Anyone Remember the ASP Group Pipe Buys?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes
6 Fresh Castello Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
23 Fresh Bruno Nuttens Pipes
New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Around 20+ years ago there were several group pipe buys coordinated on the old alt.smokers.pipes newsgroup.

I remember a direct buy from Alberto Bonfiglioli that was coordinated by Ray Bromely (sp?).
Then later there was a gentleman that lived in Katy, TX I believe that ran a ASP direct buy from Les Wood (Ferndown) and later, a group buy through tobacconist James Barber that included multiple carvers like Bill Taylor (Ashton) and Les Wood. The L.W.’s were store branded and stamped as “James Barber” in that later buy.
Any of you that remember this?

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Around 20+ years ago there were several group pipe buys coordinated on the old alt.smokers.pipes newsgroup.

I remember a direct buy from Alberto Bonfiglioli that was coordinated by Ray Bromely(sp?)
Then later there was a gentleman that lived in Katy, TX I believe that ran a ASP direct buy from Les Wood (Ferndown) and later, a group buy through tobacconist James Barber that included multiple carvers like Bill Taylor (Ashton) and Les Wood. The L.W.’s were store branded and stamped as “James Barber” in that later buy.
I would have been just graduating high school so... no. Good luck tho!
I think it would be cool to organize such a thing today.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX

I remember a direct buy from Alberto Bonfiglioli that was coordinated by Ray Bromely (sp?).
Through A.S.P. I acquired several group-buy pipes; a Bonfiglioli, a Viprati, and a Tinsky.
Good times!!

Reactions: dcon and peregrinus

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Ah, at last something that was before my time here.
To be fair, there was quite a lot of stuff that happened here, and on other forums and services, before you arrived in 2013.
I would posit that 90 % of post 2013 discussions are rehashes of prior threads.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
That’s how I became aware of Bonfiglioli during that time. Back then you could order one of his catalog shapes and get the pipe, then send him a personal check for $110. If I recall Tinsky did a few ASP pipe of the years. There were some epic threads on ASP and, besides the Pipe Collector and the Pipe Smoker Ephemeris, online pipe groups were so new that a lot of the older generation, guys in their 40’ and 50’s at the time, were sharing their knowledge with the next generation of pipe smokers. Estate pipes were dirt cheap at that time also.

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Slightly ahead of my time. ASP was waning when I started smoking a pipe (and forums coming into vogue).
The “internet” was like an electronic Wild West in the early 90’s and ASP was, of course, an unmoderated group of pipe enthusiasts, hobbyist carvers, budding blenders and professional blenders and pipe makers. It billed itself as, “the most civil news group on the internet“ and it really may have been that at that time.
I remember there were some really nice and generous people on there in the mid 90’s when I first found my way there. As a new pipe smoker I was gifted tobaccos and a lot of free advice. It was great while it lasted but I left around 2000 when things began to become less cordial and the group became overrun by cranks, crackpots and trolls.

Reactions: BROBS and dcon

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
The “internet” was like an electronic Wild West in the early 90’s and ASP was, of course, an unmoderated group of pipe enthusiasts, hobbyist carvers, budding blenders and professional blenders and pipe makers. It billed itself as, “the most civil news group on the internet“ and it really may have been that at that time.
I remember there were some really nice and generous people on there in the mid 90’s when I first found my way there. As a new pipe smoker I was gifted tobaccos and a lot of free advice. It was great while it lasted but I left around 2000 when things began to become less cordial and the group became overrun by cranks, crackpots and trolls.
I left about the same time.
It was the generosity of ASP that started my love of the pipe. I received a big box of tobacco and a few pipes to get me started, I will never forget that group.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I left about the same time.
It was the generosity of ASP that started my love of the pipe. I received a big box of tobacco and a few pipes to get me started, I will never forget that group.
I’m with you guys. I started somewhere in the 90’s and may have stuck around a bit longer than either of you. However, I read more than I posted. I do not even recall my user name. I was a registered lurker more than anything else. It was great and full of great characters in the early days. You are, also, correct that the trolls and idiots ruined it.