol days. ?
Amen, and nice setup as well. I've got a couple boxes of old Ohio Blue Tips that I keep for display in my pipe nook but now I don't wanna ever actually use the darn things again... had to make sure you weren't holding out on a hookup though ;) lolol

Keweenaw

Lurker
Dec 16, 2020
Michigan
In between here. Most pipes are racked, a few laying about. Tobacco is jarred or in tins waiting to be jarred and kept in a three drawer lamp stand along with cleaners, knife, etc. Cellar is relatively organized with reamer, pouches, and travel leathers.

Reactions: cory84

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
I have certain pipes that get more meticulous attention than others....and a couple real beaters that thrive on abuse, and neglect. I am fully prepared to blame my lack of organization on a lack of space....with more space I would probably just acquire enough pipes, and tobacco to return to the familiar chaos on a larger scale though.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I broke one last week, when I had set it on the inside of my truck's engine compartment, and when I slammed the hood, I immediately knew what the bouncing sound under the truck was. :(
Absolutely brutal. I snapped a ten on on a Mastro de Paja. The stem must have been sticking up to high, and as soon as I closed the center console and put my arm on it to rest, I felt something give way. Next time I went to grab the pipe, I found it in two pieces... I thought, "Hmmm..... I don't remember removing the stem after I last smoked it" ?

• Sad
Reactions: cosmicfolklore