PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
I recall an article that stated most pipe racks were made wrong. Pipes should be stored stem down to allow better drying and allow any moisture to drain into stem for easier cleaning. What is your take ?

Reactions: dunnyboy and BROBS

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
my honest take is that what you read is stupid. I mean really stupid. If you need help making pipe cleaning easier you probably should just roll off the top of a huge building. I don't say that in a mean way, but if that's something too difficult that needs help I don't want to how one would struggle to get their pants on or eat food with utensils and not loss an eye or two because it's so hard to get the fork in the right hole.
Now back in the day before the pipe cleaner was invented what you read would certainly apply.

I recall an article that stated most pipe racks were made wrong. Pipes should be stored stem down to allow better drying and allow any moisture to drain into stem for easier cleaning. What is your take ?
What first cones to mind is that if one has so much moisture in the bowl that it needs to drain, something really bad is happening.

I just like the looks of a pipe stored bowl side down. The other way makes all of the luck run out of the pipe. puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
in my experience most racks hold group 5 and smaller pipes without issue . It is the group 6's and ODA's that have most problems. I have 2 6[s that don't fit in either of my racks so I just keep them in basket next to my pipes. If someone were to get a custom rack made taking into account the bigger pipes that would be cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Stem up works for me. I think a very juicy smoker, which I'm not, might want to scoop out and pipe cleaner the pipe before racking it, but I do that anyway. Still, I'd rather have any residual moisture land in the bowl rather than the airway. Comments to the contrary have always sounded overthought and indulgently contrarian to me. Kind of the "wear your underwear on your head" dogma. Notwithstanding, I'd store your pipes in any position that makes you happy. It's none of my damned business.

Apr 2, 2018
Idong,South Korea.
The small racks I make for myself are stem down.The larger ones someone made for me are stem up.Big difference?,in my opinion, no.as long as there is air flow through the pipe.I prefer stem down for aesthetic reasons.I've only made one one stem up rack,and that was in the late 90s.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
in my experience most racks hold group 5 and smaller pipes without issue . It is the group 6's and ODA's that have most problems. I have 2 6[s that don't fit in either of my racks so I just keep them in basket next to my pipes. If someone were to get a custom rack made taking into account the bigger pipes that would be cool.
I made this a few years ago, and I designed the 'keyhole' shape for the bit, and it holds all my shapes and sizes pretty much...

DSC_0485.jpg
DSC_0458.jpg

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Agree, if you have visible moisture running out of your stem, there’s other issues going on there.

My pipes usually sit in any number of angles but one thing I don’t like are closed holes where the stem goes into. I have a rack that won’t take long shanks because you have to fit it through the damn hole.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I just like the looks of a pipe stored bowl side down. The other way makes all of the luck run out of the pipe.
Uh oh. @gamzultovah has four pipes hanging upside down in his Someone's Been Sitting in My Smoking Chair thread.

Uh oh. @gamzultovah has four pipes hanging upside down in his Someone's Been Sitting in My Smoking Chair thread.

He can always recharge the lucky back to them by smoking some Mixture 79 in them. Me, I’d just throw them away. puffy

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I made this a few years ago, and I designed the 'keyhole' shape for the bit, and it holds all my shapes and sizes pretty much...

View attachment 108224
View attachment 108225
Those are cool racks. My Savinelli rack has tinted glass doors and 3 holes on each side of the rack which lets the pipes breath.

I also would never own a rack that has the stems at the bottom. There is a reason that most every rack built has the heel of the pipe in a slot which keeps the stems facing upward. I am pretty sure that is the best way to dry a pipe properly.

Spa32

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2019
Wisconsin, USA
I completely agree. That's why I made my own racks. I used a Neal Yarm design.

Reactions: BROBS

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
If I could hammer a nail into a piece of wood, I would also copy Neal.

When I decided to open a pool hall in 1990, I spent 3 months going to every pool hall in New England. I stole every good idea I could lay my hands on and also made adjustments to the stupid ideas I saw. I would be willing to bet Neal has no patent for his stuff, copy away I say. lol

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
And maybe think that if the bowl and stem are facing up evaporation may more easily take place? (To the extent it matters).

Reactions: BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don't use racks and they really don't absorb moisture so no need of extended drying. Any moisture build up from smoking should be removed immediately after smoking with pipe cleaners and paper towels to avoid any mold growth or souring.