Anyone Else Have Working Dogs As House Pets?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
D20B28BF-B04B-4B2F-90B3-8B834123DD9E.jpeg8CB2AFBF-D735-4C21-98A0-4BEF9161D8A1.jpeg
Love my Coondog to death but he comes with his own set of challenges. First of which, I respect is the fact that the please me just to please gene is missing, he’s a free thinker. Totally food and “chase” motivated. I’m pretty sure that I could get him to wash my truck for a piece of cheese:ROFLMAO:.
I walk him for 3 mi every morning (at almost a jog) cause he wakes me at 7:00 am on the dot just to go. When he’s not sleeping, it’s full on Bumpas hounds from A Christmas Story! I won’t even get into the deafening bark, nose on/brain off or the “hound odor”......yup, he’s work but keeper and a goof! I would like to hear the stories from others.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Bella one of my good dog friends is a retriever that won't retrieve. Seriously you throw a stick she'll look at you like why would you do that. If you shot a bird she'd try to help it get better. Great dog terrible retriever. Also knew a dog bred to be a guard dog that just loved anyone. Probably would scare burglars who don't understand he just wants to cuddle. Yeah again great dog terrible guard dog.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who is a great upland bird hunting partner. As I sit here typing this, he is begging for attention. He is strong which he uses to plow through some of the thickest brush, agile to jump over fallen trees and has stamina to last a whole day busting birds with little to no breaks required. The downside is that when you spend that much time training him, he is glued to you. He does not like being home alone with the other dogs and will go with me to the store, even if he just sleeps in the truck while I shop. The fine print with these dogs is that they are majestic in the field but clumsy in the house. Think of a drunk bull in an antique china shop...
2ACC4068-296E-4280-B833-C2E226A5A41A.jpeg1A4CB943-6333-49DC-9DBD-F3D9C126C270.jpeg

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I have a German Shorthaired Pointer who is a great upland bird hunting partner. As I sit here typing this, he is begging for attention. He is strong which he uses to plow through some of the thickest brush, agile to jump over fallen trees and has stamina to last a whole day busting birds with little to no breaks required. The downside is that when you spend that much time training him, he is glued to you. He does not like being home alone with the other dogs and will go with me to the store, even if he just sleeps in the truck while I shop. The fine print with these dogs is that they are majestic in the field but clumsy in the house. Think of a drunk bull in an antique china shop...
View attachment 52274View attachment 52276
Yeah, I feel ya! Mine, not so much into pets but NEVER further away from me than an arms reach at all timesimage.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What wonderful dogs. 'Love 'em all. The Coon Hound is a handsome devil. That Pug could just about get by on his looks. My wife and I love to say Catahoula; he sounds like the perfect guard for the property. The German Shorthaired Pointer sounds like he's all-day action. The only trouble with working dogs is that they need an assignment most of the time. If you don't give them an assignment, they will get busy with some project, you may or may not like. The only trouble with our creatures is that they tend to be more appealing than our fellow humans. Bebe and Lulu looks like a comedy team, smart.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One of our members a few years ago had a good experience with his big hunting dog who fended off a bull moose in heat on a hike through the woods. It was just his thing to menace that huge animal away from his people with bared teeth and much growling. I assume he was pleased to see a fine cut of meat when feeding time came around.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes this is luna, we adopted her from a shelter that rescues animals from kill shelters down south. She had a bladder infection, and two types of worms when we brought her home. Many dollars later, she's much better.

However, she is all hunting dog. We are not allowed to have cats, and our pet rats are constantly being watched when she's around. Also small dogs she " herds" and tries to pin to the ground.

But I love her to death, she's a daddy's girl.

Screenshot_20201025-124231.pngScreenshot_20201018-180153.png
Screenshot_20201008-143718.png

Status
Not open for further replies.