PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner

Aug 1, 2012
USA
I've smoked a couple carburetor pipes. As long as you properly understand how to use them, they work well. A great revelation, no but they can work well.

Reactions: Searock Fan

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Would they be hot, if the cool air enters after the burning takes place? (I may not understand this correctly)
In my head the smoke would be diluted by cool air.

What if a Falcon had such a hole in its condensation reservoir? (or whatever the bottom bit is called)

Reactions: anotherbob

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I've never smoked a tobacco pipe with a carburetor. But based on the other pipes I've smoked, I'm still confused. With your finger you block the carburetor hole and the pipe fills with smoke. Then you remove your finger and draw all the smoke in. I see why you want that on non briar pipes smoking other crops. As cool as a mouth full of yummy yummy tobacco could be, I'm not sure* if it would work like that.

*I mean just that, I'm not sure.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I've never smoked a tobacco pipe with a carburetor. But based on the other pipes I've smoked, I'm still confused. With your finger you block the carburetor hole and the pipe fills with smoke. Then you remove your finger and draw all the smoke in. I see why you want that on non briar pipes smoking other crops. As cool as a mouth full of yummy yummy tobacco could be, I'm not sure* if it would work like that.

Don’t overthink it. It’s not like a left handed pipe, your not holding a finger over it or anything. It’s a very tiny hole. The amount of air it lets in is very small. It’s in the bottom of the bowl not the airway. The claim was that it let in a very small amount of cool air just as the smoke entered the airway to cool it off and drop out the moisture. It was a gimmick, in reality it does almost nothing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Sorta once smoked a pipe that had a burnout hole like that. And it sorta worked in a PITA way. Like yeah it mixed in air which did make the smoke cooler but also meant to get a little smoke you had to puff like a mad man to get a trickle of smoke. The smoke also tasted bland even though it avoided tongue bite. I feel like this is the kind of thing that is for the person that can't not smoke a pipe super hot and for them it would be great or at least serviceable. Also the bowl would get super hot to the touch.
Again the hole in the pipe was about the same size and in a similar place.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Doe
I've one. I think the carburetor allows more air into the chamber, thereby making the smoke hotter. There's a reason why they no longer make pipes with carburetors.
Doesn't it work both ways? As in air goes in, but water drips through the same hole as condensation takes place? It seems to me like it's an odd system ..

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017

As has been said, the carburetor seems to have little to no effect on the way the pipe smokes. The metal carburetor part gets very hot. You would probably not put your finger on it intentionally more that once when smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Years ago I had an carburetor pipe and saw no benefit from it, so I finally taped over the slots and smoked it the regular way. E.A. Carey used to sell those inexpensively with magazine ads, and sold a lot of them. I think it harkens back to the days when pipe sales was a big competitive industry and all kinds of gimmicks were used to attract customers. Most of them weren't good.

Reactions: AroEnglish

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
Southern U.S.A.
A lot of guys talk about their pipe smoking too hot. If you're one, have I got a pipe for you. Buy a calabash. I've got a couple I've had for 50 years and can tell you they smoke as cool as anything there is. Plus, with a block meerschaum bowl they always have a wonderful taste. The only downside I can find with them is they can tend to burn rather rapidly, so pack them firm. And, there is no need for a carburetor! puffy

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
I feel like this thread is kinda going in circles with people commenting without having read any of the actual comments. 😂

Q: Don’t they smoke hot?
A: If you puff like a freight train, yes just like all your other pipes. If you smoke normally, no more than any other pipe.

Q: doesn’t stuff drip out of the hole? A: No, the the jet is proud of the bottom of the bowl. So unless you’re smoking overly wet goopy tobacco it does not drip out.

Q: don’t you have to puff really hard to get any smoke?
A: no, the hole is VERY small, it has no effect on your ability to draw.

I get the distinct impression that some of you are very hot smokers with very wet tobacco.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I have two yello bole carburetor pipes. I have smoked one of them about a dozen times and it seems to smoke a little cooler. I have a 2nd one that has dual carbs I have not smoked yet. So a Two-barrel model.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The E.A. Carey pipe didn't have the little valve (?) at the base of the bowl. It had little vent slots on the stem as I recall. I didn't notice any cooling of the smoke, but I don't smoke hot anyway. I just didn't see a benefit, and it so diluted the flavor, I found it unsatisfying.