PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

LikeDadDid

Can't Leave
Apr 27, 2021
Virginia Beach
Hopefully this question won't result in anyone shaming me with "did you really imagine there was any such thing?"

Sooo....are there any quintessential blends out there which are so established that most experienced pipers would agree they are the archetypes of their styles? "You can't say you understand English blends unless you've smoked THIS."

Can you make me a complete list, or better yet, a color infographic with animations?

Hang on, don't answer yet, I'm trying to light my anti-scorn incense....

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
Archetypal Balkans: Balkan Sasieni, McConnell Oriental Square, L.J. Peretti Royal. nu-Balkan Sobranie, Penzance, and Dunhill Durbar don't make the cut due to lack of availability.

Archetypal Orientals: McConnell Oriental, Robt Lewis Orcilla Mixture, L. J. Peretti Tashkent. Honorable mentions to Peretti Oriental #40 and Fox's Campanile (may it rest in peace).

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Archetypal VaPers is a little more tricky. When I first joined, I would have said Escudo, but since I find Escudo not to be what it used to be. Now, I guess Bayou Morning Flake is about as archetypical as there is. Maybe Haddos Delight... if we aren't splitting hairs.
I wouldn’t call any of those “archetypical” besides maybe escudo.

BMF just isn’t very good and Haddos has dark fired burley.

for VaPer I’d say Elizabethan or it’s match, cabbies mixture, St James Flake, or Dunbar.

I wouldn’t call any of those “archetypical” besides maybe escudo.

BMF just isn’t very good and Haddos has dark fired burley.

for VaPer I’d say Elizabethan or it’s match, cabbies mixture, St James Flake, or Dunbar.
Escudo is definitely famous, it's just not the same blend anymore that got famous. IMO. I don't suggest that one to people any more.

I did say that Haddos, if we weren't splitting hairs. I don't have a problem with dark fired being in my archtypical VaPers. YMMV Jeremy has said that burleys are in more blends than we all may be aware of.

I agree on Elizabethan... but Cabbies is no longer in production (or distributed in the US), right? St James might as well not be, because it's usually harder to find than sasquatch, and Dunbar... ha ha... I would think that Esoterica blends would be too exclusive to be archetypical. But, if that's the case Penzance is the first Balkan that comes to mind.

I was thinking that there would be a difference between what I prefer and archetypical. The best blends aren't always archetypical.

I don't give a rats hiney about FVF, but I know that it is the most commonly regarded Virginia. puffy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Escudo is definitely famous, it's just not the same blend anymore that got famous. IMO. I don't suggest that one to people any more.

I did say that Haddos, if we weren't splitting hairs. I don't have a problem with dark fired being in my archtypical VaPers. YMMV Jeremy has said that burleys are in more blends than we all may be aware of.

I agree on Elizabethan... but Cabbies is no longer in production (or distributed in the US), right? St James might as well not be, because it's usually harder to find than sasquatch, and Dunbar... ha ha... I would think that Esoterica blends would be too exclusive to be archetypical. But, if that's the case Penzance is the first Balkan that comes to mind.

I was thinking that there would be a difference between what I prefer and archetypical. The best blends aren't always archetypical.

I don't give a rats hiney about FVF, but I know that it is the most commonly regarded Virginia. puffy
Right I don’t like Elizabethan, either

but I’d call those blends fairly representative of VaPers. Haddos has a bit more than just an undetectable amount of burley etc IMO.

is cabbies out of production? I didn’t know that if so

Jun 23, 2019
Crap, when I was last in The Briary, they told me that Cabbies and Bothy were being discontinued. So, I bought them all. Maybe they were just misinformed, or duping me into a larger purchase than I would ordinarily make. puffy

Maybe I'm not as up to date as I had thought. I have bought Cabbie's every year until the Pandy, have they discontinued them?

Wow, might have to treat those last 2 tins of Bothy I have more gentlemanly... ?

Maybe I'm not as up to date as I had thought. I have bought Cabbie's every year until the Pandy, have they discontinued them?

Wow, might have to treat those last 2 tins of Bothy I have more gentlemanly... ?
Maybe I was told wrong. If no one on here has heard, most likely I was just jipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.