PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
'Balcones Texas Pot Still Straight Bourbon' is certainly a ne one on me. I never knew bourbon was made in Texas but what do I know? Anyone here ever tried it?

The tasting notes are...

"A bold, flavour-forward Texan pot still bourbon from Balcones, matured in charred oak casks, creating aromas of honeycrisp apples, toasted oak, popcorn, savoury crackers and well-oiled leather that fill the nose. The palate offers notes of honey, vanilla cream, roasted pecans, sandalwood and leather that linger in the finish."

and...

"Big flavours have always been the cornerstone of our prized Texas Whiskies, and Texas Pot Still Bourbon is no exception. Made grain-to-glass using a traditional pot still distillation ensures a rich and viscous spirit that stands up to aging in new charred oak without losing its essence. Each dram is full of character and body, with an aromatic entry and soft finish, for an approachable yet memorable experience."

....and it looks like this....

texas.jpg

Amazon has if for £43:45 for 70cl.

By all accounts they do a corn whiskey & a rye too, I'm just surprised I haven't come across them before.

Regards,

Jay.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Yep. From your Wiki article:

"On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution. Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.[37] The filtering of iron-free water through the high concentrations of limestone that are unique to the area is often touted by bourbon distillers in Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[38]"

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I have their brimstone. It's very good."

I never saw that one on Amazon, glad to hear it's good :)

"I know many of these Indy brands are just bottling bulk whiskey from Bardstown, KY."

"Or from MGP in Indiana"

It does say somewhere in the blurb it is actually distilled in Texas. I'm thinking it may be a new maker, yet to make a mark.

Regards,

Jay.

Reactions: kcghost and JOHN72
Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Yep. From your Wiki article:

"On May 4, 1964, the United States Congress recognized bourbon whiskey as a "distinctive product of the United States" by concurrent resolution. Bourbon may be produced anywhere in the United States where it is legal to distill spirits, but most brands are produced in Kentucky, where bourbon production has a strong historical association.[37] The filtering of iron-free water through the high concentrations of limestone that are unique to the area is often touted by bourbon distillers in Kentucky as a signature step in the bourbon-making process.[38]"
I remember as a late teen working a Summer job being an inspector stopping in KY and smelling a strong alcohol odor. As I turned back toward the car, I saw a sign that read "Wild Turkey".

I still say, bourbon is from KY and the rest is whiskey. Being from Tennessee, my favorite is seven year old George Dickel. The history of that product being most interesting.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
MGP sourced products can be pretty good, and I say that as someone who appreciates some top shelf stuff and knows the difference. For instance, Bulleit Rye tastes 2 or 3x its price.

Balcones isn't sourced elsewhere, though. They're the real deal, from the bottom up.

Their brimstone, which I posted a pic of above, is perhaps their most fascinating. Its mash bill is based on blue corn (not sure of the %), dried over Texas scrub oak smoke (a Texan answer to Scotland's tradition of drying malt over peat smoke).

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
"I have their brimstone. It's very good."

I never saw that one on Amazon, glad to hear it's good :)

"I know many of these Indy brands are just bottling bulk whiskey from Bardstown, KY."

"Or from MGP in Indiana"

It does say somewhere in the blurb it is actually distilled in Texas. I'm thinking it may be a new maker, yet to make a mark.

Regards,

Jay.
You have to read labels carefully. Some just say "bottled by", which means they didn't distill it. Can't trust anyone these days. :(

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
MGP sourced products can be pretty good, and I say that as someone who appreciates some top shelf stuff and knows the difference. For instance, Bulleit Rye tastes 2 or 3x its price.

Balcones isn't sourced elsewhere, though. They're the real deal, from the bottom up.

Their brimstone, which I posted a pic of above, is perhaps their most fascinating. Its mash bill is based on blue corn (not sure of the %), dried over Texas scrub oak smoke (a Texan answer to Scotland's tradition of drying malt over peat smoke).
I think Templeton Rye came from MGP, not sure if it still does. Some start-ups will use a contract distiller like MGP for a few years to earn money until their own product has aged and can be sold.