PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
OK. So let me understand. They are not making pouches of Carter Hall or Prince Albert and they are currently not making 14 oz tins of each blend but they will be doing this in the near future! So in the final analysis they are not making anything right now and thus ergo it has been discontinued! Thats like the old 'Possible and Probable' class. A naked bronzed man with a prominent erection is standing by a Grand Piano. To his left is a beautiful blond, naked and draped over a sofa. Its possible he might be considering taking a piss in the Grand Piano but it more probable that he is going to bonk the blond on the sofa! rotf

• Haha
Reactions: pantsBoots

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
OK. So let me understand. They are not making pouches of Carter Hall or Prince Albert and they are currently not making 14 oz tins of each blend but they will be doing this in the near future! So in the final analysis they are not making anything right now and thus ergo it has been discontinued! Thats like the old 'Possible and Probable' class. A naked bronzed man with a prominent erection is standing by a Grand Piano. To his left is a beautiful blond, naked and draped over a sofa. Its possible he might be considering taking a piss in the Grand Piano but it more probable that he is going to bonk the blond on the sofa! rotf
All I can tell you is that I called them twice, and both times, that was exactly the company PSA.

Reactions: ofafeather

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
As you can see there are lot of archetypes in peoples' opinion. Personally I would have chosen Escudo and Nightcap as the real archtypes of this parades. Not saying they are better than the others but they have lasted much longer.
Agreed about the opinions, but that's the only way of getting toward a consensus - I will order some of those most frequently mentioned. A poll seems in order, but only an experienced and broad-minded smoker could produce such a thing, and I'm guessing this platform wouldn't support it anyway.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
So the short and obvious answer to the OP's question, based on the following responses, is that there are no archetypal blends that define a genre. Everyone has their own view and there is little to no consensus.

There are blends that are better known, like the above mentioned Capstan. There are copycat blends cased in tins with very famous names, like Balkan Sobranie or Escudo, that would have been considered archetypes in their earlier incarnations, but are pretty mediocre now.

This leaves you free to explore freely and find your own archetypes

So the short and obvious answer to the OP's question, based on the following responses, is that there are no archetypal blends that define a genre. Everyone has their own view and there is little to no consensus.

There are blends that are better known, like the above mentioned Capstan. There are copycat blends cased in tins with very famous names, like Balkan Sobranie or Escudo, that would have been considered archetypes in their earlier incarnations, but are pretty mediocre now.

This leaves you free to explore freely and find your own archetypes.
So then we've circled back to - "did you really imagine there was any such thing" as consensus? But the discussion is fascinating. And the number of Likes would indicate that some agreement exists.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
How archetypical are they if they have changed so many times they no longer resemble the original mixture? I haven't had original blends of any popular blends to say the difference, but it seems Dunhill/Peterson blends are different from what is available today. Nightcap is still popular, but I often hear "it's not what it used to be."

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
How archetypical are they if they have changed so many times they no longer resemble the original mixture? I haven't had original blends of any popular blends to say the difference, but it seems Dunhill/Peterson blends are different from what is available today. Nightcap is still popular, but I often hear "it's not what it used to be."
Is anything like it use to be?☺?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Not sure how you would distinguish a Scottish blend. Tobacco reviews and Smoking Pipes, both describe 965 as an English blend. Carl Ehwa, who was something of an authority, describes the whole category as English-Scottish.
The cavendish disqualifies it as an English.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Is there a rule for this somewhere? IMHO burley in a blend would disqualify it as an English but many blends are so described while containing that leaf. I characterize them as American-English.
I think GL Pease had a guide on it, but I think there's just been too much genre crossing over the years for anything to be concrete. I even remember a time when latakia and Orientals were called aromatics and the vanillas, cherries, etc. were called flavored blends. ?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.