PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
So I'm finally there with my smoking no tongue bites. No harsh smokes. But........

After smoking does anyone get a little bit of tobacco in their pipe which didn't burn?

Also, what do you do with that bit? Keep it or bin it?

Even though Briar is extremely heat and fire resistant, I don’t like the idea of the flame hitting, coming in contact with the bottom of the chamber.

I only smoke 1/4 - 1/8 of the way to the bottom for all my pipes, there is absolutely no charring towards the bottom of the chambers of my pipes, my pipes are also all non-coated non-carbonized chambers, they are all natural, the way I like.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Even though Briar is extremely heat and fire resistant, I don’t like the idea of the flame hitting, coming in contact with the bottom of the chamber.

I only smoke 1/4 - 1/8 of the way to the bottom for all my pipes, there is absolutely no charring towards the bottom of the chambers of my pipes, my pipes are also all non-coated non-carbonized chambers, they are all natural, the way I like.
Depends what you’re smoking. If it’s that unicorn you better be smoking all of it ?

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Not Joking with this question--do some folks smoke down to the bottom of the bowl? I ask 'cause I think I may have read one or more tobacco reviews (don't recall what or where?) and it/they said something about the flavor coming out more or changing as they smoked to the bottom of the bowl. I don't usually smoke down the to bottom--exception being when I slowly smoke a small clay bowl of some kinds of Esoterica (and I figure it's so darn expensive I gotta try and get every last bit out of it :). Any thoughts?
just wondering-
mike
Sometimes I would smoke down to the last bit without even realizing. As others have mentioned above, it is all about the moisture content of the tobacco. Although the difference is not that huge compared to the nub of a good cigar, it is true that more flavor is coming out as you smoke to the bottom of the bowl.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I try to smoke the bowl as far down as it will go but usually there come a point near the bottom where it stops wanting to stay lit and I stop relighting it. I do like my tobacco on the drier side of the spectrum and really want the bowl to stay lit from top to bottom, but it rarely happens that way.
This is exactly my experience, except that I do prefer some moisture to my tobacco.

And to what JVNSHR relates about smoking to the last bit without realizing it. — Those times, for me occur so infrequently that I can remember where and when and what I was smoking.

I was relaxing after dinner at a summer gathering, pipe tasted great and then suddenly the draw became loose. I hadn’t even dumped any ash, not one relight. All was right with the world. It was a 50/50 jarred blend of MacBaren Va #1 and Carter Hall.

So in all those tobacco reviews where the catch line is “burns to a fine white ash”

I take that with a grain of salt. If there’s a way to do that all the time, I haven’t found it.

Dottle is no big deal. Most toss it.

But, what blend you're smoking affects what the last bit of the dottle tastes like. Latakias and aromatics, usually taste the worst at the bottom. But, when I first joined this forum, there were many who were dottle savers. Lawrence was a mod back then and great all around guy, and he was the biggest proponent of dottle saving. Sherlock Holmes did this also, and JM Barrie (author of Peter Pan) writes about it in some of his short stories from the turn of the century.

Virginias and some burleys get "stoved" as you smoke them, meaning that all of the extra sugars get caramelized as you smoke them, making them tastier and sweeter. You just dump all of the ash, and plop the dottle into your hand and put it into a jar or silk slipper. It dries out some, and mixes with a few other dottles of similar blends, then you just repack that for a stronger, sweeter, tastier smoke.

Yeh, people gave them shit talk on here. It definitely wasn't an across the board acceptance, but what is on here? I've done it, but now I usually smoke all but a few bits and pieces, not worth drying out. But, Lawrence was a spearhead in that experiment, like John has been for water rinsing. Maybe someone else would like to experiment. It's not really about being frugal, as much as it is about just experimenting for flavor and exploration for exploration's sake.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
If dried enough almost everything burns to a fine white ash.
That is I’m sure absolutely true. I personally just don’t enjoy a crisp, dry tobacco. I hear so many say “dry it. It has to be dried” but I’ve done it and even “loading” my bowl with crunchy tobacco, with no springiness to the touch, somehow takes away from my enjoyment. It may only be my mind’s perception, but I think it tastes richer moist and I don’t mind dumping the bottom 1/4. As soon as it doesn’t want to take a light.

By moist I mean a freshly opened tub. Squeeze it, pinch it, but it won’t clump. Feels luxurious and soft and smells great in the tin.

In talking about Granger. I think SWR compares to granger when smoked, but SWR is always packaged dry in comparison. So SWR doesn’t check that box for me. So there again, someone said it depends on the tobbaco. Another truthful Statement. But it’s all up to what each enjoys about blends, pipes and manner of smoking.

That is I’m sure absolutely true. I personally just don’t enjoy a crisp, dry tobacco. I hear so many say “dry it. It has to be dried” but I’ve done it and even “loading” my bowl with crunchy tobacco, with no springiness to the touch, somehow takes away from my enjoyment. It may only be my mind’s perception, but I think it tastes richer moist and I don’t mind dumping the bottom 1/4. As soon as it doesn’t want to take a light.

By moist I mean a freshly opened tub. Squeeze it, pinch it, but it won’t clump. Feels luxurious and soft and smells great in the tin.

In talking about Granger. I think SWR compares to granger when smoked, but SWR is always packaged dry in comparison. So SWR doesn’t check that box for me. So there again, someone said it depends on the tobbaco. Another truthful Statement. But it’s all up to what each enjoys about blends, pipes and manner of smoking.
In an aromatic, like a codger blend or even a fruity goopy blend, drying removes the flavor,,, yes true. I would never dry an aromatic or a codger blend. But, in my Virginia blends, the steam gets in the way of my enjoyment of the flavor, and it makes my tongue singe in pain. But, it is all up to personal choices. Not everyone likes a dry wine, which all wine is made dry, until someone back sweetens it with juice, which then makes a sweet wine a flavored wine, similar to an aromatic. IMO. But, it goes to demonstrate how people like different things done in different ways. No one is wrong, no one is 100% right. aesthetics... if everyone thought the same things in a woman was beautiful, then most of the human race would die off. Someone has to breed the fat girls. puffy

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Dottle is no big deal. Most toss it.

But, what blend you're smoking affects what the last bit of the dottle tastes like. Latakias and aromatics, usually taste the worst at the bottom. But, when I first joined this forum, there were many who were dottle savers. Lawrence was a mod back then and great all around guy, and he was the biggest proponent of dottle saving. Sherlock Holmes did this also, and JM Barrie (author of Peter Pan) writes about it in some of his short stories from the turn of the century.

Virginias and some burleys get "stoved" as you smoke them, meaning that all of the extra sugars get caramelized as you smoke them, making them tastier and sweeter. You just dump all of the ash, and plop the dottle into your hand and put it into a jar or silk slipper. It dries out some, and mixes with a few other dottles of similar blends, then you just repack that for a stronger, sweeter, tastier smoke.

Yeh, people gave them shit talk on here. It definitely wasn't an across the board acceptance, but what is on here? I've done it, but now I usually smoke all but a few bits and pieces, not worth drying out. But, Lawrence was a spearhead in that experiment, like John has been for water rinsing. Maybe someone else would like to experiment. It's not really about being frugal, as much as it is about just experimenting for flavor and exploration for exploration's sake.
Being of fan of “My Lady Nicotine”. Hysterical reading if you’ve never read this collection of short tales.

I’d heard many such prominent folks “saved and smoked their dottle” from Mark Twain to Winston Churchill. But I’d never considered the stoving and carmelizing aspect as Cosmic describes, always attributing it to frugality.

That’s very interesting. If you separate the ash, that unburned dottle is still good tobacco.

It could be the very best version of whatever blend you enjoy and instead we toss it.

All manner of arguement counter arguement are in my thoughts at the moment.

Could be the “caviar” of pipedom. After all, isn’t there an expensive coffee that is made by grinding beans after having been ingested by monkeys? All of a sudden, jarring up the dottle sounds like a rare treat!

I have a feeling, if tobbaco laws continue, we’ll all be saving it.

I have a feeling, if tobbaco laws continue, we’ll all be saving it.
Yes, notice that most of the dottle talk was from those who lived during the Great Wars. I bet many a soldier sat tobacco-less in trenches thinking about all of those dottles they tossed. Then, when they started saving dottles, they found something new and even more enjoyable for them.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I personally just don’t enjoy a crisp, dry tobacco. I hear so many say “dry it. It has to be dried” but I’ve done it and even “loading” my bowl with crunchy tobacco, with no springiness to the touch, somehow takes away from my enjoyment. It may only be my mind’s perception, but I think it tastes richer moist and I don’t mind dumping the bottom 1/4. As soon as it doesn’t want to take a light.

I agree with you. It really depends on tobacco, some won't even taste good if dried too much.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Nuttin but trash...use some keystones and there will be less waste and moisture.
Hi. A macaw. Awesome! How long have you had him?I've read that they have the intelligence, and to some extent the disposition, of a 2 y/o. Yes? I was strongly motivated to get a parrot at one time but backed off due to the avian vet fees.

Hope you and your bird are having a great time.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I tried smoking dottle a few times until I made a serious attempt, which reduced to saving it until I had enough for a bowl.

Contrary to others who found this sweet or otherwise enjoyable, to me it tasted like the ground up fur of a rat's behind. It was a mixture of 1792 and Dark Flake. Maybe something to do with these tobaccos, or maybe that I didn't save it in a silk slipper (kudos to Doyle for the picaresque detail of setting).

I tried smoking dottle a few times
Ha ha, well yes... which blends you do this makes all the difference. I don't imagine those burley heavy blends would sweeten up much. I know it says they have a Dark Virginia in them, but it's the empirial (imperial?) Virginias, not the sweet American ones. I put them in the burley category for ease of communication.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hi. A macaw. Awesome! How long have you had him?I've read that they have the intelligence, and to some extent the disposition, of a 2 y/o. Yes? I was strongly motivated to get a parrot at one time but backed off due to the avian vet fees.

Hope you and your bird are having a great time.

Did someone say Parrot! LOL ?

Does saltedplug want a cracker! ?

6305145C-63DB-42E4-8895-1E46C310C10F.jpeg