PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Pooh-Bah

Can't Leave
Apr 21, 2023
Central Maryland
In my Fire Emblem series(?) playthrough I skipped ahead to Three Houses.
Very nice, and damn long.

Counting the Cindered Shadows side story, my first playthrough took about 90 hours.
Next on the agenda: Genealogy of the Holy War (aka, Fire Emblem 4)

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I play the retro stuff with my 7 year old son. Don't want him playing the modern addiction-creating games 🤣

I use to play alot before wife and kids took priority ofy life. Use to play WoW in the good ol days

jackattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
I'm a big D&D fan and I loved the Divinity Series from Larian so Baldur's Gate 3 was a huge nerd boner for me. Civilization 6 and Stellaris are two of my favorite games with over 1k hours in each. Recently I've been playing Last Epoch and arguing with myself over buying Cities Skylines 2. I'll eventually get the Elden Ring DLC because From Software just makes great games.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Started over. Hadn't played in a while.
I'm going through the DLC now, overall liking it a lot, perhaps more than the base game. Some mixed feelings, they seem to have toned down the moronically delayed attacks of the base game, the map is spectacularly wild and beautiful, but then gain they have put so much layering, cliff drops etc acting like gatekeepers which takes away from the open world design.

I still can't make up my mind if I have a preferred Soulslike. Dark Souls 1 is incredibly good, but one can see that it's dated if played now (I did, recently). DS 3 is just a lot more of DS 1, just better in every way, and Elden Ring is a new thing building on and expanding on many of what worked on DS. Haven't played Bloodborne unfortunately.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I'm a big D&D fan and I loved the Divinity Series from Larian so Baldur's Gate 3 was a huge nerd boner for me. Civilization 6 and Stellaris are two of my favorite games with over 1k hours in each. Recently I've been playing Last Epoch and arguing with myself over buying Cities Skylines 2. I'll eventually get the Elden Ring DLC because From Software just makes great games.
Nice bro I play BG3, Stellaris and Last Epoch as well.

Still messing around with Armored Core 6 the original From Software franchise.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
I dont play Soulsborne Games but i've been enjoying getting on discord and chatting with my friend while he plays the Elden Ring DLC. It makes me want to get the base game eventually i just got a lot in my backlog.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
One of my best friends is the same way. They definitely aren't for everyone.
Couple of my best friends will say “Larian is the best RPG house there is”. It’s not because I didn’t try, really don’t know what it is. I GET that they are objectively good games with huge attention to detail, made by people who know and love RPGs. I just can’t seem to ever have any fun with them…

Divinity 1 I finished and literally can’t remember anything about it. Really next to nothing, dunno how that’s possible! I’ve been playing RPGs for 30+ years (electronic and tabletop) and never had such a mind blank with a game.

Divinity 2 I didn’t finish, gave up trying to have fun somewhere in Act 6 or so (when you get to Arx?). Something about half the screen being permanently covered with poisoned curse oily ice necrofire got on my nerves ;)

Baldur’s Gate 3 I again tried and failed to have any fun with so I decided it’s just something Larian-related.

Reactions: jackattack

jackattack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 15, 2024
Austin, TX
Couple of my best friends will say “Larian is the best RPG house there is”. It’s not because I didn’t try, really don’t know what it is. I GET that they are objectively good games with huge attention to detail, made by people who know and love RPGs. I just can’t seem to ever have any fun with them…

Divinity 1 I finished and literally can’t remember anything about it. Really next to nothing, dunno how that’s possible! I’ve been playing RPGs for 30+ years (electronic and tabletop) and never had such a mind blank with a game.

Divinity 2 I didn’t finish, gave up trying to have fun somewhere in Act 6 or so (when you get to Arx?). Something about half the screen being permanently covered with poisoned curse oily ice necrofire got on my nerves ;)

Baldur’s Gate 3 I again tried and failed to have any fun with so I decided it’s just something Larian-related.
I'm the same way with Divinity 1. I know that I played and finished it...I just can't remember anything about it.

Divinity 2 I played with a couple of good friends from start to finish. That game is hard and the pacing is a bit slow, but I had a great time.

BG3 is a de-tuned Divinity 2 with D&D mechanics. I really enjoyed exploring the classes. I played Acts 1 and 2 probably a dozen times and only finished Act 3 once... so there is that. I'm a big fan of The Forgotten Realms and 5 edition so it pushed all the right buttons for me.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA

I wasn’t huge into Larian rpgs, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 under the Josh Sawyer Obsidian team are probably my favorite CRPG’s of all time. BG3 is pretty fun tho ngl.

That being said I never understood how they (Larian) ended up with the Baulders Gate license considering the Pillars series was more a true successor to the franchise, in terms of design and gameplay, then anything Larian had done (all turn based games). Kinda always thought Obsidian would make BG3 up until Larian announced it.

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
I like PoE 1. I imagine they didn't get Baldur's Gate because they couldn't afford the license (just speculating). Both PoE games were crowdfunded.
Yea that makes sense.

What class you playing this Last Epoch cycle? I'm playing Earthquake Werebear, I pretty much go some version of Werebear usually Cold DoT.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I did finish PoE 1, also hazy memories, just recall the last battle vs two giant…things. The whole thing about my memory and Larian games is odd though, I distinctly recall several major battles from BG1 (Sarevok) and 2 (Bodhi, Twisted Rune, Thieves Guild and others) and dozens of other RPGs, yet I’m blocking out anything Larian :)

I had high hopes for BG3 because Illithids were always my favourite villains.