Anyone Remember the ASP Group Pipe Buys?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

36 Fresh Rattray's Pipes
60 Fresh Neerup Pipes
36 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
36 Fresh Estate Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I also used a lot of usenet before the Eternal September. It’s an experience that can only be replicated on the frontiers, where there is a barrier to entry.

I used it a lot too in the early 90's and remember quite well how awful it was when the AOL crowd showed up. It ruined the Internet as it was, but it ruined AOL too. It was two different cultures that were better off separate. AOL worked pretty well as it's own isolated community--adding usenet didn't do it any favors.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It was two different cultures that were better off separate.
I’m starting to think this is an important lesson for many things. I’m not sure that one global culture for mankind synchronized through the internet is working out for everyone.

But I have already drifted so far off topic I’m sure that I’m getting put in killfiles.

Reactions: BROBS and logs

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I'm surprised to hear you're not sure, because I'm not uncertain about it in the slightest. The modern Internet has fouled up the world and robbed it of it's senses. It's effect on society has been akin to handing a Ferrari to a toddler and expecting them to make good use of it. In hindsight, it's a tool we would have been better off never having invented.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
along with the phones of today. Sad state of affairs... cray :poop:

I’m pro-internet, as I think freeing the flow of information is ultimately a great thing. However these damn smartphones are the worst! I’m playing on mine right now while I should be hanging out with my wife. Nothing but a distraction from daily life. Guilty as charged.