Are "Drug Store Pipes" really Available at Drug Stores?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

A drug store is usually a small corner store with a pharmacy in it.
We have corporate drugstores also CVS, Walgreens, Elmores, Riteaid, etc... but we also have every other sort also. Some of them have been in business since the 30's and 40's. Some also specialize in office supplies, some still mix meds to order, some specialize in crutches and wheelchairs, some cpap stuff. Most will also have grocery stuff also, along with cheap electronic stuff. I guess it just depends on what part of the world you're in. Lots of old people here. Even Walmart and the grocery store has a pharmacy. Which one we use, depends on what the RX is.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Most drug stores in my area don't sell pipes or tobacco anymore because it is opposed to supplying products that are bad for your health. Man, how times have changed.
and even more so because they can use the retail space for something that sells faster. I'll never forget working at a place that stopped selling tobacco. The public side of it was all we care about your health don't want to sell bad things. The internal memo said they didn't make enough money and the product sat too long in spaces that could be used for products that move. I bet a lot of places did the same thing.

and even more so because they can use the retail space for something that sells faster. I'll never forget working at a place that stopped selling tobacco. The public side of it was all we care about your health don't want to sell bad things. The internal memo said they didn't make enough money and the product sat too long in spaces that could be used for products that move. I bet a lot of places did the same thing.
Gas stations tell me the same thing. Not enough people buying cigarettes nowadays to justify the space. But, what else are they going to put behind the counter? Chewing gum? IPAs?

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
However, as you are waiting in line for the check out, if you are tall enough, and if you stand near the candy rack and prop up on your toes, and look at the shelf behind the candy rack down at floor level,
This is exactly how it was several months ago at our local Walgreens. No Grabows, only cobs and some pipe cleaners. I'll have to check and see if they still have them next time I go to Walgreens.

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
Here in California there are no drug stores, grocery stores or Wal-Marts that sell pipe tobacco. I have on occasion seen a cob sold at Wal-Mart but those are few and far between. And the nearest brick and mortar tobacco stores are about 40 miles away. Cigarette stores sell lots of cigs, vapes and glass pipes, but no pipe tobacco.

This is why I've never smoked any of the classic codger blends (except for CH).

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
First briar I ever bought was a Dr grabow at a Walgreens. I belive they still carry them. I know they sell captain black their still.

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
A drug store is usually a small corner store with a pharmacy in it.

33e3-20140830-shoppers.jpg

Firearms! But I'm Canadian so I'm only going by the stereotype.
Does Shoppers still sell tobacco? I haven’t been home in a couple of years but the one near my parents house is very fancy now - not at all how I remember it from when I was a kid.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
You ask a good question Mike. Like a lot of things, this varies regionally and by indiviual state according to law. It can also vary in the major drug store chains in the US, as to company policy.

For instance CVS sells no tobacco related products nationwide. Walgreens might sell them in Nevada, buy not across the state line in California, where laws are a little more stringent.

In Ohio where I live, as with Texas where I'm from, I've not had issue finding tobacciana at my local drug store. Discount Drug Mart, an Ohio based chain, almost always has pipes & tobacco in stock. It is however usually limited in extent to Dr. Grabow & Missouri Meershaum for pipes and SWR, Carter Hall, Gambler & Smoker's Pride for pipe tobacco.