PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014
Good evening. Pipe newb here. I’ve now had pipes for a few weeks. I currently own 9-10 varieties of tobacco, half of which are aromatics. Thus far out of smokers pride vanilla, lane very cherry, captain black cherry, Kendall black cherry, and molto dolce I have only really enjoyed the molto dolce. All of the cherry blends seem to be very mild with only the slightest hint of cherry. I am not sure of my relatively new pipes are a large factor, or maybe I just have a weak pallet? The few English blends I have tried seemed to be much more flavorful, and the cigar I smoked last night was absolutely amazing to me.

what is your opinions on aromatics, or perhaps what’s the reality of them?
I've found Alcohol flavored Aromatics generally have the most full flavor, unless you're a daredevil and start messing around with Gawith Hogarth Ennerdale.

Sutliff Top Shelf was one of my best experiences as a new Pipesmoker, sadly I think it has been out of production for a few years, though supposedly Smokingpipes.com removes listings for discontinued blends and I still see a listing so you never know: Sutliff Top Shelf 1.5oz | Buy Sutliff Pipe Tobacco at Smokingpipes - https://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/sutliff/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=70635

I will agree that a good Latakia blend is one of the most intense flavors you'll get out of any Tobacco.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I did not expect so many replies. I read all of them and thank you to everyone. Lots of good advice in here. I will put these cherry blends off to the side. All of my tobaccos are in mason jars except the two english blends I have not opened yet. I will just keep at smoking and experimenting when I get the chances and try to keep an open mind. I feel like I have done a good job of not gulping on the pipe, but rather sipping lightly. I will keep on keeping on. Thank you.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Anotherbob said: "honestly I think the biggest issue after what everyone said is those are not the best aros. "

And I think he is correct. I've smoked all of those mention in the OP and, with the exception of Molto Dolce, have never bought them a second time. About half of my tobacco collection are aromatics but the other half are non-aromatics - English Blends, VaPer's, straight Virginias and some Burley blend.

When it comes to aromatics, I PERSONALLY, prefer aromatics made in England and Europe over American made aromatics. I'm not saying the American companies don't make good aromatics but my preference is for blends from Dan Tobacco, Kohlhase & Kopp, HU Tobacco or Gawith & Hoggarth. I also like Lakeland blends.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Anotherbob said: "honestly I think the biggest issue after what everyone said is those are not the best aros. "

And I think he is correct. I've smoked all of those mention in the OP and, with the exception of Molto Dolce, have never bought them a second time. About half of my tobacco collection are aromatics but the other half are non-aromatics - English Blends, VaPer's, straight Virginias and some Burley blend.

When it comes to aromatics, I PERSONALLY, prefer aromatics made in England and Europe over American made aromatics. I'm not saying the American companies don't make good aromatics but my preference is for blends from Dan Tobacco, Kohlhase & Kopp, HU Tobacco or Gawith & Hoggarth. I also like Lakeland blends.
Thanks for the response. Yes I was fond of the Molto myself. Maybe I just need to try some other blends.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Lots of good responses here.

Like others have said, the biggest thing is experience. Tobacco is like wine, liquor, beer, etc. But I'll use wine for the example.

Pick up a bottle of wine and read the flavor profile on it. It may say something like this:

"Notes of Cherries, Blackberries, and Currants with a hint of Vanilla and a touch of Spice."

Now you have never tasted wine before and you buy it. You open it up and it smells like.....Wine.
You taste it and it tastes like......Wine.

You buy 5 more bottle, all different, and they all taste and smell like wine, even though they are all different.

To someone with no experience, all they will probably be able to taste is wine. But to someone who drinks it regularly, they will be able to pick up on the cherries, blackberries, currants, vanilla, and spice. Or at least most of the flavors.

It's all about time and experience.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
I bought a bunch of 10g samples when I was starting & I took notes to try to figure out what was going on. The first ten notes (at least) are complete nonsense - I'd have to go back & try them again, because I was still figuring out how to smoke.

Smoking a lot of different stuff was great for me though, because it turns out that what I like (mainly medium to heavy VaBurs with some punchy VaPers & latakia light English/Balakan/Orientals varying things up) isn't at all what I thought I would.

It might be worth giving a Lakeland (or Lakeland flavoured) blend a shot like pappymac suggests. For me the translation of smell to taste is much more direct than most aromatics - though it does tend to be a bit of a love/hate thing!

Reactions: turbomunkey

Toast

Feb 15, 2021
UK
Also (though it sounds like you're already doing this), if you do buy a tin of something you don't like shove it in a well sealed bag & just move on. Your tastes will likely change & then you've got stuff to go back to.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Lots of good responses here.

Like others have said, the biggest thing is experience. Tobacco is like wine, liquor, beer, etc. But I'll use wine for the example.

Pick up a bottle of wine and read the flavor profile on it. It may say something like this:

"Notes of Cherries, Blackberries, and Currants with a hint of Vanilla and a touch of Spice."

Now you have never tasted wine before and you buy it. You open it up and it smells like.....Wine.
You taste it and it tastes like......Wine.

You buy 5 more bottle, all different, and they all taste and smell like wine, even though they are all different.

To someone with no experience, all they will probably be able to taste is wine. But to someone who drinks it regularly, they will be able to pick up on the cherries, blackberries, currants, vanilla, and spice. Or at least most of the flavors.

It's all about time and experience.
Ok, you just gave me another reason to drink more! ?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This post is boiler plate, but also essential information. Aromatics make up about 95% of pipe tobacco sales, which is to say, they are the foundation (by far) of the pipe and tobacco industry. So love them or hate them, aromatics are what sustain the availability of all of the other single leaf and blend sales. Many of us started pipe smoking with them. A number on Forums feel that they require some technique and experience to thoroughly enjoy. So just remember, without aromatic blends we wouldn't have much else available and distributed.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It really comes down to personal tastes.
I smoke English/Balkan and VaPers mostly, but will have a bowl of an aromatic from time to time when I feel like having a "dessert"
My favourite aromatic blends are Sillems Black, Peterson's Connoiseur's Choice and Erinmore.
I LOVE (eating or drinking) chocolate, but totally dislike chocolate/cocoa flavoured blends which are loved by so many.

Reactions: turbomunkey

Fiddlepiper

Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
I think from my experience I’d say that all aromatics aren’t created equal....

when I bought my first pipe and tobacco the person in the shop recommended a few tobaccos to start me off. Unfortunately they missed the mark quite considerably and the cherry aromatic amongst what I was given nearly put me off. It was hot and harsh and not what I needed to help me learn how to smoke a pipe. (Weirdly it was straight VA that got me hooked)

I’m still learning every bowl but now I can enjoy aromatics and taste the underlying flavours without chasing the topping only.

Not sure I’ve offered anything by the way of help other than maybe circle back round to them once in a while and see how you go. ?‍♂️

Oh and definitely dive into the Lakeland’s. They are excellent. ?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I approach aromatics just for their room note. I smoke them when I’m around others who might appreciate it. That said, the quality of the blend is really apparent in aromatics. The crappy ones are unsmokeable garbage, but the better quality ones taste great and some flavorings (like vanilla, chocolate, whiskey, maple etc) really translate well to the smoke, while they may not taste exactly as they smell in the tin. I do feel like there is less room for error with aros, though...especially as a newer smoker. Go too fast, too hot, you’re gonna get bit, or maybe just have a soggy mess as their just not as forgiving as English or even VA/Per blends.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
I think from my experience I’d say that all aromatics aren’t created equal....

when I bought my first pipe and tobacco the person in the shop recommended a few tobaccos to start me off. Unfortunately they missed the mark quite considerably and the cherry aromatic amongst what I was given nearly put me off. It was hot and harsh and not what I needed to help me learn how to smoke a pipe. (Weirdly it was straight VA that got me hooked)

I’m still learning every bowl but now I can enjoy aromatics and taste the underlying flavours without chasing the topping only.

Not sure I’ve offered anything by the way of help other than maybe circle back round to them once in a while and see how you go. ?‍♂️

Oh and definitely dive into the Lakeland’s. They are excellent. ?
I agree I have multiple cherry blends and they just aren’t my thing right now. It is really what inspired this thread.

Reactions: Toast
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Good evening. Pipe newb here. I’ve now had pipes for a few weeks. I currently own 9-10 varieties of tobacco, half of which are aromatics. Thus far out of smokers pride vanilla, lane very cherry, captain black cherry, Kendall black cherry, and molto dolce I have only really enjoyed the molto dolce. All of the cherry blends seem to be very mild with only the slightest hint of cherry. I am not sure of my relatively new pipes are a large factor, or maybe I just have a weak pallet? The few English blends I have tried seemed to be much more flavorful, and the cigar I smoked last night was absolutely amazing to me.

what is your opinions on aromatics, or perhaps what’s the reality of them?
Like many I started with aromatics, then English, then VaPers, then straight Virginias, the finally burley based blends. I still like an aromatic blend to break things up a bit, somewhat of a palate cleanser. I’ll smoke 2 or 3 bowls of Dragon Flake or Ramsgate, enjoy it for what it is, then head back to my mainstays. I’ll also still mix it up with the occasional English but not often. ☕

Reactions: OzPiper and Toast

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I agree I have multiple cherry blends and they just aren’t my thing right now. It is really what inspired this thread.
There have been lots of excellent replies but the question I keep coming back to is "what did you expect from those particular blends?"

If you're looking for lots of good cherry flavor you won't get it. The best cherry blend I've had is GH&C cherry cream flake but the cherry in it is very mild.

If you want easy to get great cherry berry flavor try Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday. Smoke it slow and cool and you should easily get the flavor.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I like aromatics but as others have said they're not all created equal. When I first started out I bought some Alsbo cherry and that put me off aromatics. After a while I tried some of the Gawith offerings and they were a different beast.
Ennerdale, Germains Plum Cake and Gawith Bourbon Flake are all in my rotation and they're all amazing blends. If you like whisky then Solani 131 is definitely worth a look it's a tasty tobacco with a single malt topping.

YMO

Lurker
Nov 30, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
I've had good luck with Peter Stokkebye aromatics. Actually, I think I've only tried French vanilla, but it is pleasant. A bit subtle and smokes kind of like a Virginia blend. You might give Stokkebye a try. If you like flavor bombs, then it might not be for you, though. I've never smoked an aromatic that tasted like it smelled; vanilla smells vanilla-y but tastes like mild tobacco, etc...

This, even if I'm not a fan of aromatics. I enjoy PS Black Cavendish which has that sweet flavor. However, I found most aromatics to be artificial in flavoring. This is why I mostly stick to English blends.

With that being said, I'm willing to try out different aromatics here and there to find the "one" that I really enjoy. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Mr_houston

Dec 30, 2020
Texas
I came to pipes as a cigar smoker. It was suggested to me that I might enjoy the natural blends instead of the flavored ones. Since you like cigars, maybe you will enjoy the non-aromatic blends more for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.