Are You a Pipe Smoker or a Pipe Collector?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since about half my pipes are on the low end of the price scale, I think it might seem vainglorious to talk about my collecting pipes, but I certainly take Gregg's point. To me, my accumulation of pipes is a sort of collection, though I smoke them all, a few just occasionally, but that is the purpose of my having them. They are also a collection in the sense that they are each a considered purchase, and I know something about their national origins, design, and history, plus many of them have stories connected to them, as gifts, or by association with particular events or sourcing. If this makes me a collector, I'm okay with it.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
I am a pipe smoker and have a modest collection of pipes- 35; 8 are Cobs.
There are a couple of styles of pipe that I would like to acquire, but other than that I enjoy smoking the pipes that I have now. I would rather spend my money on buying tobacco.
I’m looking for a few really nice Canadians or a Cutty style. Maybe one more Meerschaum?

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I am a pipe smoker and have a modest collection of pipes- 35; 8 are Cobs.
There are a couple of styles of pipe that I would like to acquire, but other than that I enjoy smoking the pipes that I have now. I would rather spend my money on buying tobacco.
I’m looking for a few really nice Canadians or a Cutty style. Maybe one more Meerschaum?
I am also always looking out for a nice Canadian and/or cutty...I LOVE the cutty shape!

Reactions: dunnyboy

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I am a pipe smoker. I have less than 10 pipes. Most are by known pipe companies or makers. However, over the years I have learned what characteristics make a good pipe for me. So I am in the phase of selling some to make room for some new ones. I have no desire to collect. But I want an excellent performing pipe for my own enjoyment and have enough to allow me a good rotation. So " The hunt is afoot!"

Jef

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the usual "too many" pipes, about ninety in my case. I cull from time to time, usually either donating some pipes to a pipe cause, like for active duty military, or trading them for store credit, several pipes toward one I'd rather smoke.

Sometimes I look around my study and think this is just plain crazy. But I smoke most of them in rotation, and enjoy doing so. I like the variety and various smoking characteristics, the different shapes, finishes, weights and chamber sizes. So to me, the accumulation is enjoyable, not just evidence of a compulsion.

huckleberry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2017
Kentucky
Both. I smoke what I collect.

I don't buy a pipe unless I intend to smoke it. If, at some point, I stop smoking it ~ it gets wrapped up and put in a drawer. So, I suppose I am both ?
I completely understand your way of thinking! I too buy only pipes I plan on smoking. My problem is sometimes I forget where I put my new pipe, and then I find it later, (With maybe a few more pipes I've stashed), so it's like Christmas all year long. For tobacco, I'm always looking for that and have a small amount cellared. As for collecting the pipes, I don't seem to get rid of any....thus my collection

Last edited:

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
It seems that now I am reliant upon my toss about pipes in the shop and rotate through those couple more than enjoying the higher end ones that are being neglected as a backyard relaxing smoker. Probably a good thing cause the pipe won’t leave my mouth when I work but the opposite when I have time to relax. Hmmmm??

Reactions: dunnyboy and JOHN72

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
It's not an either/or proposition. Most of us are both. I enjoyed Greg's article and it reminded me that the journey of collecting pipes is not dissimilar from the journey of collecting tobaccos.
I feel the same way...
The article reminded me of the Lifestyle vs. Hobby discussion which frequently pops up.

I wouldn't consider myself a hobbyist, but I do fit the category. I wouldn't consider myself a collector, but I do fit the category.

As you stated, most of us are both.