PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Well, McIntosh are local, so they’re pretty much the favorite, but Honeycrisps are all the rage lately.

Reactions: timt

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My son-in-law, a Type 1 diabetic, must be very careful around fruits. Lots of sugar in fruit and, natural or processed, sugars are something to enjoy in moderation.
You’re absolutely right about moderation. There’s nothing moderate about Halloween candy in my world ?
Grapples anyone?
I’ve had those. Interesting to say the least. Don’t see them often.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, if you're into sugar cuts you won't be enjoying your apples like I do mine: in a bowl, beat vigorously to mix 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 Tbsp sugar, pour over a diced apple, add raisins, sprinkle cinnamon, mix again and enjoy! ?

Why only raise your sugar when you can boost your cholesterol too? ?

You can add cole slaw to the mix as well.

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011
They were in season last February, so it may be December or January before we see them again. I have a hard time bringing myself to buy apples when they are out of their season, because I know they've just been setting in either nitrogen or argon for months.

You'll likely be buying plain-old refrigerated apples into March or later for most varieties. After that, some percentage will likely have been in controlled atmosphere - which is low Oxygen and increased Nitrogen (and CO2). Argon is not used.

You're more likely to be eating fruit that was picked earlier (higher starch, lower sugar, more firm, better storage) the later into the season you go. It depends a lot on variety as well.. 2020 (North American) Galas probably started hitting the shelves in early August, but the 2020 pink ladies probably won't get packed for a little while. 2020 Cosmic crisp probably won't hit shelves for a couple of months. There will still be a lot of 2019 apples being eaten for a few more months.

Favorites of mine are Fuji, Pink Lady, Ever Crisp, Cosmic Crisp, and Opal.

You'll likely be buying plain-old refrigerated apples into March or later for most varieties. After that, some percentage will likely have been in controlled atmosphere - which is low Oxygen and increased Nitrogen (and CO2). Argon is not used.

You're more likely to be eating fruit that was picked earlier (higher starch, lower sugar, more firm, better storage) the later into the season you go. It depends a lot on variety as well.. 2020 (North American) Galas probably started hitting the shelves in early August, but the 2020 pink ladies probably won't get packed for a little while. 2020 Cosmic crisp probably won't hit shelves for a couple of months. There will still be a lot of 2019 apples being eaten for a few more months.

Favorites of mine are Fuji, Pink Lady, Ever Crisp, Cosmic Crisp, and Opal.
Hmmmm... well, when I sell my harvest to packers like Yakima, they pack them in argon. Can’t say they all do, but...

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Cosmic Crisp is an absolutely fantastic apple. Can't grow them yet in my state so they suck, for now.

My favorite tree in the orchard is Hudson's Golden Gem. You're unlikely to see it in a store because it has ugly thick rough skin like a russet potato and comes in every weird warped shape but round. What it lacks in curb appeal it more than makes up for with it's spectacular flavor and crisp juicy flesh. It tastes like an asian pear, so much so that I have to wonder if it has some pear genetics somewhere deep in it's ancestry. It's similar to Ashmead's Kernel, just more ugly, juicy, and tasty.

1603746314251.png

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Well, if you're into sugar cuts you won't be enjoying your apples like I do mine: in a bowl, beat vigorously to mix 1/4 cup sour cream and 1 Tbsp sugar, pour over a diced apple, add raisins, sprinkle cinnamon, mix again and enjoy! ?

Why only raise your sugar when you can boost your cholesterol too? ?

You can add cole slaw to the mix as well.
Hell yeah! I don’t mind taking this thread off course a little.

“A Waldorf salad is a fruit and nut saladgenerally made of fresh apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes, dressed in mayonnaise, and traditionally served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal. The apples, celery, and grapes can all be green, which harmonizes the color palette of the dish.”

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Cosmic Crisp is an absolutely fantastic apple. Can't grow them yet in my state so they suck, for now.

My favorite tree in the orchard is Hudson's Golden Gem. You're unlikely to see it in a store because it has ugly thick rough skin like a russet potato and comes in every weird warped shape but round. What it lacks in curb appeal it more than makes up for with it's spectacular flavor and crisp juicy flesh. It tastes like an asian pear, so much so that I have to wonder if it has some pear genetics somewhere deep in it's ancestry. It's similar to Ashmead's Kernel, just more ugly, juicy, and tasty.

View attachment 48507

looks like a pear.

Reactions: wolflarsen
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Hell yeah! I don’t mind taking this thread off course a little.

“A Waldorf salad is a fruit and nut saladgenerally made of fresh apples, celery, walnuts, and grapes, dressed in mayonnaise, and traditionally served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal. The apples, celery, and grapes can all be green, which harmonizes the color palette of the dish.”

Almost as gross as this..

strave19

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 13, 2011

That's cool! I've never seen anything quite like it.

Reactions: wolflarsen

ChuckMijo

Sep 26, 2020
I visit my grandparents in Mexico every year in November. She always has Chamoy apples made for my family as a snack when we arrive.

B_Rock

Jul 11, 2020
San Jose, CA
Washington Fuji apples were my go to for many years until I tried an Envy, which has now become my daily apple.

Tommy Boy

Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
I also enjoy fresh Michigan apples like McIntosh, Jonathan, cortland, jonagold, ida red and a new strain smitten. Apples are my favorite fruit and i eat one almost every day. A close second would be Michigan blueberries but they have a much shorter season and dont store like apples wraped in news paper in a chest cooler.

Reactions: musicman and timt

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
WE have access to about 10 orchards within 25 minutes of us. Honey Crisps and Snow Sweets are my jam. We use granny smiths for pies and tarts. I wish there was a decent apple blend that did not create jerky tongue when smoking. The few I have seen are not worth wasting money on.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I have found that apples are the best palate refresher. It's a good thing I love apples, and they helped me lose a lot of weight. I eat three to four a day. Golden delicious are my favorite, but I also love Jazz, Cosmic Crisp, MacIntosh,and Envy, among others.