PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Spent part the day reaming, cleaning and buffing my pipes. Once I start, I love doing it. I'm amazed at how much carbon come out even when there doesn't seem to be much cake. My favorite part is buffing and shining. and seeing an old pipe go from drab and dull to polished. I like the look of a polished older pipe even better than new. These are just some of the bowls from earlier.
B44111FD-D590-46C2-83A9-E0E3B16AF3E3.jpeg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I just give them a good cleaning, wipe the outside down, and buff with a soft cloth, swab the bowl with a bent pipe cleaner after it’s cooled down, or wiped out with a micro fiber cloth.

Every so often I’ll buff with wax. A lot of my pipes probably don’t get smoked more than 10 times a year. A few get 50 tops. So it’s not like they build up lots of cake.

Reactions: Jwebb90 and BROBS

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
really? You take a buffer with you wherever you go?
I'm only ever at work or at home. I smoke one pipe at home before work which is broken down, cleaned with paper towels, Q-tips, and pipe cleaners then my smooth pipes (very few as for the most part I find them unattractive) buffed. My second pipe on days that I work is partially smoked on the way to work, during my three breaks, and on the way home at which time it gets cleaned as described above and more often than not, it's the same pipe.

Last edited:
Reactions: BROBS

Umberto

Lurker
Apr 11, 2020
I just bought a vintage Kleen Reem tool...paid way too much but it works okay, the mechanism feels a little crunchy when adjusting, but it does the job well and seems like it will last forever. I always wipe with a pipe cleaner and paper towel...but now with covid, paper towels are really on ration.

I don't think I will need to do any reaming of my pipes for at least a year or two. I had a heavily caked pipe that was given to me and I overly reemed it scuffing the inner bowl a little bit...now I know not to use so much pressure and just let the tool scrape. It squeaks like a banshee.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I HATE doing pipe maintenance. Easily my least favorite part of the whole thing. Especially cleaning shanks. Just mind-numbing. Boozy bristle cleaner in-and-out, fluffy cleaner in-and-out, repeat over and over.

I did get a knock-off of the Pipnet reamer tool from Amazon for like 20 bucks that makes trimming cake a breeze. So that helps!
I too kind of loathe the cleaning. Mainly because I'm new and have read many different ways: alcohol, no alcohol, warm water flush, etc. I was using 91% alcohol when I first started, but then read somewhere its not necessarily good for the briar. So, Idk. For now I just stick with a dry pipe cleaner after the smoke and periodically cleaning the tenon and monetise when needed.

Reactions: logs and danimalia
Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I too kind of loathe the cleaning. Mainly because I'm new and have read many different ways: alcohol, no alcohol, warm water flush, etc. I was using 91% alcohol when I first started, but then read somewhere its not necessarily good for the briar. So, Idk. For now I just stick with a dry pipe cleaner after the smoke and periodically cleaning the tenon and monetise when needed.
Mortise** darn autocorrect

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

The alcohol has no effect on the Briar unless you get it on the finish. I use Everclear because it leaves a sweet taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.