PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So the short and obvious answer to the OP's question, based on the following responses, is that there are no archetypal blends that define a genre. Everyone has their own view and there is little to no consensus.

There are blends that are better known, like the above mentioned Capstan. There are copycat blends cased in tins with very famous names, like Balkan Sobranie or Escudo, that would have been considered archetypes in their earlier incarnations, but are pretty mediocre now.

This leaves you free to explore freely and find your own archetypes.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
People like to dog on Escudo, but I find it a fantastic VaPer and great starting point for the genre. Peterson Navy Rolls is a bit better for a bit more money. Orlik Golden Sliced is a benchmark for me in a very light (though flavorful) VaPer.

Above suggestions for English, Balkan, and Orientals are good suggestions.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Archetypal may be a little high flown for the question. It brings to mind the saying, what music do you dance to? Since no one has addressed burley blends, I'll offer these, favorites to some, cursed by others, but pretty well known. Granger is a very long-lived though sometimes changed by changing ownership, Kentucky rough cut, technically aromatic with molasses flavoring, though often sold as non-aromatic. Though relatively new on the market, but now widely known, Semois Tabac-Manil, is a Belgium grown burley variant that ships very dry and is somewhat polarizing, causing delight for some (like me) and throwing up by others. Old standards like Carter Hall, and its matches like Chatham Manor, and Prince Albert and its match Prince Andrew, are other standard burley blends. Amphora Burley is a recent addition, but a well blended burley non-aromatic. Cornell&Diehl is a master blender with burley, although that is not their only offering, but they have elevated burley to a base and constituent leaf in premium blends and have a remarkable number of burley inclusive blends on offer. Devoted Virginia smokers may not think much of them, but I consider them a standard bearer with Billy Budd, Old Joe Kranze, and dozens of others. That's my short take on burley.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
People like to dog on Escudo, but I find it a fantastic VaPer and great starting point for the genre. Peterson Navy Rolls is a bit better for a bit more money. Orlik Golden Sliced is a benchmark for me in a very light (though flavorful) VaPer.

Above suggestions for English, Balkan, and Orientals are good suggestions.
Even better than Peterson navy rolls is McConnell Highgate

Reactions: ofafeather

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I bet for a lot of people these are the blends that got them into a particular genre. I feel like there are a lot of blends that I would say are good representatives to a genre. I'd for example recommend Edward G. Robinson blend for anyone who is curious about old school aromatic cross over blends (not as aromatic as others, but more aromatic then tobaccoish). I feel that would give a good example of that type of pipe tobacco.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
All of the creations listed above are excellent in their own way and to their perspective smokers!

I wish you the best in your delicious or disastrous journey to discover the one that is best suited to you!!

Personally, I would buy 1or 2 or 12 tins of everything listed above, except for the lat blends. They are all quintessential blends!!

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
Hopefully this question won't result in anyone shaming me with "did you really imagine there was any such thing?"

Sooo....are there any quintessential blends out there which are so established that most experienced pipers would agree they are the archetypes of their styles? "You can't say you understand English blends unless you've smoked THIS."

Can you make me a complete list, or better yet, a color infographic with animations?

Hang on, don't answer yet, I'm trying to light my anti-scorn incense....

Yeah, we’ll all fight over them because that’s what a pipe forum is for, but I’ll give you what I consider for myself the archetypal blends.

VA: Full Virginia Flake, HHPure VA, Yorktown

VaPer: Escudo (not what is was, sure, but it’s still good imho), Luxury Navy Flake

Burley: Five Brothers

English: Nightcap, Westminster

Other categories that branch off of these? I don’t know what the archetypal VaKyPer is. Oh, wait. yes I do. Old Gowrie.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Was not aware DNR had Cavendish. Matter of fact, pretty sure it doesn't? You thinking of Davidoff Flake Medallions?
Interesting no it doesn’t. Maybe that’s why I like Highgate so much more. Definitely thinking of another blend.

it’s not black cav like you think it would be... I enjoy it quite a bit more than even the Davidoff.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.