PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
I will occasionally make adjustments to a blend when the taste is not quite what I'm looking for. I prefer blends with latakia and to be a little on the sweet side. So, I may add black Cavendish or stoved Virginias to sweeten things up a little and a bit of latakia for more smokiness. On occasion, I might also add a little perique.
Anyone else like to tweak his pipe tobacco a bit to fit his taste preferences?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Very often. First off its work to get good tobacco in the EU. Its also expensive compared to the US. Mixing and adjusting is just part of life if you want variety. Also its just fun.

I think of it like cooking. If you can make good sauces off the cuff you can successfully mix tobacco. If you cant you will have many failures.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ll do it from time to time. Before the work week I pack small Snus tins with pipe tobak (4-5 of them for variety over the week). Often I will mix up “cocktails” in those.
As my selection has grown, and I’ve narrowed down what I like I do this much less often.
Now I may add a stronger tobacco that complements a blend I like the flavor of but may be lighter than I prefer.
As @Sigmund mentioned, it like learning cooking, as far as getting the hang of what works with what repeatably.

I’d suggest getting a couple ounces of less expensive bulk varieties and experiment in small batches before mixing up multiple ounces of experiment that the sum may be worse than the parts.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
The majority of the time I do in pipe mixing....meaning I just make enough to go in the pipe Im smoking. That is a good way to experiment. I know that ideally I should be blending a bit and letting it sit for all the flavors to meld but this works for me for now. I imagine the ratios would change if they sat together sealed or even under pressure. If you just do enough for one pipe you really need to watch how you load it or it wont ballance. Its best to keep notes though Im not very good about that.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I do that a lot. I would say at least half of what I smoke is concoctions I've mixed out of bulk blends and whole leaf. However, if it came in a tin that I overpaid for (Canada) I will smoke it and enjoy it unmodified.

Reactions: Leomania and FLDRD

Roach1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
Very often. First off its work to get good tobacco in the EU. Its also expensive compared to the US. Mixing and adjusting is just part of life if you want variety. Also its just fun.

I think of it like cooking. If you can make good sauces off the cuff you can successfully mix tobacco. If you cant you will have many failures.
Any Suggestions what to Mix.

Reactions: Leomania

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Just to two:

I find the bourbon too strong on Bourbon Barrel Aged Plum Pudding, so I cut it 50% in a mixture that's 20% Northwoods, 15% Whiskey Biscuit Gravy, and 15% Shepherd's Pie.

The other may not count:
I like to start Ennerdale with just a little Vanilla Roll Cake on top. So I'll pack the bowl 3/4 with Ennerdale and then top it off with a little VRC to start it. Very complementary.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I like HU tobaccos.

Makhuwa with a pinch of lat is great

Directors cut with a pinch of salty dongs by Dan pipe is tasty. Also you can add a pinch of blending lat for something different

Others...Marlin Flake goes well with wallace Flake. It also goes well with HH latakia flake

I have blending perique but most often the blends have enough but i need to play with it more.

If you have Dan pipe St Bernart it goes great with some small cube cut Salty Dogs and a pinch of Lat.

Makhuwa is good with indaba

thats what comes to mind at the moment. I have some DKF I plan to play with too.

Reactions: Leomania

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I like HU tobaccos.

Makhuwa with a pinch of lat is great

Directors cut with a pinch of salty dongs by Dan pipe is tasty. Also you can add a pinch of blending lat for something different

Others...Marlin Flake goes well with wallace Flake. It also goes well with HH latakia flake
I'd hate it if my salty dong got pinched but none of my trunks have zippers so when I go to the beach I'm safe...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I've done a little mixing from time to time. Mostly something like Ennerdale to either add a little to something else, or cut it down a bit.
And with bits left in tin that got dry at the end or too small for a full bowl.
Sometimes a win, sometimes not.