Anyone Else Enjoy Piping With Their Kids?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
24 Fresh Estate Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I have 3 sons, all of which enjoy a pipe from time to time. Pictured here is my youngest, enjoying a nice bowl of Royal Flake with a glass of Johnny Walker Blue. There's something quite special about pondering life's little nuances while Piping with your offspring. I started a new Christmas tradition this year by giving each of my sons a new, quality pipe and a couple ounces of choice tobacco.
Life is good!20191029_163838.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
There's something quite special about pondering life's little nuances while Piping with your offspring.
I agree.
One of my sons is a cigar and pipe smoker and my son-in-law is pipe smoker. We have exchanged pipe and tobacco gifts at Christmas and the three of us attend the Chicago Pipe Show together every year. I really enjoy it when the three of us get together for a smoke.

My step son, who has finished grad school and gearing up to go to South Africa, has gotten into cigars... which is awesome, because he brings me a nice stick when he comes over. I am giving him a box of Our Fathers for gifts for his host family in SA.
But anyway, we enjoy smoking and talking about family politics and just mulling over the magic of life in general. It's nice. He is the only other male in my family, so it is a bonding thing.
I'm not going to even try talking him into pipes. Things like that are better left up to the individual. But, I enjoy our cigar time immensely.

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I'm not going to even try talking him into pipes. Things like that are better left up to the individual. But, I enjoy our cigar time immensely.
I agree with that. Bonding over a good smoke is more important than the method used to partake. 2 out of my 3 boys (my wife as well) actually prefer a cigar over a pipe. I don't get it, but I except it!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I enjoyed play smoking with my 7 yr old grandchild, his sister and him would spend summers at the farm, I would smoke on porch and he would pretend with a cob, we also practiced peeing off the porch trying to hit a cat, something every 7 yr old boy should learn. After summer he came back from school, took his cob out his backpack and proceeded to pee on tree in their front yard. Got a call from my daughter half mad half chuckling asked what did I teach him during the summer. I replied Everything a boy should know!

Idahojoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 30, 2019
Wilder, Idaho
I enjoyed play smoking with my 7 yr old grandchild, his sister and him would spend summers at the farm, I would smoke on porch and he would pretend with a cob, we also practiced peeing off the porch trying to hit a cat, something every 7 yr old boy should learn. After summer he came back from school, took his cob out his backpack and proceeded to pee on tree in their front yard. Got a call from my daughter half mad half chuckling asked what did I teach him during the summer. I replied Everything a boy should know!
Excellent Grandpaing my friend!

adui

Can't Leave
Aug 26, 2019
Mesa Arizona
None of my children are even remotely interested. Though its not a habit I should want my kids to take up, I do wish my son particularly would. It would give us a little more in common, and he might actually understand Dad a bit more. TBH it would be nice to sit and enjoy a bowl with any of my three.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Yup. My son in law and now his wife my daughter smokes pipes. We smoke on special occasions (I.e. my birthday).

It started with cigars because all of my kids like smoking cigars as something special to do with dad.

I don’t normally smoke cigars, so when they are about to come home for a visit, one of the first questions they ask is did I go out and buy cigars.

I am going to get some cobs to keep on hand in the future too.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
My 2 sons are still well below legal age but I find it funny that my oldest (14) hates all smoking and fake gags everytime he even sees a pipe in my hand, while my youngest (6) thinks it's super cool and wants to pick them up and pretend to smoke them and asks me questions about them. I bought him a stage prop cob and a bubble pipe to play with and it's super cute, but part of me feels like a bad parent for letting him "play smoke". I grew up with candy cigarettes, soap bubble pipes, bubble gum cigars, and big league chew so the other part of me feels like I turned out alright so I should just go with it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
growing up in 70's, everyone smoked. i knew i was going to smoke, and waited forever to buy my own pack with money i earned. my dream came true when i was 12 or so. my two sons growing up after our lord's year 2000 think tobacco is worst poison one can use, closely followed by alcohol. on top of that, they think bagpipes music sucks. oh well. they are good boys other than not joining me at smoking.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
My dad was a pipe smoker for a very brief part of my childhood. After that he has been a cigar guy. I think he loves when I sit in his back yard and have a pipe and hang out when we visit. (Which I didn’t do until 3 years ago, new to piping). My oldest likes the occasional cigar. I love enjoying it with him. He’s in college. Won’t ever touch cigarette or vape, but likes cigars. Of course I have those guilty feelings and must always say! Enjoy tobacco responsibly... you don’t smoke cigars all the time at school do you... he just laughs. I think it was so drilled into us “smoking is bad” I just have to say it. My youngest 16 zero interest. If he ever does want to try I’m into it when he’s 18.

I’m glad they that we, my father and my son, can share some of this together as a hobby. If he ever gets into pipes I’ll for sure support it! But only on the weekends and only one bowl a day, and brush your teeth when you’re done, don’t inhale...?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.