PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Went to the grocery store to pick up some mason jars. They were all out. Went to two other stores. Same results. I’m not sure if it’s people canning all their damn COVID-garden produce, or if there’s some Coronavirus-prepper thing going on, but there ain’t a mason jar in town. Have y’all experienced the same, or is it just local to me?

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Went to the grocery store to pick up some mason jars. They were all out. Went to two other stores. Same results. I’m not sure if it’s people canning all their damn COVID-garden produce, or if there’s some Coronavirus-prepper thing going on, but there ain’t a mason jar in town. Have y’all experienced the same, or is it just local to me?

Certain sizes are hard to find but our Agway (feed and seed) has them where a lot of other places don’t. Online they are waaaaay more expensive. Took me a while to find the 8oz wide mouth jars.

Reactions: Country Bladesmith

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
No, pretty around SW Ohio.

atomic

Might Stick Around
Nov 27, 2019
Orange County, CA
I would suspect a bit of both. I have read stories of people starting gardens for the first time as a result of being confined to their homes, working or otherwise. The obvious fear (and realities) of tightened lock-downs/restrictions probably have people thinking about how to avoid the hassles of lines and stores in general again along with thinking of long term food security.

I chimed in because just last week I went shopping at 2 grocery markets along with a quick stop at a Target and also happened to need some canning jars. One grocery store was almost depleted and the other grocery store along with the Target had plenty. I happen to live in a suburban area with very few gardeners minus a small handful of families/people that I am aware of in my immediate circle of friends and associates as my only gauge. In fact, the grocery store checkout clerk asked what I was going to do with the jars in such a way that sounded as if he wasn't quite sure as to why someone would buy empty jars without any product in them.

I would guess that in more rural areas, many people are harvesting as would be expected this time of the year and maybe even choosing to put away more than is typical for later with the situation we find ourselves in.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Try a bigger store like Walmart or target. Even better a fleet farm etc. Most grocery stores don’t get that many canning jars IMO.

I can tell there are less on the shelf than normal but they’re out there.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Walmart, Dollar General, the 3 grocery stores are out here. (south Alabama) I checked Dollar Tree just to see what they had.. they have some chinese ones for a buck a piece. If things get desperate those might be ok, It is a pretty simple thing... They're just jars with wax lids.

I've considered ordering some, but they're more expensive that way. I'm also not sure how a big box of mason jars will fair, on that conveyor belt the postal service uses.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I live in an area where there is a lot of canning, but this year with the covid crap more people than ever seem to be gardening, etc. I have noticed that they are $1 more a flat this year, but they are still around.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Bought a case of quart jars today at Walmart. Seemed well stocked. Grocery store had plenty too. Must not be a run on Ball/Mason jars in Central Florida.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
All the big stores in my area are out. I was able to find some golden harvest jars at a local save-a-lot. Also picked up a bunch of quart jars at some yard sales. It does seem that more people are canning this year in my area(Central Kentucky)due to the extra time on there hands. I myself just canned 3 batches of salsa the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.