Anything That Eliminates Odor from Pipes Sitting Out?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
So I’m building up my collection of pipes and I bought stands to display them on. I live in a one bedroom apartment with my girlfriend, and she recently commented “it’s starting to smell like tobacco in here”. UH OH. I had them sitting out for maybe 2 days. I want to display my pipes and not have them shoved in plastic bags in a drawer. But I also do not want to upset her and stink up the place! I’m wondering if there’s anything you all have used to eliminate such an odor? I don’t want to buy an expensive air purifier or anything If I don’t have to. But I’d also like something that’s fairly “set it and forget it” and not just like... febreezing that corner 3 times a day. Anybody else tackled this issue before and have any good suggestions? Many thanks in advance!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I take it you clean them thoroughly and religiously after every smoke?
My apartment doesn't smell of tobacco, but if I stand next to the bookcase where the pipe rack is I do get a whiff of a smokey scent. Not like cigarettes or pipe tobacco, but more like burnt wood. I find it rather pleasant.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I do clean them after every smoke, and the entire place doesn’t reek but if you stand within a couple feet of the wall mounted piece I keep my pipe gear on, you can smell the burnt odor. I also happen to have said piece in our bedroom since there’s nowhere else good to mount it. I do like having some good cake built up, but I’m wondering if I shaved the cake down to almost nothing I bet they wouldn’t hardly smell at all. I guess that’ll be my first step. And smokers candle might be worth looking into, I didn’t know there was such a thing.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I see.
FWIW, I don't like cake in my pipes. I don't ream them, but give them a good scrubbing with paper towel after smoking. Even with this I'll still get some carbonation in the chamber that will protect the pipe. The fabled cake is not really a must, if you ask me (and others).
Alternatively, you could get a glass-walled cabinet you could put them in: such as these ones, or something cheaper. However, the smell will build up inside the cabinet and come out the stronger every time you open it.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Olkofri it seems I must tackle the cake, then. I do like having a nice layer built up though. I have a pretty small Pete and that little thing used to get hot when the bowl was brand new! I suppose I can try it without so much though, and see how she smokes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Lampe Berger! Best system for small spaces IMHO. My gal was starting to complain about the "smell" from my pipes and I researched many different deodorizing methods. I found that the lampe berger works great if set next to your pipe racks. Tip: let her pick out the scent she likes! Also, they don't work as well if you are actually smoking in the apartment (they aren't great at cutting actual smoke odor, but do well for cutting the drying pipe or pipe tobacco and latakia odors).

orRZt50.jpg

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
npod, outstanding! Might be just the ticket. I don’t smoke inside so no worries there, just need to freshen up the small space since these are stored pretty darn close to the bed. Thanks for the recommendation!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not trying to be fiend's advocate here, but... I've a Berger lamp, and I find it does a good job of doing away with smells, it does a good job of making the place smell nice, and it does a fantastic job of irritating my upper airways. Your mileage might vary, but I wouldn't light that lamp in my bedroom. You try it and see.
Another temporary solution might be to get another rack you can place somewhere else in the apartment. I keep my pipes on a rack on a bookcase shelf in the living room. When you move to a larger place, you can place the pipes back in the wall-mounted thing you're currently using.
See what works for you.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lampe Berger to appease the GF. But to really get rid of the odor, flush out the chamber and airway with hot tap water. Dry with paper towel and pipe cleaner in the airway.
Heavy reaming alone will do nothing regarding the odor.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[But to really get rid of the odor, flush out the chamber and airway with hot tap water. Dry with paper towel and pipe cleaner in the airway.]

This is exactly what I do and there is no smell at all.

economistandfisherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 11, 2018
Whatever you use, you're simply covering up one smell with another smell, and if your girlfriend is a non-smoker, she'll always be able to discern the difference, and it will only get worse with time. Think of one of those Glade air fresheners, after about a week of having them plugged in, you can no longer smell it because you become used to it; if you are a non-smoker and that happens, the only thing that will come through is the acrid smell of the pipes. Basically, in my opinion, you're screwed...go back to the Ziploc bags like I use and sell the pipe stand on ebay. I live in a 4,200 square foot house, and there is nowhere in the house that I can have an exposed pipe that my wife doesn't smell it, and we have Glade plug in air fresheners throughout the house, and she's even a fan of my pipe smoking hobby! Pipes are pretty (sort of) but I'm assuming your girlfriend is more important...think of this, she could insist that you quit altogether; don't get in a pissing match, just bag the pipes up in Ziplocs.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
But to really get rid of the odor, flush out the chamber and airway with hot tap water. Dry with paper towel and pipe cleaner in the airway.

This is exactly what I do and there is no smell at all.
Yes, this works very well for me also. I don't do this after every bowl but maybe every 4 or 5 bowls. I'm a heavy smoker and 8-10 bowls a day when I'm off work is common. I fold a paper towel and rotate it into the bowl along with a pipe cleaner through the stem after every smoke. Hot water rinse the whole pipe every couple of days while scrubbing with pipe cleaners and a shank brush, holding the parts under a stream of hot water (kitchen sink). And yes, I remove the stem for this. I don't expose the pipe to the hot water for very long, maybe a minute or so. Thorough drying with paper towels and pipe cleaners right away. Replace the stem immediately and let dry for a solid 24 hours (longer is better). Pipes still look brand new.
My pipes are in the living room on a bookshelf and absolutely no smell when I walk by my stands of 30 or so pipes. Wifey has yet to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.