PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My wife, grandson and I all recently celebrated birthdays earlier this month, so beginning with b-day cakes, parties and desserts, things morphed into Halloween candy within reach at all times. I made a bold decision to quit sugar for a week to detox. It's hard but if there's fruit around, it's not too bad.

If you read the what are you smoking thread, you'll see JimInks mention snacking on an apple. Jim is on to something there. Apples have helped me get away from the candy and they're fantastic between bowls to refresh the palate. Right now we have Courtland and Honey Crisp. They're both good but I'm giving a slight edge to Honey Crisp.

What's your favorite apple?

I detest Red "Delicious" apples, they are bitter astringent paste.
The reason the ones you buy taste so bad, is that they harvest them when they are green and force them ripe. I grow red delicious apples and goldens, and they are much more flavorful and sweet than the ones at the grocery store.

Also, apples help me lose weight. I eat one a day before bed, instead of a more sugary snack. It seems top clean me out overnight, and the pounds start dropping off me.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Also, apples help me lose weight. I eat one a day before bed, instead of a more sugary snack. It seems top clean me out overnight, and the pounds start dropping off me.

Truth. I've lost 35 pds in the past year and kept it off, and one of the ways I've done it has been by eating way more fruit in my diet. My breakfast every morning is mixed fruit with plain yogurt, and it's the perfect way to start each day. It's such a simple pleasure, but I look forward to breakfast every day now!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Have you guys tried the Cosmic apples? ...and NO I didn't have anything to do with them. But, when Mrs Cosmic saw them in the stores, she brought home a bunch. They are a hybrid of honeycrisps with more sugar and tartness. Very tasty snacks.
No never heard of that one either. I knew you guys would come up with some but let’s see what kind of luck I’ll have finding them...

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
No never heard of that one either. I knew you guys would come up with some but let’s see what kind of luck I’ll have finding them...
They were in season last February, so it may be December or January before we see them again. I have a hard time bringing myself to buy apples when they are out of their season, because I know they've just been setting in either nitrogen or argon for months.

Last edited:
Reactions: timt