PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
No, pretty around SW Ohio.
Scratch my previous comment. Mason jars are DEFINITELY now hard to get in my area as well, probably due to everybody canning including all of the new people that started gardens just this year due to the pandemic. I went out to get some jars to do some canning and regular mouth pints are hard to find, wide mouth pints (what I typically use for canning) and quarts are VERY hard to find (I managed to get the last two cases that I could find at various stores), and half pint jars (the ones I use for jam canning and tobacco) are IMPOSSIBLE to find right now. Looking on Target.com, the closest pickup location for the half pint jars is Peoria, IL! No matter, I ordered five cases for delivery and they should arrive soon! Quarter pints and regular mouth quarts are still around here and there, but I never use them.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Up in my neck of the woods, the grocery stores ran out, but hardware stores still had them. It seems like a lot of folks thought they’d get into canning during the stay-at-home period. I’m sure panic prepares were doing their share of hoarding as well. These are the kind of folks who might not think to check out their local Ace or True Value.

I have seen posts all over Facebook where people that wanted to make jam or pickles couldn't find jars anywhere. Here, all of the stores are out as well. People who have been stuck at home and gardening for the first time are getting into canning. For a while I couldn't find bread yeast either, and we have been making our own bread for a long time. But, others getting into it...

I have boxes stacked taller than me with empty jars in the barn, because my Granddad spent years gathering up jars from his friends that passed away. If currency ever fails, I plan on trading jars for pizza and sexual favors. puffy

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I haven't really looked for jars in a while, but dollarama always has some.

I don't much care for the flip top jars for storage. Although everyone's opinion differs, I would suggest not getting those.

Yet, for semi-active use - say within 1-4 months, they are my preference. They're called bail tops here.

Status
Not open for further replies.