PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Paul 3.0

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 10, 2019
Anderson, SC
Anyone play any crpg games? I'm playing Solasta on Xbox right now, Baldur's Gate 3 looks amazing.
solasta as perfect as a tactical representation of dnd 5e, the character models are kinda butt, but that tiny studio made a great game that people dont pay enough attention to. HOWEVER BG3 had more money than god, and they spent all of it if you feel me (can adjust genitals in character creation), for a game that has 100+ hrs and only 12 levels its insane. Side note, I have never liked Larian games. I think the Divinity games are poo

Reactions: NomadOrb

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
Anyone play any crpg games? I'm playing Solasta on Xbox right now, Baldur's Gate 3 looks amazing.
Pillars of Eternity 1&2, loved them both and yeah BG3 is dope.

Honeslty surprised Larien got the BG rights and made it turn based in the style of their DoS games. Obsidian literally made Pillars of Eternity as spiritual successors to BG1&2.

Reactions: NomadOrb

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Definitely seems like BG3 was a labor of love, unfortunately I have to wait until it's released on Xbox next year.

@Paul 3.0 agreed, the character models look muddy, but the game has a lot going for it and is very enjoyable.

I haven't played the Divinity games, but I've heard great things.

@Peter Turbo After Solasta, I'll be going through the Pillars of Eternity games, want to get ready for Avowed.

Reactions: Peter Turbo

harryson3545

Lurker
Aug 17, 2023
My last video games were csgo and Noa. Second ones is crypto simulator. Where players build a deck of 16 hero cards and 10 support cards and whrn the game starts, 4 random hero cards are placed on the battlefield along with 2 random support cards. I found that game on top crypto games and decided to play.
Once upon a time I was into these games too. But now I'm waiting for the release of a browser-based Web3 game. For completing tasks, the player will receive internal currency Sugar. It is necessary for access to "rewards". The plot of the game revolves around the town of Sugartown. According to the backstory, a certain portal opened on its territory, from which came the creatures of Oras.

Jun 27, 2016
Spun this up to unlock the duck-racing challenge & collect the Big Bronze, Silver, & Gold Medals, & also to walk around a bit:
IMG_3498.JPG

Lets go!
IMG_3500.JPG

Always fun to trigger the '747 on final to Kai Tak' animation:
IMG_3501.JPG

Walking down this alley brings you to a shop with a back doorway hidden out in the open, leading to an alley where you can find the Big Bronze Medal, which is a step to unlock the duck-racing. Can you spot the kittahs?
IMG_3505.JPG

I had a bit of trouble finding this place because the hint guides usually say to go to a vacant lot somewhere in the Green Market Quarter, & I was going to the one with the three kids usually running around in it, not too far from here. The door where you actually have to go is boarded up since I have already gone in there & retrieved the medal, but when open it leads to a vacant lot, & you get a shenmue load screen titled 'A Vacant Lot'. There are a couple of conditions that have to be met in order for the medal to be there, & the door might be boarded up until then as well. I'm not sure as it is easy to overlook, & I was trying to remember if I had ever been back there before. Once I walked out with the medal & turned around to look at the entrance, it was boarded up.
IMG_3504.JPG

Another angle at night:
IMG_3503.JPG

Unlocking the duck-races & collecting the three medals was a fun side-quest which contains many interesting things to do. There are at least three ways to get the bronze medal, but I had fun trying to find the alleyway. You can also gamble at a particular game stand & win it there, or you can run a sequence stemming from missing a particular QTE sequence during the stolen-bag chase scene, which I had already passed. Next, you have to get the silver medal, which is a little more challenging. It involves going to the arcade & sparring with two characters that you had to interact with in order to get the bronze medal. The first I was able to dispatch after a few losses by spamming sweep-kicks, but the second opponent is definately a challenge. Some were saying the hardest match in the game, & yeah maybe. I thought that the samarui dude was the toughest due to his tough QTE combos, but this Izumi match is pretty tough. She'll block most anything you throw at her unless you time it properly, & she'll grapple you if you get too close, or if you throw a slow combo. Her holds are pretty fierce, not to mention her QTE hold which she will spam you with if you give her the chance, & it is a tough button combo. I could only hit them if I looked down at the buttons to make sure I would hit the correct ones. You have to hit left+right, & then top+bottom to slip her QTE. At least she only has that one QTE combo, but she will spam them back-to-back if you let her. If she lands it once, you are losing half of your health. You have to hope to counter it into a slam which I was sometimes doing, but honestly wasn't sure how I was linking the slam after evading the QTE. Eventually I put together a fight strategy & was able to beat her after at least 50 attempts. I went into my Moves List & set anything I could adjust towards less power & more speed, & avoided hitting slow combos. I could sometimes spam her with my sliding power elbow, but it was tough to get going. I did a lot of one or two strike punching & quickly retreating early in the fight, & was able to evade all but maybe one of her QTEs by evading, or evading into hitting her with a slam counter, & then switched to more kicking about half-way through the fight. I finally defeated her with a slam counter after evading another QTE attack, which was supremely gratifying. All of that gets you the silver medal, & Izumi will take you to the duck-races once you go back to the Tomato store to talk with her. Once you bet on a duck which wins a race, you have to head over to Man Mo Temple & catch two red leaves at once, twice. This is a fun excercise. Once you do that, you should hear a quack, & a duck feather should float down, & you have to catch it. At that point you will look up & a duck is in the tree, & you are given the option to catch the duck! I am playing the PAL version which is in Japanese & I have the sub-titles turned on, & this duck has a smart mouth in the subtitles! Once I had aquired my duck, it was a lot of fun to go back & enter him into the duck races. This time you are able to control the duck, & his skill will build as he races. Once you win a race with your duck, you are awarded the Big Gold Medal, & you can continue to race at any time by going back to the Tomato Store to meet with Izumi. My fastest time after winning two races was a 34 with a something, I forget exactly.
Here is my racing-duck hanging out with Master Jianmin:
IMG_3502.JPG
Quack quack!

Last edited:

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I used to enjoy playing video games, haven't in a long time though. I was more a fan of RPGs than anything else. Oblivion (though I never finished because I did all the DLC first years after the game was released, started main story and it got way too repetitive), Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2, Chrono Trigger, etc.

Last time I played a video game was maybe 4 or 5 years ago? I played the three Witcher games before they released "The Witcher" series on Netflix? Last time before that was maybe 7 or 8 years ago when I finally played Batman: Arkham Asylum. Prior to that was Oblivion. Most games I didn't play until years after they came out.

Played a lot more when I was a kid though (Parasite Eve games, Super Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, most of the NES Castlevania titles including Symphony of the Night on SNES, Front Mission, most of the Final Fantasy games, Diablo 1 and 2, a whole bunch of of other games I can't remember off hand). I guess I kind of liked some action-platformers too (there was a PS2 game where you played as a vampire I think called Dante, used guns and swords or something), and strategy (Front Mission, FF Tactics, etc).

I basically all but quit though when everything started shifting to MMO RPGs and online multiplayer anything (especially FPS games). Can't stand any of that. Games were an escape from people for me, I don't want to have to rely on others to play. I do realize single-player games have still been and still are made, and I tried a few but most just seem like repacked older games and lacked fun or a good story. And technically you could play games like Left4Dead solo, but the very end is impossible to beat because the AI is too dumb to know how to climb a stupid lader opposite an incoming hoard of zombies, and the AI always activating the witches used to piss me off. Playing with the AI team was frustrating enough to take the fun out of it, and finding 3 other people who weren't worse than the AI was took forever.

The last console I ever had was a Playstation 2. Started on NES and Attari back when everyone else had SNES. Grew up poor, so I was always a generation behind on systems (when people would sell their old stuff to thrift stores when new systems came out).

I don't have the motivation anymore for gaming though. I just play nonograms puzzles on my phone and the daily free NYT Wordle, Connections, mini crossword and Sudoku.

Reactions: balkisobrains

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I use the game "Zwift" for as a bicycling training app. Its kind of like the shooter games where you have an avatar. It operates like a Peloton, but its a lot less expensive, and I can use my own bike with my handlebars/seat, pedals (clip-in) Etc.

My gravel bike connects to the game via Bluetooth and monitors wheel speed, RPM and power. This winter, I rode 600 miles (before fracturing my hip!). I can ride by myself, join races, group rides. My brother lives two hours away, but we ride together in the game once a week with his cycling club.

Tour-De-France riders use this game for their training. The races are pretty intense, I do not do that.

When you ride, you earn points and unlock achievements (similar to car racing games). I could never ride 20-25 miles indoor on just a trainer, it would be too boring. In this game, riders can catch and pass you, then you have to catch up etc.

This is my setup from last winter, I had a wheel-on trainer. I just upgraded to an on-wheel "smart trainer" and now, when I go up/down hills, the effort needed to maintain speed increases/decreases,just like out on the road. Some folks only ride on Zwift, they never ride outside.

This gets me thru the winter months and rainy days.

I run the program thru my laptop, then broadcast to a television. I could also just "ride" on the laptop, but I like the large screen. The investment below,was about $150 and the "game" costs $15/month. My new trainer was a significant purchase.(Zwift Hub)

1692447740640.jpeg

Here's a screen shot of me "riding", I'm the rider in the yellow/black jersey. I'm starting a 10% grade hill climb here, and not doing very well.... Some riders put out 600 plus watts of power, pro riders typically.
I can see on the right, who is ahead or behind me.

Zwift.jpeg

I'm five weeks into my post-hip replacement. I can begin riding again on Sept 1st and will start on the trainer, before venturing outside.

• Love
Reactions: Peter Turbo
Jun 27, 2016
Spun up some of that REAL driving simulator:
IMG_3518.JPG
Was turning about four seconds slower than my fastest recorded lap here at Suzuka, because this game is challenging. That's why it's called 'Ferrari F355 Challenge'.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Man, that reminds me of when I was in middle school, you ever play Stunts? That and Scorched Earth kept me occupied during computer time in the TaG program. Now I'm thinking about how much more powerful my phone is than those Windows 95 PCs were and wondering wtf the thing can't keep up with simple tasks anymore. I mean we put people on the moon with less computing power, now my alarm fails to go off if power saving mode is on (but some how can give me a notification at the exact time my alarm should have gone off to tell me it failed because of power saving even though that was NEVER a problem for 3 years until they updated it for no reason other than to make it visually uglier). :mad:

Anyway, PC nostalgia:

Last edited: