PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Not Joking with this question--do some folks smoke down to the bottom of the bowl? I ask 'cause I think I may have read one or more tobacco reviews (don't recall what or where?) and it/they said something about the flavor coming out more or changing as they smoked to the bottom of the bowl. I don't usually smoke down the to bottom--exception being when I slowly smoke a small clay bowl of some kinds of Esoterica (and I figure it's so darn expensive I gotta try and get every last bit out of it :). Any thoughts?
just wondering-
mike

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Not Joking with this question--do some folks smoke down to the bottom of the bowl? I ask 'cause I think I may have read one or more tobacco reviews (don't recall what or where?) and it/they said something about the flavor coming out more or changing as they smoked to the bottom of the bowl. I don't usually smoke down the to bottom--exception being when I slowly smoke a small clay bowl of some kinds of Esoterica (and I figure it's so darn expensive I gotta try and get every last bit out of it :). Any thoughts?
just wondering-
mike
I did for about a week into this new adventure. I started asking myself why does it get nasty and bitter near the bottom of the bowl. After dumping what very little was left I noticed the moisture in the tobacco, so I picked it up and smelled it (yes I really did) it was disgusting. So I decided to not smoke the last part with much better results.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Like the others say, dump it. Don't smoke it unless you like a wet bitter nasty smoke. I learned the hard way. :LOL:
I smoke most bowls to the end. It's lovely; no wet nor bitter dregs if it stays dry enough, which is a function of how dry the tobacco and pipe are, as well as speed of smoking, compactness of packing.

Oh, yeah, atmospheric conditions will make it tougher to keep it dry. (And the cycles of any nearby women!)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I did for about a week into this new adventure. I started asking myself why does it get nasty and bitter near the bottom of the bowl. After dumping what very little was left I noticed the moisture in the tobacco, so I picked it up and smelled it (yes I really did) it was disgusting. So I decided to not smoke the last part with much better results.
Yeah, wet dottle is nasty. Dry more and you can continue in bliss.

niblicck

Can't Leave
Oct 7, 2020
Alabama
Maybe it's the type of tobacco you're smoking but some of them just have a goopy wetness to them (aromatics). I guess when it starts to get off flavored just dump it. I tried several when I started out and just wasn't crazy about them and moved onto Virginia, Vapers and English blends pretty quickly.

Reactions: tjsgarden

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Only if you went to Catholic school.
I went to Catholic school. I remember my 5th grade Nun, Sister Mary Tarzan. (Lights pipe). This Nun had a stained-glass eye. That’s like a tattoo in nundom. Anyway, I sat in the row by the windows and we had to sit ramrod straight, eyes forward. (Puff puff). If the conditions were juuuust right, on the sunniest of days, that glassed eye of hers would cast a prism! (Puff Puff) As long as the light kept moving, you were fine. But if the prism stopped on your desk, you knew Sister Tarzan was up on ya. But I digress. What was this post about?