jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
first-world-problems_o_931604.jpg

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Here's an option -- CSS overrides. If the styles are distinctively named, this is an easy change:
https://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2013/03/10/how-to-override-css-stylesheets-in-firefox/
Here's instructions for other browsers:
https://brugbart.com/custom-style-sheets
You could also use a plugin for the same:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/custom-style-script/

jazz

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2014
UK
This is only meant as a little constructive criticism/feedback and honestly, I enjoy this forum and will continue to visit. Maybe not every day and sometimes I don't visit for months at a time but I always come back. It IS dated though and could use an overhaul. It's true that using it on a mobile device is poor compared to most others and is the main reason I just don't bother when I'm out and about. This is frustrating because I would read the forum more while mobile. To be frank, the mobile experience is not up to 2017 standards whether the users realise it or not.
There are many nags and niggles but the one that annoys me the most are the notification emails. Every other forum I use sends me notification email links to the thread that when clicked take me to THAT specific post in the thread. It does this so I don't have to scroll up and down trying to find the next damn post I have not read OR memorize part of the post from the email and Ctrl+F to find it. This drives me potty. There are other aspects of the user experience that are also not as intuitive as they should be.
Some things are good though. I like the forum home page in the sense that I like having quite a long list of the latest posts.

Less antiquated to me, than simple. I have been at PSU trying to find where I had posted a comment, and I am having a hard time navigating it. Here seems to fit my old lizard brain better. Funny, I wear bifocals and I don’t have any problems reading the fonts... well... except sometimes I have no idea what the poster is trying to say, ha ha, even if I can read the font. I really like having less options and less buttons. I just use two fingers to enlarge the page.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I use two devices to access this site, an ancient desktop running Windows Vista and a Kindle Fire 10. I reckon that 95% of my access is via the Kindle which I find to be a perfect device for the task in hand as one can resize the pages instantly with the touch screen.
I really only use the desktop for posting pictures as they are all held on the hard drive. I cannot imagine how much I would struggle trying to view the site on a mobile 'phone. Much squinting would be required methinks.
As for how antiquated the site software is I really can't say but on both of my devices it works fine for me and hopefully won't change...I really hate change :evil:
Just my tuppence worth.
Regards,
Jay.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
The reality is, an entire site re-write would be A LOT of work. It's not just simply "slapping a new dress on it".
While there are plenty here that have shared that they feel it's antiquated and not up to 2017 standards, It seems the vast majority are perfectly fine with it.
Unless the scales tip in the other direction, I don't expect you will see a change.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
If a member has a great suggestion PM Kevin with all the details, cost in moneys, time, pluses and minuses, etc. I suspect he'd be open to anything which might increase member numbers, advertiser sales, and so on.
I'm pretty sure a couple of mods have received large wage increases because of my "atta boys." Or, at least they've been allowed more time in the yard to mingle with the other indentured employees.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
The only thing I would like is a "Like" button. :lol:

I like what Kevin has done here, don't go elsewhere so I don't know what other pipe sites are like.

Thanks guys.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
While there are plenty here that have shared that they feel it's antiquated and not up to 2017 standards, It seems the vast majority are perfectly fine with it.
A dirty secret of the web: what users say they want, and what they do, are two different things.
Many of the largest sites out there are still using ancient technology. If it works... and the users get the content they want... then making it fancy is just wank and nothing more.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Can confirm; I use the same thickening techniques with English stew and chilis. But less cayenne in the former.

Status
Not open for further replies.