Anyone Else Have Working Dogs As House Pets?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Yes this is luna, we adopted her from a shelter that rescues animals from kill shelters down south. She had a bladder infection, and two types of worms when we brought her home. Many dollars later, she's much better.

However, she is all hunting dog. We are not allowed to have cats, and our pet rats are constantly being watched when she's around. Also small dogs she " herds" and tries to pin to the ground.

But I love her to death, she's a daddy's girl.

View attachment 52306View attachment 52307
View attachment 52308
I think I see two daddy's girls!

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
My dog is an elderly Sheprador that has worked very hard at protecting her family from intruders and squirrels, and is now enjoying her golden years (she's 13 years old) being spoiled with every luxury that we can afford. She has saved my daughter from a creep/pedo at the park, she has been my perfect daily companion through several severe boughts with depression and anxiety issues, she has been a tireless guardian and alarm for my son with cerebral palsy (if he had a problem when I was out side or out of the room she alerted me), and has been the best family and guard dog anyone could ever hope for. She was abandoned and starved when we rescued her almost ten years ago, and cost us several thousand dollars in vet bills because her guts were plugged up with dirty diapers and garbage bags, but she was worth every penny and I Thank God for providing her every day.

20201027_180633.jpg

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
My dog is an elderly Sheprador that has worked very hard at protecting her family from intruders and squirrels, and is now enjoying her golden years (she's 13 years old) being spoiled with every luxury that we can afford. She has saved my daughter from a creep/pedo at the park, she has been my perfect daily companion through several severe boughts with depression and anxiety issues, she has been a tireless guardian and alarm for my son with cerebral palsy (if he had a problem when I was out side or out of the room she alerted me), and has been the best family and guard dog anyone could ever hope for. She was abandoned and starved when we rescued her almost ten years ago, and cost us several thousand dollars in vet bills because her guts were plugged up with dirty diapers and garbage bags, but she was worth every penny and I Thank God for providing her every day.

View attachment 52310
Bless her. My theory is that they are actually angels, and sworn to keep it a secret. If that's sacrilege, I don't care!

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
6695C8DD-F18E-4E03-A741-6F00A94D2EA2.jpegWe have a Doberman. He’s about to be 12, but still acts like a puppy when he gets excited. Super easy to train, very obedient, and rarely barks unless something’s wrong. Most dogs can be trained to do something on command, but I swear, Dobermans pick up on conversation. They are very observant of voice inflection, body language, and a lot of other things that other dogs I’ve had were mostly oblivious to. In spite of what a lot of people assume, they are very gentle, patient dogs, and excellent with kids. They were bred to be personal guard dogs though, so they tend to have a “person,” and they don’t like to let that person out of their eyesight. So they tend to be “Velcro” dogs. Makes it a pain getting ready for work in the mornings, because I’m constantly tripping over a dog, but he’s a great dog. I hate to think about it, but he’s getting pretty old now, and I know I’m going to miss him when he’s gone.

LBT

Lurker
Aug 10, 2020
Central Oregon
How it started...
IMG_6315.JPG

How it's going...
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lee

Last edited:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I've had several, a Rottweiler and Dobermans. We currently have a red Doberman that takes his job very seriously... a little TOO seriously. If you come around our house, he will sprint to the door or back gate and bark and growl and spin around in circles! The problem is he cant distinguish a legitimate threat vs a baby in a stroller or an old lady out for a walk! However, he instantly turns it off once he sees you're okay with me. Then all he wants to do is lick you and get a petting. Dante is a true "velcro dog". He's not just close, he has to be in physical contact. More than one knee has buckled when he unexpectedly leans against your leg! IMG_1600.JPG

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, dogs are angels. Cats are more like people, emotional and egocentric. A good dog is saintly and self-sacrificing beyond human capability. I could never live up to a dog, but I do love 'em.
cats evolved into what they are dogs got bred into our ideals. I often see dogs as being how we delusionally see ourselves in a lot of ways.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
View attachment 53028We have a Doberman. He’s about to be 12, but still acts like a puppy when he gets excited. Super easy to train, very obedient, and rarely barks unless something’s wrong. Most dogs can be trained to do something on command, but I swear, Dobermans pick up on conversation. They are very observant of voice inflection, body language, and a lot of other things that other dogs I’ve had were mostly oblivious to. In spite of what a lot of people assume, they are very gentle, patient dogs, and excellent with kids. They were bred to be personal guard dogs though, so they tend to have a “person,” and they don’t like to let that person out of their eyesight. So they tend to be “Velcro” dogs. Makes it a pain getting ready for work in the mornings, because I’m constantly tripping over a dog, but he’s a great dog. I hate to think about it, but he’s getting pretty old now, and I know I’m going to miss him when he’s gone.
My uncle had a doberman that he never trained. He was a handful. The dog never grew out of puppy stage. He would jump on me every time, and start licking. I thought it was cute but he was a huge dog. But it wasn't as bad as my father in law's rottweiler x)

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
However, he instantly turns it off once he sees you're okay with me. Then all he wants to do is lick you and get a petting.
Yep. Exactly. Mine doesn’t growl or anything, but he is definitely alert, all ears and eyes on anyone he doesn’t recognize. If he sees me relaxed with them then he’ll relax too. It’s crazy how “in tune” they are to nonverbal human behavior.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Working Dog????Not in my job description...

CuQZdB7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.