PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Thank you to everyone who replied with their top choice(s). And even though @warren kept his favorite close to his chest, I appreciate his prudent advice on practicing moderation. ;)

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I see lots that I haven't heard of, and several that are tasty to my palate as well.

I started a little "orchard" about 5 years ago and although it's mostly decoration, I'm trimming and doing what I can to get them all to be producers. 4 of my trees are apple. One each of Arkansas Black, Fuji, Macintosh, & Granny Smith.

I used to like plain old red apples as a kid but they became tasteless to me - of course they're all via mega-store chains so not really fair on determining good quality flavor. I should travel to some of the orchards in AR and see what I can find.

As far as the sugar, it's not all "equal". Sugar from fruit comes with it's own "mop" of insoluble fiber and has different effects on the body than what most people should worry about in their total (processed) sugar consumption.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I grew up in an area with numerous apple orchards and my favorites are Macintosh and Northern Spy. The former makes the best apple pie, especially fresh from the tree. I remember Spy apples getting to the size of grapefruit, they matured late in the year we usually got a couple of bushel in November.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
There are some pick your own orchards in the mountains of NC. Some of them have a variety called Stayman Winesap. They are crisp (and stay that way even when super ripe) but are not super sweet. Not as tart as a granny smith, but not super sweet either.