PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SmokeClouds

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2019
New York
Read up on why Bottled in Bond was started. Comparable to the stuff people called whiskey back then....
The BIB act in 1897 was more about taxation than truthful labeling. The Taft Decision in 1906 was concerned more with what whiskey is, how it can be classified and labeled.
There were many unscrupulous producers at the time with many adulterated 'whiskeys'. Today things are better but not by very much.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
The BIB act in 1897 was more about taxation than truthful labeling. The Taft Decision in 1906 was concerned more with what whiskey is, how it can be classified and labeled.
There were many unscrupulous producers at the time with many adulterated 'whiskeys'. Today things are better but not by very much.
from my understanding the things sold as whiskey could be well a heck of a lot of different things.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Sorry Jay, didn't mean to derail your thread, but now you have me interested."

No problem Troutface, it's always nice to see what others have to contribute to the thread, moreso if the thread is about whisky/whiskey as I usually learn something useful :col:

I might blag a bottle if/when the price comes down.

Regards,

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
There are a large number of distilleries in Central Texas now. Balconies True Blue USA very good whiskey as a couple of folks have already stated.
Let me also recommend the Treaty Oak bourbons. They have more of a traditional Kentucky bourbon bite which I like.
I cannot recommend Garrison Brothers, however, and in my opinion its way overpriced.
Happy Texas drinking!

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I know many of these Indy brands are just bottling bulk whiskey from Bardstown, KY.
A lot of the indy or craft brands are actually bottling whiskey from MGP Whiskey in Indiana. The sell unaged spirits to smaller companies who then do the aging in barrels at their locations. (Check the labels and you will find some that don't specify that the company actually distilled the whiskey.) Then there are a lot of whiskey that were distilled in Bardstown and then sold to other brands for aging or finishing.

That being said, Balcones is one of a number of good Texas distilleries that source grain grown in Texas. I've had the Balcones Pot Still, Texas Single Malt and Baby Blue (made with roasted blue corn). I liked the Single Malt and the Pot Still but I won't buy another of the Baby Blue.

If you come across it, Ironroot Republic's Harbinger Straight Bourbon is also a good bourbon distilled and aged in Denton, Texas.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
There are a large number of distilleries in Central Texas now. Balconies True Blue USA very good whiskey as a couple of folks have already stated.
Let me also recommend the Treaty Oak bourbons. They have more of a traditional Kentucky bourbon bite which I like.
I cannot recommend Garrison Brothers, however, and in my opinion its way overpriced.
Happy Texas drinking!
I also find Garrison Brothers to be way overpriced and that is based on the pours I've had at an acquaintance's house in December. He said, "It has to be good at that price." It was okay but I've had whiskey distilled in Louisiana that was better.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
I've had the Balcones Bourbon, it's good. Not great, but good.
I drink this Texas Bourbon almost every evening, I think it's great... goes well with a bowl of English and some soft jazz puffy

There's a lot of limestone around the Hill Country in Texas. Much like Kentucky, the water that has been filtered through the limestone is used to distill liquors of all types. From Tito's Vodka to all kinds of whiskeys.

068056915900.jpg

OldWill

Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
I've had the Balcones Bourbon, it's good. Not great, but good.
I drink this Texas Bourbon almost every evening, I think it's great... goes well with a bowl of English and some soft jazz puffy

There's a lot of limestone around the Hill Country in Texas. Much like Kentucky, the water that has been filtered through the limestone is used to distill liquors of all types. From Tito's Vodka to all kinds of whiskeys.

View attachment 130464
This is a good, traditional AND inexpensive drink. Well done!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

dontbeaburleyman

Might Stick Around
Dec 22, 2013
Central California
I've had and like the Balcones True Blue, Single Malt and Lineage. I enjoyed each of them. I agree about Garrison's. Good whiskey but have a hard time dropping $120 on a bottle. Really like Milam and Greene. The owner, CEO and master distiller are all women. Been to the distillery a couple of times and they turn out good juice. Treaty Oak is pretty good. Never been to Ironroot Republic Distilling but they seem to be turning out several good whiskeys.

I actually live in California but make it a point to try different distilleries when in Texas.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I remember as a late teen working a Summer job being an inspector stopping in KY and smelling a strong alcohol odor. As I turned back toward the car, I saw a sign that read "Wild Turkey".

I still say, bourbon is from KY and the rest is whiskey. Being from Tennessee, my favorite is seven year old George Dickel. The history of that product being most interesting.

I've been in Tennessee for over 15 years and that's my understanding: Bourbon's from Kentucky Up North. Tennessee Whiskey is from Tennessee only.

BTW, have you tried Dickel's blue label Bottled in Bond? It's magnificent, as is their 9-yr barrel select.

• Love
Reactions: Sweet Home Alabama
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I've been in Tennessee for over 15 years and that's my understanding: Bourbon's from Kentucky Up North. Tennessee Whiskey is from Tennessee only.

BTW, have you tried Dickel's blue label Bottled in Bond? It's magnificent, as is their 9-yr barrel select.
I have not. Someone told me Dickel buys their barrels or used to from Jack Daniels.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
Only real Bourbon comes from Kentucky....
Bourbon can be made anywhere, but the best bourbon is undoubtedly made in Kentucky. It’s not even arguable regardless of boutique this or that wherever it may be. However, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey is only from Kentucky, and that’s really all that matters as far as bourbon is concerned.

Jefferson’s, Blanton’s, Eagle….and the list goes on and on. Hell, even Buffalo Trace is a fantastic bourbon - and it’s incredibly wallet friendly. Talk about underrated bourbon! I think it’s mostly because people think it’s price makes it “cheap.” ?‍♂️