Anyone Else Enjoy Piping With Their Kids?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
My oldest likes the occasional cigar. I love enjoying it with him. He’s in college. Won’t ever touch cigarette or vape, but likes cigars. Of course I have those guilty feelings and must always say! Enjoy tobacco responsibly...

My kids too! They would never touch cigarettes, vapes or chewing tobacco (Or pot for that matter) but they do love the occasional cigar.

This is interesting because I did not pick up the pipe until they were all out of the house on their own, but now that they are making their own decisions as independent adults, they are moving beyond all the blanket anti tobacco propaganda and have come to the belief they can enjoy it as one of life’s pleasures. Two of them are now into the occasional pipe. Some of their friends like the occasioned cigar as well.

I do wonder if the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would ever consider this scenario exists? The decisions my kids made was not because that society and the evil tobacco industry preyed on them and suckered them in. Is it it possible that there are people who can make informed decisions and manage their own lives accordingly? Of course I am suggesting the answer is yes.

I’m proud of my kids and what I see in them in terms of values no government regulation will ever impart.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
This has been on my mind. I'm an older father and my sons are both very young (3 and 1.5). I wonder how I'll approach this in the years to come. It seems clear that tobacco smoking will become increasingly outlawed. By the time my boys are old enough it may be that tobacco smoking (even pipes and cigars) will be something that needs to be shrouded in secrecy. I'd not wish the need or desire to hide something on them. At this point all I can do is gaze into the crystal ball and try to view the future. In the meantime I haven't smoked in their presence although they've seen my pipes. On Saint Nicholas day when they get stutenkerl pastries with a clay pipe my oldest pretends to puff on it and associates it with me. That is as close I get to smoking with my boys.
My other vice, drinking, is something they are both aware of. I'm not getting drunk around them but I often drink a beer at night. My oldest calls beer "Papa's tea" and my youngest will walk over to me with a beer bottle. I sort of know the boys and I will enjoy a beer together in the future. Perhaps a pipe as well.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
My kids are 6 and 8 and often ask me 'pappa, are you going to smoke a pipe tonight?' They love hanging out with me on the couch outside, light matches and blow then out. I make sure I keep the smoke away from them of course, but love their company while smoking a pipe.

I'm honest about the health risks and tell them I only smoke a pipe every now and then because of it. When they are old enough I'm sure they will make a responsible decision on whether they want to smoke or not.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
With any luck, my kids will send my pipes and tobacco to the landfill. I foolishly took up tobacco use at 17 and it's been an expensive and unhealthy habit to maintain. Hope they learn from my mistakes, not copy them.

Reactions: danimalia

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Not yet, he is 4, and just started asking me questions about it. Not really sure how to handle it just yet. Not even sure how I'd feel if he eventually takes it up. Gotta think on that one.

Reactions: danimalia and JMcQ

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Lol I expected actual children ??
Yeah I was about to brag about how I've been teaching my 7 year old daughter how to smoke a pipe. Then realized that I probably shouldn't mention that.

Just kidding of course.

But we decided to quit having kids after her. (snip snip) so I'll have to wait till I deem her old enough to try my pipe. The rules in Wisconsin changed to 21. However I was 16 when I started smoking tobacco, and I'm not a hipocrit.

Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
My daughter is 8 months old, so it'll be at least a couple years :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though, I'll let my kid(s) decide. I will encourage them to thoroughly research the risks/rewards and make their own decision. Should they decide they enjoy it, I will likely enjoy it with them. If not, I will be proud of their decision to abstain and fully respect it.

p4ttythep3rf3ct

Might Stick Around
Mar 2, 2015
My 7 y/o daughter is very anti-smoking now. Just yesterday she gave me a concerned scolding for browsing pipes on eBay. Yet, she loves to open my cigar humidor to smell that sweet Spanish Cedar and tobacco mix. Go figure /shrug. I just try to tell her that yeah, cigarettes are horrible, but a cigar or pipe every once in a while is not the end of the world...and then I lose her when elaborating on the art of each craft lol

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have a 3 year old son, and 4 month old daughter. I have no idea what the future holds, but I truly believe that tobacco will remain extremely frowned upon, and probably get much worse. Most kids end up joining the bandwagon after being taught by teachers and the rest of society that tobacco is nothing but a disgusting addiction that can only lead to sudden death. As we get older, we start forming our own opinions on the world and live our lives the way we see fit. I will never suggest or force my kids or anyone into smoking or drinking, but if they take it up, I will do my fatherly duty and explain to them the risks, and suggest moderation for these things. Only time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.