PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Good evening. Pipe newb here. I’ve now had pipes for a few weeks. I currently own 9-10 varieties of tobacco, half of which are aromatics. Thus far out of smokers pride vanilla, lane very cherry, captain black cherry, Kendall black cherry, and molto dolce I have only really enjoyed the molto dolce. All of the cherry blends seem to be very mild with only the slightest hint of cherry. I am not sure of my relatively new pipes are a large factor, or maybe I just have a weak pallet? The few English blends I have tried seemed to be much more flavorful, and the cigar I smoked last night was absolutely amazing to me.

what is your opinions on aromatics, or perhaps what’s the reality of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Tin note rarely translates to the depth of flavor that new smokers, understandably expect. It smells great? Where’s the taste?

After a bit of experimentation with different tobaccos and learning to take your time, you’ll discover the ability to enjoy very subtle flavors.

Like any other worthwhile endeavor, it takes time.

Aromatics may be where you’ve chosen to begin but may not be your ultimate destination.

Last edited:

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Matter of taste. I don't care for Englishes, or latakia bombs. I'm a dedicated aromatic smoker.

Some people get frustrated by aromatics because they can't taste what they smell.
What are some of your preferred aros, considering it’s your genre?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Matter of taste. I don't care for Englishes, or latakia bombs. I'm a dedicated aromatic smoker.

Some people get frustrated by aromatics because they can't taste what they smell.
I don’t care for Latakia or VA or Aromatics. I’m a dedicated Burley smoker.

Some people get frustrated with Burley because they can’t taste the creamy, nutty sweet flavors that Burley lovers do.

OP - Theres a lesson in the two responses you’ve received.

turbomunkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2021
Chicago, IL
Tin note rarely translates to the depth of flavor that new smokers, understandably expect. It smells great? Where’s the taste?

After a bit of experimentation with different tobaccos and learning to take your time, you’ll discover the ability to enjoy very subtle flavors.

Like any other worthwhile endeavor, it takes time.

Aromatics May be where you’ve chosen to begin but may not be your ultimate destination.
I like your philosophical view. I think you are right. I have a couple more English blends I haven’t even opened. It’s the weekend, so ample time to do to testing and reflection.

Reactions: Grangerous

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Aromatics may be where you’ve chosen to begin but may not be your ultimate destination.
Some of us have gone along the orbit and ended up back home.

I tried all the other genres and wasn't impressed.

What are some of your preferred aros, considering it’s your genre?
I don't really have favourites. I don't have any fabled "all day smoke". Every time I buy tobacco, I buy something different. I think in my "cellar" there are only 2-4 "repeats", blends I purchased more than one tin of mostly because they were about to become extinct, such as Dunhill Nightcap and MB Vintage Syrian: I hardly ever touch these.

But, if pressed to suggest something, then definitely Sillem's Black. Oh, and MB's Vanilla Cream.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I like your philosophical view. I think you are right. I have a couple more English blends I haven’t even opened. It’s the weekend, so ample time to do to testing and reflection.
I wish there was a shortcut. There isn’t. Eventually you’re going to try a tobacco that clicks for you.

That blend will serve as a base of understanding the type of tobacco you prefer.

Most new people begin with aromatics, drawn to their wonderful tin note.

Try a Virginia. Try a Burley. Try a Latakia. Try Perique. Try Orientals

Aromatics aren’t necessarily best for beginners. It takes good technique to enjoy them properly.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
There's the answer. It takes a lot of technique perfecting to get the most out of aromatics. English and burley blends are more user friendly and forgiving to a beginner.
Yup. Englishes tend to burn cooler because of the oils, whereas aromatics tend to burn hotter because of the sugars. Thus, if tongue burn is an issue, an English is more likely to become a preferred blend.

There's also the fact that latakia is so brazen in yielding flavour that it's nigh impossible not to taste it. Thus, a new smoker frustrated with "not getting taste" out of an aromatic, is immediately bewitched by an English because the flavour is so obvious. Thing with Englishes is that the selfsame component that makes them impossible not to get taste from is also the thing that makes them unidimensional and monotonous.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Good evening. Pipe newb here. I’ve now had pipes for a few weeks. I currently own 9-10 varieties of tobacco, half of which are aromatics. Thus far out of smokers pride vanilla, lane very cherry, captain black cherry, Kendall black cherry, and molto dolce I have only really enjoyed the molto dolce. All of the cherry blends seem to be very mild with only the slightest hint of cherry. I am not sure of my relatively new pipes are a large factor, or maybe I just have a weak pallet? The few English blends I have tried seemed to be much more flavorful, and the cigar I smoked last night was absolutely amazing to me.

honestly I think the biggest issue after what everyone said is those are not the best aros. Then again I never have liked cherry pipe tobaccos so.... Try some others. Also biggest thing with a pipe in my opinion is to make sure you go slow and sip the smoke puffing kills flavor and burns tongues. And don't worry about if the pipe goes out. I personally really like the seven seas line of aros. I also really like Edward G Robinson both the actor and his pipe blend.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
There's the answer. It takes a lot of technique perfecting to get the most out of aromatics. English and burley blends are more user friendly and forgiving to a beginner.

And being humble.

Yep, at the end of the day it's cramming leaves into a pipe, lighting them on fire, and sipping the smoke. But, there are so many little intricacies that make an aro, although more often than not considered to be beginner's tobacco, really shine. My own path has been very similar to what the OP is explaining. I started with all sorts of who knows what. Hated all of them - they tasted plain, bit my tongue, etc. Moved on to other stuff and really found some things I liked. Learned more about smoking - how to sip the pipe, how to pack the bowl, how to retrohale, how to tamp, how to light, etc. On a whim I smoked an aro not too long ago and the experience couldn't be any more different from the first one I had. I now enjoy the heck out of them. In fact, in the last week, I've purchased 5lbs of one of them.

One bit of advice, though - there can be a degree of difference in your experience if you smoke aros that are lower quality vs. those that are better assembled - at least this has been my experience. Some wadded up ball of goop isn't probably going to be much fun, but if you find some that are well-crafted, the experience might be a bit better for you. As far as recommendations, that's going to be half the fun. Buy stuff, try stuff, find what you like. Taste is so subjective that you really need to just figure out your own. The good thing is that, through exploring, you'll hone your process and it'll all start to come together.

My initial comment comes from my own experience. True, it's just burning leaves, so it seems like it can't be difficult. And, in truth, it's not. But shutting up and listening when you're around folks who know what they're doing, or taking advice even though it seems too simple to need it, will help you learn. I'm not suggesting you don't, please don't take it that way. Just from my own experience; I had it figured out and didn't really pay much attention to some solid advice I was given by folks with YEARS of experience.

At the end of the day, keep it enjoyable. If you're smoking something you hate, dump the bowl and move on. But put the tobacco in a jar and revisit it in a year. Don't pitch it because there may come a day where you have evolved a bit, retry it, and find it's exceptionally good.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
OP - Olkofri said, “I don't really have favourites. I don't have any fabled "all day smoke". Every time I buy tobacco, I buy something different...”

I have a single favorite tobacco and I find it very hard to smoke anything else.

See the differences of opinions?

We can offer suggestions, but only you can find what you like and only time and experience will get you there.

Strauss

Lurker
Feb 19, 2021
Philadelphia

I've had good luck with Peter Stokkebye aromatics. Actually, I think I've only tried French vanilla, but it is pleasant. A bit subtle and smokes kind of like a Virginia blend. You might give Stokkebye a try. If you like flavor bombs, then it might not be for you, though. I've never smoked an aromatic that tasted like it smelled; vanilla smells vanilla-y but tastes like mild tobacco, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.