Are Dunhill pipes today as good as they used to be?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I currently own one Dunhill. It is a 1966 LB in a group 5 size. I bought it strictly for the shape. The blast is nothing special but the shape to my eye is the perfect Billiard. Don't ask me why I think this as I have no clue.

The pipe smokes fine but not as good as my American artrisan made pipes. The stem work is good but not as good as my artisan pipes. I forget I have it sometimes and I should smoke it more. It was in pristine condition except for a nasty ghost which I have been getting rid of. i am going to do another coffee ground cleaning and then an Everclear cleaning in the shank and in the stem.
Here is a pic.

Cheesehammer

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
New York
Hey there folks, I hope everyone's doing well.

I read somewhere that Dunhill pipes made in the sixties and before are the absolute best (something about oil curing the briar), and that pipes made after can't hold a candle no matter what.

Is this true? If I'm looking to buy a Dunhill am I better off buying an estate from those years or is a new Dunhill pipe just as good if not better?

Thanks folks!
I own dunhills from the 1930’s to present. They all smoke well. And are all beautiful pipes. You can feel the same quality from 90 year old pipes and present. with that, as With all pipes, I think they get better over time. Part of that for me is that the wood performs better and also probably because I get more nostalgic for the pipes I smoke for a long time compared to shorter term pipes. The old placebo effect. the Fact is that Dunhill, or the white spot pipes are of very High if not the highest quality. both old and new dunhills also are very collectible and there is a large market for them which helps in the shelling out of large amounts of money for them. Many times I have bought an estate Dunhill, refurbished it and sold it for 50% more than I bought it for. Also, an unfurnished estate will hold value and a new white spot will lose about 20% on purchase…about the same as a car. I never have a worry about getting my moneys worth when buying a new or old Dunhill. I can’t say the same for many other carvers/brands.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
So if someone could break the bull shot down so morons like me could understand it:
What was the last year “Dunhill” produced pipes?
What was the last year “Dunhill” produced tobacco?

I think I already know the answers, but wouldn’t it be nice if it was just common knowledge?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To my knowledge, Dunhill never produced tobacco. They did do some blending for customers which led to over the counter sales. All the dates appear on their history page. I don't want to deprive you of the joy of discovery so, just searh for "dunhill pipes." rotf

• Haha
Reactions: Chasing Embers

Cheesehammer

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
New York
More opinion and marketing than fact. Many of them don't have much appealing grain to speak of.
Yes, I suppose if you define a pipe by the grain on it then you are correct. I don’t define a pipe by its grain. It wouldn’t be a fun hobby for me if I saw the world of pipes through a lens of purely grain. Luckily I have smokeability, quality of briar and stem finish, stem fit in mouth, value and resale value, feel in hand, company reputation, nostalgia for history and lastly collectibility as equally important factors in a pipe purchase as grain may be solely for you. To each his own!

Reactions: Western Isles

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I don’t define a pipe by its grain.
How about the drilling of an HT/XL Shell Briar Collector?

20220409_014324.jpg

Out of five Dunhills, their drilling falls far beneath my standards for quality. Being a factory pipe, I just can't overlook their flaws.

• Haha
Reactions: warren

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I would say you shouldn’t have bought it! Ha. Sounds like you were hurt by a Dunhill or had a bad day . Maybe you should relax and smoke a pipe! 🤪🤪
I had four straights that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. All five were thrown out and put me mostly off of factory pieces. I've had a lit pipe in my jaw most of my waking hours for three decades.

Cheesehammer

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
New York
I had four straights that wouldn't pass a pipe cleaner. All five were thrown out and put me mostly off of factory pieces. I've had a lit pipe in my jaw most of my waking hours for three decades.
That’s great! I don’t. That sounds more like an addiction than a hobby to me. Addictions aren’t fun. I smoke 2 bowls a day. You must know a lot more than me then. Have a good night! So glad I joined this site today! Very happy people here! 👍👍

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That’s great! I don’t. That sounds more like an addiction than a hobby to me. Addictions aren’t fun. I smoke 2 bowls a day. You must know a lot more than me then. Have a good night! So glad I joined this site today! Very happy people here! 👍👍
Yeah, great group here, smokers,, hobbyists,, and even collectors that have never smoked. Nearly any smoking question you can imagine can be answered here. Welcome aboard!

Reactions: Cheesehammer

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I would say you shouldn’t have bought it! Ha. Sounds like you were hurt by a Dunhill or had a bad day . Maybe you should relax and smoke a pipe! 🤪🤪

Cheesehammer ---

This, um, immovable object you are encountering has fallen from the sky and landed in the middle of the Dunhill Discussion Highway here for many years. It happens without fail.

Entire threads have been devoted to rolling the object to the shoulder of the road, in fact.

Without success, however.

Here's a recent one:

Mentioning it because you're new here, so likely trying to decide whether or not you'll stick around, and first impressions always matter.

So: Your best bet for a happy Dunhill Discussion Visit is to pull your conversational four wheel drive lever when it appears and go around it. Follow the red line. It's much easier than trying to push it away with your bumper.

Screen Shot 2022-10-09 at 6.19.40 PM.png

Cheesehammer

Lurker
Oct 9, 2022
New York
Cheesehammer ---

This, um, immovable object you are encountering has fallen from the sky and landed in the middle of the Dunhill Discussion Highway here for many years. It happens without fail.

Entire threads have been devoted to rolling the object to the shoulder of the road, in fact.

Without success, however.

Here's a recent one:

Mentioning it because you're new here, so likely trying to decide whether or not you'll stick around, and first impressions always matter.

So: Your best bet for a happy Dunhill Discussion Visit is to pull your conversational four wheel drive lever when it appears and go around it. Follow the red line. It's much easier than trying to push it away with your bumper.

View attachment 174035
haha. Thank you George’s. I appreciate the explanation. It seemed a bit of an overreaction. I’ll keep my head on a swivel!

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I'm not mad at anyone, Mr. Embers, least of all you.

Hell, I got along with that BROBS guy in Iowa. rotf

It just feels like I am---to you---because I can't let BS stand. Yours or anyone else's. And the repetitive nature of your insistence upon declaring things to be so which aren't gets a response from me every time.

Reactions: trouttimes

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So if someone could break the bull shot down so morons like me could understand it:
What was the last year “Dunhill” produced pipes?
What was the last year “Dunhill” produced tobacco?

I think I already know the answers, but wouldn’t it be nice if it was just common knowledge?
To my knowledge, Dunhill never produced tobacco. They did do some blending for customers which led to over the counter sales. All the dates appear on their history page. I don't want to deprive you of the joy of discovery so, just searh for "dunhill pipes." rotf
Here's some info:

Reactions: mingc and OzPiper
I really enjoy my Dunhill bulldogs, but I don't have any that are newer than the 80's. For me, I just have a problem spending that much for a pipe selected from a table full of identical factory pipes. They aren't outrageously priced (but more so than other factory-mades) but for the money there are so many artisan-mades pipes that come with the luxury of limited or exclusive shapes. But, that is just me, and does not reflect the design or quality of the pipe.

Now, if we were discussing opinions on the "brand," I would just say that I don't have much respect for the Dunhill name these days. But, the actual pipes... I wouldn't say that they are bad by any means.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Status
Not open for further replies.